How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

the cover is quite good but editorial is much better
Sasha always delivers

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

we just got a new issue and i'm already ready for next month's..i hate feeling like this about Vogue Italia

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackos View Post
I'm not sure if I love the idea of studio shots mixed with the photos from real world, and I guess I don't. They could have at least shot the whole thing outside, now it's a bit weird and not only a little bit boring.
Yes the one with the two men do look out of place in the whole issue..

But to be honest I kind of like these non-model pictures more than the model ones I wish they were a bit bigger. These others are so acted, so fake...

although the colours are nice.

Last edited by gius; 06-05-2009 at 05:35 PM.
06-05-2009
don't look down

I don't think the non-model pictures are actually Meisel's work, I think he's incorporated them from some other source, but maybe that's because they look (a) archive and (b) so unlike his style.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
But there IS nothing experimental in the actual photography for this editorial - there are models wearing clothes against a very sparse background, that's it.

The landscape inserts have been added in the page layout stage, and if Meisel is directing this sort of collage design, to be honest, there are people out there who are much better at it.

Meisel is a master of studio photography, not putting silly effects on the front cover. I don't know why his Vogue Italia editorials are going this direction, his work doesn't need it (or shouldn't). Maybe he's bored with himself.
I agree it's not very experimental, but to say this ed is just a model wearing clothes in a very sparse backround is lazy. The ed is more than that. The styling, hair, setting, props and contrastive colours elevate it above a standard sparse backround shoot.

06-05-2009
don't look down

The props - that would be a tub of daffodils, cushions and some fruit. It's not an awful editorial, but at the same time, are people awarding it qualities it doesn't possess, simply because it appears in magazine X? That also would be lazy thought.

Are daffodils particularly symbolic of anything Moroccan? I must research this, out of pure curiosity.

V.I.P.

Well lazy or not, I like this ed.

Interesting point about the daffodils!

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

LOL at that cover. I love the shot of Sasha, but someone got carried away with photoshop brushes.

V.I.P.

I agree with what people are saying, but I just enjoy the saturated colours of the editorial. I'm getting more adjusted to the mixing of real life architecture/landscape stills with studio work from Meisel recently. Honestly VI has been pleasing this year thus far IMo but not awe-inspiring like 2005 say...

People are always going to say his VI work is better because there's some pretension/'coolness' about it, but honestly his two US Vogue editorials he's shot this year blow away his more 'arty' work here through just being simple, classic and beautiful.

The one thing that has annoyed me about VI recently is it's hardly kept it's ideology about featuring more black...even Asian models since last July's issue.

I mean Sessilee once in a while? Not enough Steven/Franca.

At least this editorial hopefully marks a change in anonymous Russian 16 yo blondes and spoilt British rich kids and going back to the top girls of today

06-05-2009
front row

Dear Steven Meisel,
Stop hiding your photos and models under layers of gaudy photoshop tricks and schmaltzy color manipulation. These pictures did not need gimmicks to catch anybody's attention.
Thank you.

06-05-2009
trendsetter

Finally someone good to be on the cover instead of those annoying British alternative girls.
I don't even like Sasha, but that editorial is amazing!

Last edited by Simera; 06-05-2009 at 06:58 PM.
06-05-2009
there is no fear

Meh.I liked april's cover and editorial better.And it's been said about 50 times,but what the hell is up with the standard,basic photoshop brusheswho's idea was that you think?Not Steven's,right?

Last edited by hfgl; 06-05-2009 at 08:30 PM.
06-05-2009
trendsetter

So true, I'd like to see more pure photographs than those photoshop things, digital softwares are not always help.

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

^yes, I would like to see pictures less photoshoped or with no photoshop at all as well. but it won't going to change, just will get worst.

06-05-2009
Fat Karl

An interesting dialogue going on in this thread. I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments! It's rather refreshing, actually!...much better than "She doesn't deserve it!!!" "Yes she does!" "No she doesn't!!!" "Oh, but yes she does!!!"

Anyway...

I don't particularly like the cover. I would have been more attractive without the silly floral pattern. Masquerade took the words right out of my mouth when she described the impression the floral overlay has-
Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
Also, the flowers look a paint brush a 4th grader would use on photoshop to create their Jonas Brothers wallpaper. It just doesn't look professional. It looks hastily done and cheap.
Word!

In regards to the editorial, I do like it, since on the whole it's aesthetically pleasing. Beautiful colors, interesting textures, and I do kind of like the collage effect that Miesel has been playing with for a while. I loved it in his January editorial with Karlie, Anna J, Natasha, Nimue, etc. The futuristic one. And I like it again here. Sure the whole thing has echoes of the Supreme package and Kate Moss's M&M W editorial a few issues back, but I think it still stands on its own.

But I would have to agree with others, though, that while it may be a good editorial, good just isn't cutting it. I will probably end up buying this issue because I like the main ed enough, but I'm also sensing the general feeling of something being wrong over at VI that others of you are feeling, too. Miesel's work has been subtly frustrating and not so subtely repetative for a while. My guess? The models. I think in a way, especially with the US May Vogue and the Costume Institute exhibit, maybe Steven is missing working with incredibly talented and inspiring models of the past, and I'm not just talking about the girls of the 90's, even just several years ago with Daria, Elise, Julia, Stam, etc. - his 2003-5 crew (that's not to say Sasha isn't a good model, though!).

Oh...and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercification View Post
The one thing that has annoyed me about VI recently is it's hardly kept it's ideology about featuring more black...even Asian models since last July's issue.

I mean Sessilee once in a while? Not enough Steven/Franca.
Too true.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 06-05-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, italia, meisel, pivovarova, sasha, steven, vogue