How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-05-2011
V.I.P.

I knew it was time for her to get another cover. I'm so glad Meisel shoots her for a cover at least once a year. Makes up for the bland ones of the previous months.

I really, really like the cover. It's not as spectacular as MeiselxMcMenamy's usual efforts but it's nice to see Kristen for a "pretty" theme for once. Gorgeous

02-05-2011
V.I.P.

why does most of the time a see work from her has to be like this one,same colors,same hair,same everything just different clothes.

A Belated Celebration

What a cool cover.. Meisel can do no wrong with McMenamy--even in LV ads which I think is awful Kristen was the only one who looked okay. I absolutely love this cover.
Hope the eds are good.

02-05-2011
front row

I don't like the expressionlessness. Don't tell me it was intended, of course it was.

Judging by the background and that fan I forsee a neat editorial. As usual I hope it will not be only-girl and not 12 images of Kristen lying on a bed playing with a sheet, now that I wrote that down it does sound as if exactly that could be amazing but really, I hope for some variety. The gloves make the cover for me.

On another note, wasn't the model on the last issue already wearing swimwear? And also, has Kristen taken Karen's place?

Last edited by freud; 02-05-2011 at 10:19 AM.
02-05-2011
she's got the look

I love this woman, so seeing her on the cover of Vogue Italia again makes me really happy. I can't wait to see more!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonsoJonathan View Post
why does most of the time a see work from her has to be like this one,same colors,same hair,same everything just different clothes.
Why alter such a signature and identifiable look? I think part of what makes McMenamy such a force is that she can make us totally reinterpret the way certain styles are presented with being just how she is. She really is the ultimate model and canvas for clothes, so I don't really see the need to fester with her look much. I love the savageness along with this overall softness..keeps the cover image from being a bit too tame.

I agree that it does feel like a cover from the earlier 2000's decade-but that's just because this is what Vogue Italia knows how to do. Not necessarily ground breaking for them, but always a pleasure to see.

My initial reaction when seeing the title to this thread was that I could imagine exactly what the cover would look like being that it was McMenamy by Meisel. However, this is different. I'm glad that the cover isn't as visually dynamic as I thought it would be, and more so sublime. Feels more like a teaser for the story inside...and that's something I feel Vogue Italia has been having a little trouble with lately-giving us too much, or not enough with their cover images. This is a very nice medium.

Oh and as far as the text goes, not a problem for me at all. It's not the most fancy typeface, but who cares? We want identity, don't we? And that's what Vogue Italia gives us. As strange as it may sound, I like how unrefined the type face is. Vogue Italia has always stayed very Italian...it has its own flamboyant way of doing things and it's own edge. They live up to their own standards, as still proven after all this time.

Last edited by Mchunu; 02-05-2011 at 10:39 AM.
02-05-2011
V.I.P.

I love the cover but she is utterly photoshopped... her boobs and her face... does not look anything like Kristen... but again love the cover and 100% buying it...

02-05-2011
you soft and only

I can't believe how hysterical some people are getting towards the typeface. Seriously?

I hope the rest of the issue is good though, I'm looking forward to purchasing it.

02-05-2011
backstage pass

absolutely stunning!

02-05-2011
fashion insider

nice, i wish his work for American Vogue was like this

02-05-2011
fashion insider

i feel like there are images from this set that would've made for a stronger cover. & is it just me or does the 'swimwear' text look a bit generic (generic leaning more towards a cheapened value of something meant to be of quality)?

02-05-2011
front row

review?

02-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydante View Post
i feel like there are images from this set that would've made for a stronger cover. & is it just me or does the 'swimwear' text look a bit generic (generic leaning more towards a cheapened value of something meant to be of quality)?
from what set? there haven't even been any images from the main story posted...or am i missing something? And Franca explained Vogue It's process of selecting a cover image..it's always done last, and not always done for the purpose of making a 'stronger' cover. Sometimes a cover should act as a teaser or something to allure..which is what I think this one does successfully...it makes me anticipate the inside story without giving it all away. Every Vogue IT cover doesn't need to be an edgy-fest.

Last edited by Mchunu; 02-05-2011 at 12:02 PM.
02-05-2011
V.I.P.

Karl Templer styled :p ...love his take on swimwear (although I'm not keen on the gloves here). This is probably just OG but still looking forward to the ed.

02-05-2011
tfs star

I love the cover. It's really subtle and demure. Simple styling, hair and makeup with Kristen sitting slightly slouched. There's no fuss about this cover. Though, I can do without the text.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, italia, kristen, mcmenamy, meisel, steven, vogue