Vogue Italia May 2013 : Edie Campbell & Karen Elson by Steven Meisel - Page 6 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-05-2013
When in doubt, wear red.

This is just perfect .

This story is much more than a simple fashion editorial or beautiful pictures of 2 beautiful women. It's haunting, it's one of those captivating and inspiring stories that only Meisel and his team can create.
I have this strong feeling of a mother/daughter inspiration almost like a re-interpretation of Grey Gardens. There's the big but empty house that feels so secluded, the atmosphere is romantic but also very melancholic and almost depressed, you can feel the extreme boredom of the girls that don't really know what to do in this big empty house, but you can also feel their strong connection and how in some shots Karen seems very protective of Edie (even though in Grey Gardens it was Little Eddie who actually seemed very protective of her mother). Edie herself , because of her name could also work as a reference. Something is wrong, something has been broken , it really feels like they've lost everything but don't want to leave this place. They'd rather stay cloistered there 'til the storm ends.

I also want to thank Meisel for making me discover Edie Campbell. I really don't understand why people complain about her presence here, she looks amazing. As amazing as Karen . They work perfectly together and both contribute to the magic of the story. I love the black hair on her, it gives me some Amanda Moore vibe and honestly her face in the last shot is a knock out.

V.I.P.

i think the main editorial is so bad neither of them looks good at all

front row

Amazing editorial. This is the best type of work from Meisel

03-05-2013
fashion elite

So far my favourite editorial of the year.
Its impressive how beautiful this is. This looks so moody and sad but in a way only Meisel can capture.
Karen is an english rose, so pure and beautiful, its notable how beautiful they both look without make-up. Im loving Edie more and more and with this editorial she has become one of my favourite current models.

03-05-2013
V.I.P.

I'm not crazy about it, but the atmosphere that the editorial provides is beautiful.

03-05-2013
V.I.P.

Still dont really get Edies appeal but this cover and edit makes me like her better, but Karen totally steals the show imo. Love her work with Meisel and the late 90s vibe of the editorial. Excited for the rest of the contents.

03-05-2013
V.I.P.

My first impression was right, Karen & Edie complement each other very well. And love this feature of Meisel's work. He creates such beautifully crafted story envolving his subjects, that even though we know these are models in a fashion editorial, for a second we are convinced that he's documenting real people living real lives, and we are intrigued to know about their stories and what they're feeling. It's quite beautiful.

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
04-05-2013
rising star

The edit is very good, sligthly pretentious maybe. BUT that shot of Karen in the bathtub with a pillow and a wineglass is an instant classic; would frame.

04-05-2013
V.I.P.

Some shots (the bathtub one's in particular), remind me of the main story from the March 2006 issue.
Ugh, Karen is so amazing here, sorry Edie.

04-05-2013
backstage pass

Imagine if it was Karen Elson AND Erin O'Connor instead of Edie, I would be hyperventilating with excitement! Thank the lord Karen is in though, as she is one of the best muses for Steven Meisel to me and just like this great editorial, it really is such a strong example of how well suited they both are to one another. Also as much as i don't care much for Edie, the editorial is for the first time, especially the cover, that i have been captivated by her presence. However I don't know if that is because of the fact I love Karen so much......

V.I.P.

i don't like anything from the cover to the main ed

04-05-2013
V.I.P.

wow...karen look fresh and young there!

04-05-2013
V.I.P.

After reading some thought-provoking comments within this thread (Elfinkova's comment in particular), I have come to appreciate the cover and editorial. I'm one of these who could handle a years worth of Meisel's studio shoots. More often than not I don't understand his location shoots or the idea behind it.. it's not always so evident with Meisel. I often wonder whether there's a hidden message. Nonetheless, I'm satisfied.

Last edited by vogue28; 04-05-2013 at 06:32 PM.
04-05-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hommeboy10 View Post
That last one is hauntingly beautiful
I agree 100%, it's haunting in so many ways, just the way old Meisel used to be. I didn't understand what Meisel finds so appealing about Edie... now I see it, this editorial is gorgeous.

I don't know why but the hair on both models, and the whole vibe reminds me so much of t.A.T.u. , but a way more refined version of course ... I highly doubt it, but could be possible they are part of the inspiration?

Last edited by Legolas; 04-05-2013 at 10:40 PM.
06-05-2013
V.I.P.

^now that you just said that, i totally see it. however i doubt Meisel was thinking of them.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, campbell, edie, elson, italia, karen, meisel, steven, vogue