How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-10-2012
backstage pass

I don't get the Anita Ekberg comparisons. She's more like Kirsten Dunst, to be honest. Anita had lovely cheekbones and bone structure (and some hips! And a nice bottom!). Her face was not a perfectly round ball like Kate's (or Kirsten's).

Kate's face is so round it bothers me. At least they could be able to add some blush/colour to those cheekbones, ah?

30-10-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
Again, if it were Lara Stone no one would have anything to say. VP Oct 2010 much???.....
I had something to say. And if I recall correctly, a lot of other people did too. It's also different in that VP October 2010 wasn't quite as boring or predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
I think more than half the models who are in this industry that people are classifying as "Classy" have probably done a nude photoshoot with Terry Richardson, so please lol...
I think it's the look (her look is quite different from the stereotypical high fashion model's) and the aura they give off that people are judging as classy, rather than their list of past work. I think tFSers, of all people, would be tolerant of nudes and swimsuit shots and things like that.

V.I.P.

put any other model on the cover and it would have worked...don't think so. i doubt it would have worked as good as this considering the main focus of the cover is her cleavage. kate is a bombshell and that's obviously what they where trying to do with this cover. kate seems like she has a great personality and it's obviously winning her lots of praise considering what is happening with her career right now. i don't understand why people are so against her just because she was and still is a swimsuit model? good on her for landing high fashion work because i think she has a refreshing beauty that we haven't seen in a long time. don't get me wrong, i love the daria and kate's of the world but come on! a little change is nice from time to time.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
I so welcome this! Man its great to see a sexy model like her back on the cover of VI! Meisel always loved his bombshells, from Shana to the supermodels. But i disagree with someone who said they tried to make her look chic, i dont get that at all! All i see here is them going all out with the right model.
Totally agree with you

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsamg View Post
There is nothing wrong with your English at all
heh, thanks

31-10-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualoptimism View Post
put any other model on the cover and it would have worked...don't think so. i doubt it would have worked as good as this considering the main focus of the cover is her cleavage. kate is a bombshell and that's obviously what they where trying to do with this cover. kate seems like she has a great personality and it's obviously winning her lots of praise considering what is happening with her career right now. i don't understand why people are so against her just because she was and still is a swimsuit model? good on her for landing high fashion work because i think she has a refreshing beauty that we haven't seen in a long time. don't get me wrong, i love the daria and kate's of the world but come on! a little change is nice from time to time.
It definitely would not have worked with just any other model. The headline is seductive and Kate is totally delivering it and looks great in that top. There aren't many uber-editorial girls of the moment who would be able to deliver this type of high-octane glamour and sexy impact and make that top look great.

Gimmick? Each to his or her own but high fashion is a gimmick on top of a gimmick. Commercial and lifestyle are the only things where you won't find gimmicks.

31-10-2012
V.I.P.

201 comments and all we have is a cover.

like her or not, i really think this girl is here to stay. and i think she's in the fashion game to stay. i could definitely be wrong, though. come campaign season we'll know for sure what her future looks like.

clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstefaniaAbaddon View Post
I don't get the Anita Ekberg comparisons. She's more like Kirsten Dunst, to be honest. Anita had lovely cheekbones and bone structure (and some hips! And a nice bottom!). Her face was not a perfectly round ball like Kate's (or Kirsten's).

Kate's face is so round it bothers me. At least they could be able to add some blush/colour to those cheekbones, ah?
But lets keep things separate here - there's Kate Upton and there's Kate Upton on this cover. On this cover she has been made up to look like Anita Ekberg. And the fact is that even though she does not have the same commanding gaze, the same cheekbones, the same strong yet delicate jawline - Kate does have a face that you can mould and she's good enough of a model that she can look enough like Anita Ekberg for most people to see the resemblance.

I have no idea how you can think that Kate's face looks like a round ball on the cover.

31-10-2012
scenester

tbh i just don't get kate upton's appeal. if u want blonde bombshell ala the 90s supermodels, then imo, bar is so much better than kate. she seems fun and has the personality to match. so why isn't she's booming like kate since both of them caters for the same market.

and since she is now clearly meisel favourite, i honestly hope she scored a few campaigns that were shot by meisel himself.

31-10-2012
front row

its off topic: but i could see her in a Prada campaign. I don't know why, it probably sounds random but i can see it happening.

I was quite dismissive of the cover at first, after looking at it a few times, it's not as bad as i originally thought. I STILL believe someone not so obviously sexy would have been nice to see but oh well. I just hope her editorial is good.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
That describes 98% of models, lbr.
Okay, she has one more - big boobs, but I don't think it's a good reason to deliver her on VI Cover.
Sandy in NY, Kate A. on VI cover, what is the next?

31-10-2012
hors concours♛

i actually would have preferred a few of my fav sexy/commercial models over her but thats not gonna happen when meisel,franca,anna,carine etc dont seem to take a liking to them. a girl captures the attention of editors,photographers,and designers shes gonna get work. its as simple as that. so never understand "so and so deserves this more" comments.
Posted via Mobile Device

31-10-2012
trendsetter

Vogue Italia ---> ANTM ---> high end cosmopolitan

31-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain1914 View Post
Vogue Italia ---> ANTM ---> high end cosmopolitan
Interesting that you should bring this up because I think that in choosing Kate Upton, Franca's timing (if she is the one who made the call) was more on the money than when she partnered with ANTM. I don't think there was anything wrong with that partnership but she would have gotten a better impact had she done it 2-3 years earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourMonster View Post
its off topic: but i could see her in a Prada campaign. I don't know why, it probably sounds random but i can see it happening.
I am hoping for Balenciaga as part of a MG cast but I don't want her wearing any of the skimpier looks. Another thing I can see is her being part of a MG cast for Louis Vuitton, and dare I say that I can also see her doing LV as an OG. Now if Kate Upton gets LV that is really going to be ma-jor!

31-10-2012
there is no fear

Ah! Totally called it. You go my pretty.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, italia, kate, meisel, november, steven, upton, vogue