How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-10-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by congacon View Post
if kate is a serious model then all her pictures shouldn't be about her boobs.

cosmo, vogue, si, eds.............her boobs are the clear focus. she has one of the worst bodies in the industry.

judging by all the pics of kate upton, this girl wont last in the hf industry. she should stay in the commercial route.
I think it's funny that you say this. Most HF models pose nude. Most of the models in Vogue Paris, particularly under Carine, showed their tits off even when it made no sense to do so. Even Daria, who I love, was butt naked in most of the shoots she did in 2010. Yet people call that art. People rarely question why a *edited* model with no breasts whatsoever is showing off her body in a nude shoot. You think boobs aren't the main focus in those shoots? Yet people pick a bone with Kate Upton, whose boobs would be noticeable even if she were wearing a turtleneck, simply because she's got her cleavage out. Well, what is she supposed to do with them? Stick a sign on her chest saying 'Don't look!'

Last edited by Psylocke; 29-10-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: edited for weight talk

29-10-2012
V.I.P.

It's a good cover.

front row

I love this cover and I love that we have someone like Kate in the industry. even though her body may not be at its best, it's still great that we have a full-figured girl changing the face of the industry.

I'm anxious to see the ed.

29-10-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
The one where she's rocking a huge cleavage on the cover and has the same pose and face in every pic? Yes, unfortunately.
May I ask how do you know she can only pull off one look? That Jalouse editorial it is a little more edgy, but lets be real this girl is barely starting into this business and has yet been given jobs that require more versatility because they are exploiting her sexyness, which in my opinion, was what got her into the high fashion jobs she's doing now. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying here is no way to tell as of now when she hasn't been given the opportunity to show. She did a little in that small editorial for American Vogue (not the one with Meisel) and I think she pulled off quite well... I agree about the Arizona statement. Quit judging a work by the model, judge by the execution of what specific job they do and if they get across what they wanted to... Its obvious that Meisel was trying to go with sexy, and sorry if I upset anyone but Kate was executes it well. Yes there are a lot of models who do sexy well as well, but saying that Kate is unapt to make this cover work is ludicrous. If the cover is bad in any means is because of the styling and not Kate herself....

29-10-2012
Zenga Zenga

While I don't find her especially attractive (I've never been into big breasts anyway), I do like this cover a lot and love what kind of characters she can channel when she is working with an inspired photographer and team. In a similar way as Ashley Smith's, she can embody this young and pretty american blondie who went on the road, full of hopes, to become successful as a model, an actress, a singer or whatever. A kind of character that has always seemed full of poetry to me (in literature, cinema and, ultimately, fashion photography), lost somewhere between glamour and gloom.

I'm not going to jump (or sink?) further into this debate whether she belongs to high fashion or not because of her look or career pattern... But it has just crossed my mind that too many people are too focused on what a high fashion model should be in terms of physical appearance or how her career should start on the runways before getting a 'major' cover. I think those are missing the most important: it's about the image first. I don't care who is on the cover, who she is and where from and why the heck, as long as she fits an atmosphere, plays a role that suits the story etc.

Last edited by penny609; 29-10-2012 at 01:40 PM.
29-10-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny609 View Post
While I don't find her especially attractive (I've never been into big breasts anyway), I do like this cover a lot and love what kind of characters she can channel when she is working with an inspired photographer and team. In a similar way as Ashley Smith's, she can embody this young and pretty american blondie who went on the road, full of hopes, to become successful as a model, an actress, a singer or whatever. A kind of character that has always seemed full of poetry to me (in literature, cinema and, ultimately, fashion photography), lost somewhere between glamour and gloom.

I'm going to jump (or sink?) further into this debate whether she belongs to high fashion or not because of her look or career pattern. It just crossed my mind that too many people are too focused on what a high fashion model should be in terms of physical appearance or how her career should start on the runways before getting a 'major' cover. I think those are missing the most important: it's about the image first. I don't care who is on the cover, who she is and where from and why the heck, as long as she fits an atmosphere, plays a role that suits the story etc.
That's a great way to put it. I'm pretty sure if she had started as a newbie walking runways all this hate would be not that much, and the hate that would be there would be for legitimate reasons.

29-10-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by congacon View Post
if kate is a serious model then all her pictures shouldn't be about her boobs.

cosmo, vogue, si, eds.............her boobs are the clear focus. she has one of the worst bodies in the industry.

judging by all the pics of kate upton, this girl wont last in the hf industry. she should stay in the commercial route.
I don't see the problem with that, I didn't realize having a womans breast as a focus not being high fashion, considering not all the the population of women are flat chested like some of the other existing fashion models, so because she has big boobs that means she can only do sports illustrated and Playboy? And to think no one was being objective to Candice Huffine, Robyn Lawley & Tara Lynn's Vogue Italia cover which had big breasted, not to mention plus sized women in corsets and other scandelous articles of clothes? I think 2012 really is the end of the world.

Last edited by GERGIN; 29-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.
29-10-2012
Zenga Zenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseCRocks View Post
and the hate that would be there would be for legitimate reasons.
Spot on. I personally prefer faces with something darker, more mysterious and intense but what comes first to me is what I see on the photograph, if all falls into place, makes sense etc. In this precise case, I think yes (then some might disagree, tastes differ). All in all, we should also not forget not all the "regular" high-fashion models are perfectly versatile chameleons. Can you imagine Meghan Collison goofing around for an editorial on a cheerful theme like joie de vivre? Unless the photographer's aim is to create some openly caricatural images, I guess it would look ridiculous. Again, the most important is if the face embodies the right character for the right atmosphere. But maybe that's just me and I'm missing the point too...

29-10-2012
V.I.P.

Moderators' Note:

Please be careful not to mention anything that might alude to "weight" ... weight talk is not allowed on tFS.

It is ok to talk about her breasts and being voluptious ... but please refreain from anything further than that. And please do not discuss the size/body mass/ leaness/etc. of her in comparison to typical fashion models.

It will be at the moderators' discretion to remove posts that are over the line.

Thanks for the understanding.

29-10-2012
backstage pass

Gosh, people are over-reacting! I'm seeing this cover as I would see a Playboy cover with Karlie Kloss. Kate Upton is sexy and will ALWAYS be sexy. That is, than even for VI then HAD TO PUT HER BREASTS OUT. I wouldn't care less for her on the cover but could they just dress her classy? For once? Without the vamp look? Please? For once?

backstage pass

I love everything about this!!

**** Edited *****

I love Kate and am thrilled to see her gaining momentum in the High Fashion world. I just love these types of bombshell models, they are so far and few these days, especially in HF.

The hate is too he expected though, I'm pretty sure Candice got a fair bit of slack once she crossed over from VS successfully.

***Edited ***
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by BetteT; 29-10-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Removed negative comment directed at other tFS members.
29-10-2012
Zenga Zenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstefaniaAbaddon View Post
I'm seeing this cover as I would see a Playboy cover with Karlie Kloss.
Nice way to see things. Actually we already had Lily Cole in and on Playboy, and fashion (Meisel, especially) takes its inspiration here and there and everywhere so, why not this kind of aesthetics as well.

29-10-2012
V.I.P.

Moderators' Note:

And lets be careful about insulting other members here .... individually ... or as a group.

It's OK to disagree and to explain why ... we love lively discussions and controversy. But it is never acceptable to insult other members and it can lead to loosing your membership.

Last edited by BetteT; 29-10-2012 at 02:11 PM.
29-10-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny609 View Post
Nice way to see things. Actually we already had Lily Cole in and on Playboy, and fashion (Meisel, especially) takes its inspiration here and there and everywhere so, why not this kind of aesthetics as well.
Lily Cole was never (to me) an usual high fashion model. She is more like Lara Stone 2.0 than like Aymeline Valade or others. She had enormous focus on her breasts too.

I would be surprised to see Karlie Kloss or Freja around Playboy as I am surprised to see Kate Upton (more like her boobs) showing up on a VI cover.

But more than Kate Upton: I'm surprised for the lack of inspiration and for the really poor theme/styling/hair/make-up behind this. I'm preparing myself for an editorial full of breasts, bottoms, cleavage, lingerie, tight clothing and slutty looks.

V.I.P.

YES YES YES!!!!

this is exciting.

just the sheer fact that we're onto page 6 of the thread within 6 hours of it being started is awesome. and that there are not one, but two moderator notes just above me.

this girl is FIRE. Vogue Italia knows exactly what they're doing by putting her on the cover. i guarantee - when they tally the sales figures of 2012, this issue will rank at or near the top.

i am loving that this voluptuous SI girl can storm into the high-fashion world and make her mark. and she's only just beginning. i'll not be the tiniest bit surprised if she finds herself on US VOGUE and if she starts dating a moviestar or rockstar, well then it's all over. we'd have ourselves the next genuine SUPERMODEL.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, italia, kate, meisel, november, steven, upton, vogue