How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-10-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstefaniaAbaddon View Post
Lily Cole was never (to me) an usual high fashion model. She is more like Lara Stone 2.0 than like Aymeline Valade or others. She had enormous focus on her breasts too.

I would be surprised to see Karlie Kloss or Freja around Playboy as I am surprised to see Kate Upton (more like her boobs) showing up on a VI cover.

But more than Kate Upton: I'm surprised for the lack of inspiration and for the really poor theme/styling/hair/make-up behind this. I'm preparing myself for an editorial full of breasts, bottoms, cleavage, lingerie, tight clothing and slutty looks.

I don't see how a model shouldn't be entitled to highlight her body features.

Last edited by tangerine; 29-10-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: disrespecting other members

29-10-2012
V.I.P.

^not to mention that Lily started working in 2004, way before Lara appeared on the scene. So it makes no sense to call her Lara 2.0.

29-10-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
I don't see how a model shouldn't be entitled to highlight her body features,**edited**
Just accept that people have different opinions. Lily Cole, Lara and Aymeline are way better models than Kate and would make a better cover than this. Just put Kate in set with Tim Walker and see what she can do. Just let her walk for Chanel! Or Valentino.

Then, I will say she's a high fashion model. She just needs to show that she can actually model more than one thing.
Till then, she's just another model who looks like Anna Nicole Smith and shoots sexy editorials.

And a high fashion model, to me, is someone like Christy Turlington: you don't know her for her breasts or for her body... you know her because she killed in print, from CK underwear to Chanel, to runway, she did everything (classy)! And the main focus was NEVER on her breasts.

Last edited by ckgirlbr; 29-10-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Response to an edited post
29-10-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
so because she has big boobs that means she can only do sports illustrated and Playboy?
Only classless, loose women show cleavage and if it's an ample one, those ladies should be doused with holy water in an attempt to save their souls.

Lara Stone has based a huge chunk of her career on her boobs and her walk is atrocious but career-wise, she is up there with the supermodels. I don't see how Kate is any different. Only time will tell.
If any bland, lifeless teenager can be on a Vogue cover, a pinup blonde can do too.

**EDITED**

Last edited by tangerine; 29-10-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: disrespecting other members
29-10-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
^not to mention that Lily started working in 2004, way before Lara appeared on the scene. So it makes no sense to call her Lara 2.0.
That doesn't mean that Lara is a better model than Lily. That's what I meant to say. Lara is a better model than Lily. She has proved to be way more versatile.

front row

In simply hate it. It's glamorous yes, but it's also very tacky and just a no for me.

29-10-2012
trendsetter

I like kate but this cover made me think of 'bride of chucky.'

29-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Lily Cole, Lara and Aymeline are way better models than Kate and would make a better cover than this. Just put Kate in set with Tim Walker and see what she can do. Just let her walk for Chanel! Or Valentino.

Then, I will say she's a high fashion model. She just needs to show that she can actually model more than one thing.
Till then, she's just another model who looks like Anna Nicole Smith and shoots sexy editorials.
IMO Kate Upton is a much better model than Lara and Aymeline were at the same age and experience level. They are both good models now but it took them a while to get there.

Last edited by agee; 29-10-2012 at 01:43 PM.
29-10-2012
fashion insider

Quote:

You are funny. Really.

Just accept that people have different opinions. Lily Cole, Lara and Aymeline are way better models than Kate and would make a better cover than this. Just put Kate in set with Tim Walker and see what she can do. Just let her walk for Chanel! Or Valentino.

And a high fashion model, to me, is someone like Christy Turlington: you don't know her for her breasts or for her body... you know her because she killed in print, from CK underwear to Chanel, to runway, she did everything (classy)! And the main focus was NEVER on her breasts.
That's funny that you think she needs to do runway to prove herself as a high fashion model when she's already got editorial work with US Vogue and other magazines that are considered high fashion. And i'm not sure how you are justifying what class is properly, do you recall Christy Turlington in mieselpic for the Dec 09 issue of VOGUE Italia? Or perhaps her Irving Penn photoshoots where she was practically flaunting her tits and vajayjay? I've seen some slutty qualities from Christy too, so how is she classier than Kate?

Last edited by GERGIN; 29-10-2012 at 01:46 PM.
29-10-2012
User Friendly

I think she looks great, retro feel, slightly predictable but I'll take this anyday over Meghan's cover

29-10-2012
front row

I like the cover. It is more of the same 'sexy Kate' look, but that's exactly the look they were going for & Kate delivers. Honestly, haters are going to hate. No matter how good or bad she does, people will complain about this simply because it's Kate Upton & she came from a different background rather than being a newcomer who did 100 runway shows to get a tiny editorial in Vogue.

Seriously, when was the last time the same model got US GQ cover, VI cover, 2 OG US Vogue editoials, Muse cover, SI cover (which let me remind you, as 'tacky' as it is according to some people here, it's a huge deal in the US) in less than 12 months? Kate is being supported by most of heavy weights in the industry. Just like Candice (who i particulary dislike a lot), she's here to stay & people needs to deal with that.

29-10-2012
Soviet Camaro

I think it's funny they label her SEDUCTIVE in big letters to make sure we understand the concept of the cover.

I think they overdid it with the too-tight bodice, but I'm not against the concept on principle.

V.I.P.

I think the thing with Kate is she is a sign of the times, the Internet has changed everything over the past decade or two. Kate represents the power of social media, just like YouTube discovered Justin Bieber. Now the fashion industry is following suit. Kate is the first model of the social media era and the fashion industry knows this and they are embracing it! Just watch Kate continue to grow...
Posted via Mobile Device

29-10-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseCRocks View Post
I understand the fact that her transformation from sexy to high fashion was shocking and upsetting because of what kind of model she was, but I think its time now to let that go, obviously Carine Rotfeld, Anna Wintour, Steven Meisel, and now Franca are supporting her, so I don't think she's going anywhere, so I would hope people will start making judgement out of the actual image and not out of her reputation as the model she was... Now on that note, the image is stunning! She looks "seductive" like the title of the issue, and, in my opinion, leaving her reputation to the side, not trashy at all. Just the perfect balance. She has a face that translates well into the sexy market but can do high fashion too, again in my opinion.
Well it's not because Meisel, Wintour, Sozzani or whoever thinks one way that WE ALL have to think the same, that's called "free will". To me this girl doesn't have the class, the elegance or the skills to be a high fashion model and she doesn't exude the power that previous top models, who graced those covers and editorials, have. Period.

front row

I have nothing against the cover, but the word "SEDUCTIVE" seems a bit ridiculous... I mean "OVER THE TOP" would have been more appropriate. Curious to see the ed, hope they plan on taking the story somewhere interesting.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, italia, kate, meisel, november, steven, upton, vogue