How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-10-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
How predictable. As I said many times before, there's nothing slightly interesting about this girl: average looks, overrated body, shallow personality. I knew she would get a VI cover eventually, they love something "controversial". I guess we'll have to endure this Kate Upton fever before she goes always just as quick as she appeared.
^^^

What she said... But I'm not sure if she is going away anytime soon,
It's just "the star bellied sneeches syndrome" that underlies fashion thinking and Kate is the lucky recipient of being the opposite of what was before

29-10-2012
fashion icon

Some people are obviously too eager to divide models into the high fashion or not so high categories. I'm not a fan of Kate, at least not yet. But, I think it's a stunning photograph of her, I praise this girl for the work she has done in such a short time. And who cares whether she looks like a typical HF model. She doesn't really have to. These days I'm very much pleased to see normal and classically pretty girls doing well in the fashion business. I'm happy to see VS girls doing so well and I'm crossing my fingers for Kate, too. Changes are always good and I don't mind a new kind of beauty at all.
Now back to the cover. Yes, I think it's lovely, eye-catching, conventional and unconventional at the same time. And I'm looking forward to see Kate's editorial. I hope it won't disappoint me.

she's got the look

I know it might sound off-topic but being on the cover of Playboy is not exactly a tasteless thing. People forget that Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell have already graced a cover. Here in Brazil, Leticia Birkheuer was on the cover as well... And her "editorial" was quite tasteful if you ask me.

As someone said before, the cover feels very Newton-esque, which is an amazing quality.

tfs star

I neither like nor dislike her.........but she's simply not beautiful enough to pull off a shot this close. I find the roundness of her face her off putting.

fashion insider

It's pretty and it's glamourous, and I think that's okay once in a while. However, I don't see anything wrong with someone not liking her as a model, and that has nothing to do with slapping labels onto models. She's not very versatile. I think most high fashion fans would prefer an interesting girl to a girl society traditionally classifies as pretty. (Not saying that these two factors have to conflict, of course.)

Also, I think a lot of people are indifferent to the cleavage rather than opposing it. And if some do indeed find it distasteful, they have every right to. A lot of people find certain things in high fashion distasteful too. It also happens a lot in high fashion girls will show cleavage because of the nature of a dress or a shot, but it's not made to be a sexy or particularly revealing shoot.

don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchkiki View Post
She is Newtonesque.
If Helmut Newton was still alive he will be totally in love with her.
I have no idea what the editorial will look like, but to me, the cover feels like a take on how Newton would shoot a socialite in the 80s. First, get her to slip into something that's tighter than decency would admit, and then stick her against the skyline, because her family owns half the buildings in the background. That's the story I get from that shot.

███████████████

Huge Disappointment!!! look Cindy Crwaford in the 80 but Kate in Vogue Italia i think the mag need BIG changes i miss the era of good covers and eds

29-10-2012
V.I.P.

This is ravishing. Meisel's shoots for the magazine had become tiresome, minus a rare few. And this direction requires certain personalities to give the theme that nudge. Kate Upton is the ultimate model to emulate the look here.

fashion icon

To be honest I really don't follow models all that much, so I've never really held an opinion on Kate Upton. But I think she looks really lovely here. She pulls off this look really well. I'm not sure the voluptuous look the cover gives off would work quite as well with anyone else.

V.I.P.

I'm not fan for her, but the cover is fine reminds me a Vogue Paris cover shot by Helmut Newton, let's hope the ed would be good.

The point is than all the users of this forum know about Kate, who is a model than she appeared in many mags like Cosmopolitan, Sports Illustrated, Harper's Bazaar & now Vogue with a editorial of the american edition of the November issue & now of a cover story for the italian edition (as the same case of the Carine Roitfeld's magazine & also been a few Guess campaigns. If she growns her work in the High Fashion & she appear frequently all these fashion magazines, Kate will be one of the "Supermodels of the Moment" & remember she's make it big.

29-10-2012
front row

i just like this so much because it sent "fashin" folk in a tizzy.

29-10-2012
V.I.P.

The cover looks rather good with a "model" like Kate on the cover. Still don't like her one bit though.

29-10-2012
front row

She's not Beautiful in my opinion. I don't and probably will never understand her appeal.

V.I.P.

80s revival cover?

V.I.P.

Looking forward to the review.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, italia, kate, meisel, november, steven, upton, vogue