How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-09-2010
V.I.P.

^I only hope that if one day they put a mexican celebrity on the cover, the latin version will be different :p

Say what you want about Vogue Mexico/LA -I have my personal issues with it- but at least they always use models on their covers

27-09-2010
V.I.P.

This may be a top model snapped by an established photographer, but this is pretty much a Vogue Taiwan cover gone festive.

27-09-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
^I only hope that if one day they put a mexican celebrity on the cover, the latin version will be different :p

Say what you want about Vogue Mexico/LA -I have my personal issues with it- but at least they always use models on their covers
Totally agree. I don't like celebrities in the cover of fashion magazines. I mean...they are FASHION magazines. And it's one of the few I get to see in my country.-

27-09-2010
V.I.P.

The thing about having celebrities in Vogue México or Latinoamerica is that, unlike CrisGalaxy's Univisión understanding of Mexican celebrities or whatever he relies on from a distance to make assumptions, there are actually plenty of talented actors not just in México but also in Colombia, Chile, Argentina and the rest of Latin America.. I could definitely see someone like Catalina Sandino Moreno, Ana Claudia Talancón or Mia Maestro landing a cover and being far more engaging than featuring someone like what? Anja Rubik on a cover just because Vogue España and Vogue Paris are doing it?, it seems that Eva is trying to compete with the big cats before even establishing an identity back in kitchen and attempting to understand the women that buy this and should be buying this.. and by that I think you need to feature women with an approach to fashion they can relate to.. the region needs baby steps like that, whether that's a step back for a magazine like US Vogue is out of the question.. another culture, another business.. but, if she's already taking time to see what others are doing, I've said this before, she should be looking at what Vogue Brazil is doing and take a couple of tips from them.. and by that I don't mean demanding an amount of regional models (which wouldn't hurt, Argentina's supply may last a whole year right now) but just being more supportive and feature people that, through their lifestyle, have the chance to mean and can influence buyers more closely even if they're not particularly well-known..

Last edited by MulletProof; 27-09-2010 at 10:22 PM.
27-09-2010
fashion insider

^ Um sorry but I don't find Mexican celebrities that glamorous or into fashion... I should know because I am Mexican and I've actually bought an issue of Vogue Mexico. But what I ment with "disaster" was... what if they put on the cover someone like Pati Navidad with her big boobs that look like they're about to explode... Sure there are some really good-looking celebrities who have style but I feel like there arent enough. Belinda wouldnt be so bad on the cover of Vogue Mexico or Salma Hayek... you guys just got the wrong idea...

27-09-2010
V.I.P.

My biggest problem with Vogue Mexico is that is a mexican magazine trying to pass as a regional one, they just stamp "Latin America" on the cover. I relate to it the same as I relate to any other Vogue... I mean, in Mexico is not even the same season as the rest of Latin America! I think it´s hard for them to establish their identity because of this, it´s safer for them to use international models that could appeal to an entire region than to use local models/celebs that could hold no interest outside Mexico or viceversa. In order to develop an identity they should stop selling their magazine to the region and focus on it´s own country. I as an argentine woman can barely relate to -say- a venezuelan one.
But I buy Vogue Mexico to get a glimpse of trends and editorial work that´s different from my country, to get to see reprints of magazines that I can´t get here. And for that is a great alternative, I´m glad they use international models that will never appear on my country´s local mags.

For a taste of my own reality -fashion wise- I get Elle

*edit* I have no idea who Pati Navidad is! LOL

Last edited by kokobombon; 27-09-2010 at 11:11 PM.
27-09-2010
V.I.P.

Cris, I don't think we got the 'wrong idea', why would you actually think a celebrity in Mexico or Latin America has to equal Paty Navidad (or even Belinda).. that's like expecting Luciana Salazar on the cover of the Latin American region. If you're going by typically Vogue standards of selection, you can actually find plenty of actors that are talented, into fashion (especially local/'indie' fashion, which is would benefit designers), good-looking and with a bit of class, there aren't just stripper-looking girls that pretend to sing, you know..

Last edited by MulletProof; 27-09-2010 at 11:14 PM.
27-09-2010
fashion insider

^ Okay, So lets say Vogue Mexico features all these celebrities you say that are into fashion and talented... it will attract more readers and a bigger public. More things will also have to change... like the content. From the only issue that I own, Vogue Mexico looks like the type of magazine a stuck-up rich girl from Las Lomas would read, a girl who has everything and shops at El Palacio de Hierro and Presidente Masaryk or to that reader who can't afford a single thing featured in the magazine. Vogue, and I mean Vogue as in what Vogue is about (not just the French nor American version), its about luxury, glamour and expensive clothes that the average person can't afford, thats the Vogue DNA and its in every version of Vogue. Which means that not many people will buy this magazine because of its ridiculous content and if the concent was changed into real things most Mexicans can buy than it would not be a real Vogue magazine. I dont want to be sterotypical but most Mexicans do not give a hoot about fashion or aware about it.

27-09-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
My biggest problem with Vogue Mexico is that is a mexican magazine trying to pass as a regional one, they just stamp "Latin America" on the cover. I relate to it the same as I relate to any other Vogue... I mean, in Mexico is not even the same season as the rest of Latin America! I think it´s hard for them to establish their identity because of this, it´s safer for them to use international models that could appeal to an entire region than to use local models/celebs that could hold no interest outside Mexico or viceversa. In order to develop an identity they should stop selling their magazine to the region and focus on it´s own country. I as an argentine woman can barely relate to -say- a venezuelan one.
My biggest problem with Vogue México is that it is NOT a Mexican magazine, it's a magazine that's produced in Miami, by Miami-based people with a mainstream understanding of Mexican culture.. and my problem within that problem is that US-based Spanish speakers are convinced their picture of the region is intact and accurate just because they can still articulate the language and it isn't, it's a region that keeps changing drastically even in the span of 5 or 8 years or a single financial collapse, spending your childhood in a place or seeing it through television isn't enough to capture the attention of those that live there, let alone speak to them in a way that like I said, it's realistic.
And I guess the problem isn't just in the US, there's also a clear lack of communication among Latin Americans that actually were born and live in Latin America.. I mean, in one hand there's you saying you could barely relate to Venezuelan women and I'm sure a Venezuelan woman would say she can barely relate to a Chilean one.. well.. I think similarities between modern Latin American women and the concerns they face as well as their understanding of fashion certainly outweigh minor cultural/weather differences by a long distance.. but we can't tell because there aren't enough publications that want to play the 'bridge' on that and instead we have channels that promote the differences for no good purpose other than their own interests.

Back on cover choices, I honestly would not mind seeing someone I don't know on the cover regardless of her nationality, that even happens in other Vogues.. you get an unknown celebrity.. good-looking, decent sense of fashion, well-reviewed movie coming out.. who cares if you don't know her, the point is that you will.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisGalaxy View Post
^ Okay, So lets say Vogue Mexico features all these celebrities you say that are into fashion and talented... it will attract more readers and a bigger public. More things will also have to change... like the content. From the only issue that I own, Vogue Mexico looks like the type of magazine a stuck-up rich girl from Las Lomas would read, a girl who has everything and shops at El Palacio de Hierro and Presidente Masaryk or to that reader who can't afford a single thing featured in the magazine. Vogue, and I mean Vogue as in what Vogue is about (not just the French nor American version), its about luxury, glamour and expensive clothes that the average person can't afford, thats the Vogue DNA and its in every version of Vogue. Which means that not many people will buy this magazine because of its ridiculous content and if the concent was changed into real things most Mexicans can buy than it would not be a real Vogue magazine. I dont want to be sterotypical but most Mexicans do not give a hoot about fashion or aware about it.
Yes, Vogue is all that but it's also the same magazine that in its original edition (US Vogue) promotes Phillip Lim and Alexander Wang.. what do these girls you think you know buy? they go to Miami, buy Cavalli, Furla, Escada and attend private Chanel showrooms in Mexico City where seasons-old Chanel is presented.. that's your 'Vogue' split in two, Vogue Mexico only speaks to the latter and THERE IS a consumer in Mexico that buys Lim and even Margiela, which Vogue Mexico is not representing or even trying to capitalise on (guess it's not too popular back in Miami) and which other magazines, such as Celeste, have surfaced for.

I don't know what does the average Mexican has to do with the rest of your post, sorry.. I don't think we can talk Vogue and talk average at the same time, for the same reasons of exclusivity you mention, let's just understand that exclusivity isn't just one sector anymore, Cris.. it isn't just Lomas or what you see in soap operas in Chicago, exclusivity is chased and accessible for young people.. from Col. Roma all the way to Monterrey..

MON
V.I.P.

Bad and such a copy cat

V.I.P.

I quite dislike the styling of the cover.

28-09-2010
V.I.P.

Her smile looks very forced. That's what ruins it for me.

28-09-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
But I buy Vogue Mexico to get a glimpse of trends and editorial work that´s different from my country, to get to see reprints of magazines that I can´t get here. And for that is a great alternative, I´m glad they use international models that will never appear on my country´s local mags.
Totally agree. I live in Argentina as well, and it's really hard to find good fashion magazines at a reasonable prize, so I find it convenient that Vogue Latinoamerica repreints some eds and has actual fashion models on their covers.-

28-09-2010
fashion icon

I like the cover... its so pretty and youthful feeling. Although the similarities of the two different editions of Vogue are uncanny....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, anja, marcin, mexico, october, rubik, tyszka, vogue