How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-04-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagerfeldBoy View Post
Has anyone heard about the backlash this issue is getting about putting Querelle in blackface? Fashionista.com did an article on it.
Yeah and I agree with them. At this point its clear that these editors just don't give a f**k if people are offended and outraged. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the industry as a whole.

17-04-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
Yeah and I agree with them. At this point its clear that these editors just don't give a f**k if people are offended and outraged. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the industry as a whole.
I actually think magazines are doing this on purpose now, you know the saying there's no such thing as bad publicity. It gets everyone talking, they start mentioning the magazine on other websites, it can even turn up on tv, people will complain and talk about it on the radio etc etc.

The editors and magazines are beyond pathetic because they keep doing it, if you want a shoot with a black model use a frikin' black model there are so many of them out there.

How is that such a hard thing to do? What's so difficult to comprehend with that notion? To me it reeks of desperation from the magazines and the fact that they still think it's okay to do this is the most sickening part of it all.

18-04-2013
backstage pass

The people in Holland & Belgium don't mind seeing this. Every year in Holland & Belgium you see MANY THOUSANDS of people with black faces.
My black friends don't mind seeing this. They also really like it + sometimes they do it too.

bookofchoad.blogspot.nl
For Dutch people to see this is normal ... to see a lot of nudity is also normal. Surprised there's not much nudity in Dutch Vogue.

Last edited by DutchHomme; 18-04-2013 at 05:56 AM.
18-04-2013
fashion elite

^That doesn't matter. There are lots of "traditions" that cultures have been abandoned over the years because of how offensive they are. Its incredibly racist and ignorant and never ok.

Ya'll might be cool with it but it won't stop the rest of the world from giving you some serious and aggressive side-eye.

trendsetter

I'm bored of the whole black face argument, yes it's incredibly racist and insulting to all the models of colour out there who aren't getting casted but really I doubt it's going to stop..

18-04-2013
V.I.P.

"My Own Private Hollywood"

Photographer: Anne Menke
Stylist: Martien Mellema
Hair: Jenny Cho
Make-up: Christy Coleman
Manicure: Beth Fricke

Model: Hannelore Knuts

Dancers:
From L.A. Dance Project --
Julia Eichten
Charlie Hodges
Morgan Lugo
Nathan Makolandra
Amanda Wells

Source: Visual Optimism (visualoptimism.blogspot.com)

18-04-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchHomme View Post
The people in Holland & Belgium don't mind seeing this. Every year in Holland & Belgium you see MANY THOUSANDS of people with black faces.
My black friends don't mind seeing this. They also really like it + sometimes they do it too.

bookofchoad.blogspot.nl
For Dutch people to see this is normal ... to see a lot of nudity is also normal. Surprised there's not much nudity in Dutch Vogue.
OMG my jaw hit the ground from seeing this picture and in this day and age there is nothing "normal" about this. It's a disgrace!

18-04-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForChicSake View Post
OMG my jaw hit the ground from seeing this picture and in this day and age there is nothing "normal" about this. It's a disgrace!
I'm black and from the Netherlands and the previous comment about it being totally normal is a blatant lie. There have been numerous protests by the black community in the Netherlands who find it offensive, racist and not of this age.

White Dutch people in general have a superiority issue, so this is no surprise that DutchHomme would say that this is just business as usual.

18-04-2013
front row

I'm white and from the Netherlands, and I don't think this is 'normal' either.

18-04-2013
V.I.P.

Claiming that blackface is something to be accepted is just outrageous and infuriating to me. The people at Vogue Netherlands should be ashamed of themselves even though I doubt they are.

18-04-2013
backstage pass

I really don't mind seeing white people with painted blackfaces or black people with painted whitefaces.
(as long as it's not discrimination)

Last edited by DutchHomme; 18-04-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, erin, netherlands, petrovsky, ramone, vogue, wasson