How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-03-2011
V.I.P.

love the dress, love gisele but i don't know not really for me

11-03-2011
V.I.P.

You'd think that for someones first issue as an Editor-in-Chief, they'd choose to do something a bit more directional and aesthetically powerful. This is not really either to me.

The fact that she is wearing a dress that has already appeared on two other Vogues says it all to me. She will not be as directional as Carine and she probably won't have a point-of-view that is different to any other Vogue; all of which is a shame.

Sure, Vogue Paris had its questionable elements but it was intrinsically Vogue Paris / Carine Roitfeld. What is Alt going to bring to the table? It already seems as though she is under the thumb of her bosses at Conde Nast. How will she be able to create something that resonates with people if she has to serve these men with their strict ideas of French fashion culture?

11-03-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
You'd think that for someones first issue as an Editor-in-Chief, they'd choose to do something a bit more directional and aesthetically powerful. This is not really either to me.

The fact that she is wearing a dress that has already appeared on two other Vogues says it all to me. She will not be as directional as Carine and she probably won't have a point-of-view that is different to any other Vogue; all of which is a shame.

Sure, Vogue Paris had its questionable elements but it was intrinsically Vogue Paris / Carine Roitfeld. What is Alt going to bring to the table? It already seems as though she is under the thumb of her bosses at Conde Nast. How will she be able to create something that resonates with people if she has to serve these men with their strict ideas of French fashion culture?
This cover has been chosen under carine area!

11-03-2011
MON
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton
How can you say that she won`t be as directional as Carine when in fact, you`ve only seen the cover (which happens to be her only cover to date) and not it`s contents. I guess we have to judge Emmanuelle on her succeeding issues where she`s completely taken over. This issue was completed on the 22nd of February so probably most of this was done under Carine.

Let`s judge Emmanuelle on the August issue which is all under her power.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post

i think u have to understand that under the business perspective, french vogue is doing quite well. it would be a dull idea for french vogue to change the formula overnight. so people shouldn't expect an all alt's issue with her own ideas left, right and centre too soon.

people shouldn't be too quick jumping to a conclusion about the transition bw roitfield and alt. it's gonna take at least 5-6 issues to get a glimpse of alt's direction and vision for french vogue. so to come up with a concreted conclusion just based on a dress that was chosen for a photoshoot back in november of last year is a silly statement, IMO.

french vogue aesthetic wont change drastically, so i hope people dont expect nonsenses.

11-03-2011
trendsetter

Same dress at Vogue Germany april 2011. Poor Emmanuelle...

www.tausando.com

trendsetter

i thought Carine's closing date was 1 feb., she finished the march issue in early february.
maybe she has something styled for this issue(one last Lara ed maybe ), but most of it i think it's by Emmanuelle.

V.I.P.

While I agree that we should not judge Alt's tenure based on one issue, at the same time Alt does not get a complete pass because she was promoted from within and she may have even been the stylist on this shoot. She may not have been the one who green-lighted and staffed all of the shoots, but presumably she is the one who assembled the issue.

ETA:
The interesting thing is that VP's covers under Carine were a strength, with one of the shortcomings being that the eds did not fulfill the promise of the cover. Also, it's not bad, but I don't think that it that off-the-wall to expect more from the debut issue when an insider got the job and that insider is a stylist and the fact that this has been featured on "lesser editions" of Vogue is just .

Last edited by agee; 11-03-2011 at 05:08 PM.
11-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefrenchy View Post
Meh. It looks very summery and she looks gorgeous but it leaves me quite cold. It lacks something stronger.
And they really should change that ugly font that cheapens everything.
Don't get me wrong, I love it. Gisele looks absolutely fierce here, but it's lacking that "spark" that I usually associate with VP.

backstage pass

I don t know when carine last day was but this cover+ editorial had been shoot early november!

11-03-2011
front row

I feel like I've seen this shot a million times on Vogue Paris already. Oh no wait, this time it's not at the beach but in the countryside. Now that's new and innovative !!!

11-03-2011
V.I.P.

What's the huge deal with the dress? It's not like it hasn't happened before. Plus the shoot took place under Carine's reign, and I doubt we'll see Emmanuelle's full vision until later. One a lighter note I adore the cover - expect for the Gisele's Photoshopped right leg. Although I'm certainly left gagging for more.

V.I.P.

I think this cover and the next couple months were decided while Carine was there. She said so in an interview that six months of content was decided.

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f71...101103-57.html

11-03-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinAndTonic View Post
I feel like I've seen this shot a million times on Vogue Paris already. Oh no wait, this time it's not at the beach but in the countryside. Now that's new and innovative !!!
next time, the cover should be shot on the moon, by then people will be happier with the background.

11-03-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by matheus_s View Post
Same dress at Vogue Germany april 2011. Poor Emmanuelle...
Well, I thought it was. But then it is a stunning dress. (Even if Britt wears it better.)

I guess the "atmospheric" similarities between the VP and VD covers this month aren't the only thing they have in common.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, april, bŁndchen, gisele, inez, lamsweerde, matadin, paris, van, vinoodh, vogue