How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-07-2011
V.I.P.

i just ran through the Escale A L.A. collections edit and it looks like a trying hard version of Venetia Scott's style. the only stand out is Melanie Ward's work with Lara, there's alot of creativity present, the styling is exceptional and juxtaposes really well into the beach setting; i love the Hilfiger, Rick Owens and Viktor&Rolf shots the most.

too bad Ward's brilliance isn't enough to rescue this edit as Koller and Alt's work just exacerbates the repetitive factor; the former has a style too simple, we've seen the walking/jumping around the village shots too often and add to I&V's direction for this shoot the clothes are just forgotten in the haze.. the latter meanwhile looks bent on nailing the most predictable and gaudiest shots in all of printwork, it's sad since Freja and Natasha are immensely talented and yet with Alt they are stereotyped to infinity doing the same shots over and over.. i just can't expound on how hackneyed her work is. for me the only notable thing she's done for the magazine is employ Hans Feurer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
I think the model choice for this one is weaker too. Yes these are the "established" models who typically do excellently, but what does Emanuelle have against using more than the same 10 models? Like in Febraury there were "newer" models with Daphne and Saskia, last August had Aline, Jac, Frida, Aline, etc. Carine didn't seem completely against using new & different models. Whereas, Emmanuelle seems to be totally against it at this point.
this.

Last edited by AgrenateD; 16-07-2011 at 05:49 AM.

16-07-2011
French Chic

When you have an editorial as immense as 'Escale A L.A.' is and you cannot pick one single picture that is impressive, then something is amiss.
This was a wasted opportunity with all the talent involved. The 4 pics in Hans Feurer's editorial, speak to me much more than anything in the main edit.

tfs star

One question..... why that there's no Gucci in the main editorial?!?
Can anyone explain me that?!

MON
V.I.P.

^ There is! It`s a black polka dot chiffon dress

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
^ There is! It`s a black polka dot chiffon dress
Ohhhh thank you! I didn't noticed that! And i was a bit shocked that I didn't saw an image from the Gucci collection.
But from alll the very good clothes that were in that show they choose that dress that i think it was on Snejana Onopka?!?! Really?!

trendsetter

It's good to see Sigrid and Jourdan, and Snejana of course. But otherwise it's the same old, same old.

Am surprised Daria hasn't got a cover yet, seeing as she's Alt's favourite model. I think it's quids-in she'll get the September cover.

Last edited by pavonine; 16-07-2011 at 08:14 AM.
16-07-2011
fashion icon

Well I think they're pretty much like US Vogue, they use the same girls over and over again until recently.

16-07-2011
front row

I don't know why most of freja's pics are b/w.Only one color pic which freja in tomford is one of my favourite.
What's more,i want to seeing some more sides from her other than this rocker side in VP.

trendsetter

Agreed it's too long-- Like 3 separate eds in one. Should of just been the shots of Lara and the surfer boys

16-07-2011
don't look down

I would have been happier if we'd got three or so separate editorials, with each model following her own particular LA storyline, so I could stop and appreciate each one for its own merits, rather than having every shot pushed together into an interminable mess.

you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle_gb View Post
Well I think they're pretty much like US Vogue, they use the same girls over and over again until recently.
US Vogue wasn't this repetitive really. I mean they have the models that they love and use often, but they never used the SAME models in basically every issue. They at least had a rotation.

16-07-2011
V.I.P.

Well I feel bad to say this but, I'm enjoying the entire issue so far , so much that I'm going to give up on pride and buy ~VogueParis!~ next month. The story by Karim Sadli is the center of the issue for me, it kicks off the autumn mood with great 90s styling and a fantastic model + photographer combo. . and he's also someone whose photography seems to have that sequence and light emphasis similar of Hans Feurer's work, so the fact that the original is also part of this issue and doing a beauty editorial (he's so good with closeups) adds more points. I know the story about LA is actually meant to be the focus point here but for me it works more as the 'accessory story', either a warm up to Hans/Karim's work or.. post warm-up!, it's super long (which I love), very individualistic when it comes to each models' style and reputation (Lara doing Lara, Freja doing Freja, etc) and the LA theme is as broad as the styling and number of pages so, it keeps the eye entertained.

My only issue is what everyone's already mentioned.. the casting. I think VP could improve dramatically by going back to being as risky with their casting as they used to be.. remember Anne-Catherine Lacroix's cover? something like that could benefit them, not necessarily using models that are creating buzz (like Jac, Frida, Daphne) but going with unique choices or girls that project the magazine in a more 'modern' way, there's Aymeline Valade for instance.. beautiful woman, with personality, French.. the fact that they keep rotating 5 models and always making them do the same is just so unbelievably tedious. I do see how they're relying on safe choices because they've gone off track and these 5 models are basically the 5 most successful models working right now that could guarantee instant attention to the magazine but, success is part of a vicious circle that has nothing to do with being the best of the best, feature a girl in 5 consecutive issues of either Vogue Paris or US Vogue and that girl will be walking everywhere and landing everything and the fact that she's doing that gives you more reasoning to keep featuring her on your magazine, does that make her exceptional as a model? not really. I think Vogue Paris could be a lot more commanding instead of becoming a victim of its own trends, plus Emmanuelle, judging by the contributors she's been featuring, clearly wants to move on quite a bit from the usual suspects found on the issues under Carine.. you can't quite accomplish that until you remove some of the faces associated with that era and by this I mean models whose career highlights circle around a couple of shows (Balmain and Isabel Marant surprisingly) and Vogue Paris (Natasha, Snejana, Anna).

I wouldn't expect this to change any time soon though, I think Emmanuelle's magic is that she's good with friends, but not necessarily with time, you look at the shoulder pads she's still sporting and what she's done at Isabel Marant, and kind of get the current state of Vogue Paris.

Last edited by MulletProof; 16-07-2011 at 05:34 PM.
16-07-2011
don't look down

The things you could do with Aymeline Valade in Vogue Paris...

V.I.P.

^Aymeline in VP would be a dream
there's also Constance and Charlotte who are french models as well

16-07-2011
backstage pass

i think the cover is pretty boring but lara looks good

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, august, inez, lara, paris, stone, vinoodh, vogue