How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-11-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavavinny View Post
Tiggerouge, this is a fascinating interpretation of the cover image and I completely agree that the image implies that Mr. Ford is some sort of manipulative puppet master. In addition, there are intense voyeuristic overtones to this image, suggesting that not only does Mr. Ford like to control what woman wear and see them get pleasure from the clothes, but that he also is (sexually) gratified himself watching his creations.
But Tom's gay.

21-11-2010
God Save McQueen

^Tom's sexuality is irrelevant. He has always exploited women (and men, but this is about women) in his work. He definitely sees himself as the puppet master. Yes you can take it terribly, but it is the role most designers play and see themselves in. Tom just embraces this more openly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox_yr_sox View Post
I'd prefer glamour rather than smut. I have to say that I really liked the vibe in the recent Vouge US piece; it seemed to suit Tom and the collection really well. Hopefully, VP produces a diverse range of ways to look at Tom Ford, not just a hyper-sexualised, myopic vision, largely as a result of Richardson. Of course, Tom and sex go hand in hand, but there are ways and then there are ways to show this.
To me, Tom has always towed the line between smut and glamor. I am thinking of when he sent models down the runway wearing nothing but luxurious silk kimonos, open and showing their breasts. Or when he made red carpet ready gowns with cut outs emulating female genitalia.

21-11-2010
fashion elite

^I'm just saying I don't think he's getting any sexual gratification looking at Daphne.

21-11-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
To me, Tom has always towed the line between smut and glamor. I am thinking of when he sent models down the runway wearing nothing but luxurious silk kimonos, open and showing their breasts. Or when he made red carpet ready gowns with cut outs emulating female genitalia.
I would love to see that. Where can I find pictures??:p

21-11-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimirose View Post
some members of society would do so and we must remember that this is a fourteen year old girl.
She's not 14. She's 15.

(sorry for brining up age, but wanted to clear that up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid
I wonder why Carine hasn't gotten her hooks into Ashley Smith yet. The real Lara 2.0.
Maybe if they did a trailer park inspired editorial...

Last edited by *Bianca*; 21-11-2010 at 06:55 PM.
21-11-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
oh and i bring again my 100% SUPPORT to this issue, the cover model, the choice of photographers, Tom Ford comes back in womenswear, and Carine Roitfeld choice of supporting her old-time friend Tom Ford
For some reason I feel like Mr. Ford is doing Carine more of a favor than she is doing him a favor. I really feel like he could have picked any publication that he wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
if there will be another DVD in this issue, perhaps the movie of Tom Ford or the teaser of the upcoming one ....
From what I've read and been told Tom filmed his show as well as like I guess the "makings of" or something like that. Anywho, I hear that may be the DVD that comes with the issue as he is also like filming some comedy or something.

22-11-2010
trendsetter

LOL, some people here have a real problem seeing things creatively, in regards to the placement of things on the cover. Though at the same time they're imaginative enough to think that Daphne looks like Lara?

22-11-2010
V.I.P.

^First, it's not that difficult to imagine, esp. cause they closed her eyes, bleached her eyebrows, is blond and it's VP. I don't get why people have such a problem with people who thinks she looks like Lara on this cover. If that's someone (including me) first thought that it was Lara on the cover then it is :S (not in real life for me or other photos).
So, you should complain to CK, he started with that he want a show full of Lara look-a-likes.

Btw. Daphne will be in a month 16 I get why people have ageproblems when it for example comes to creditbility. It's how someone feels the cover and if that makes it less credible because of the age then it is. I personal do not have that big problem, cause I think if I didn't know if it was daphne, it didn't know that the girl on the cover was 15. She really pulls it off.

BUT I wanna know what's inside!

Last edited by Forrest; 22-11-2010 at 04:45 AM.
22-11-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
^Tom's sexuality is irrelevant. He has always exploited women (and men, but this is about women) in his work. He definitely sees himself as the puppet master. Yes you can take it terribly, but it is the role most designers play and see themselves in. Tom just embraces this more openly.
True and i do have a problem with that. I think the cover would have been much nicer with only the Image of Daphne in reverie. But I still love it, Daphne's image is striking enough to make Tom irrelevant.

22-11-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post

BUT I wanna know what's inside!
AMEN!

22-11-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelaid View Post
AMEN!
does anyone know when will be this issue on newstands? i cannot wait! i loooooooooove it! its different yet beautiful and eyecatching thats what matters the most.

22-11-2010
V.I.P.

^ ON newsstands, November 30.

22-11-2010
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
Maybe if they did a trailer park inspired editorial...
I can see it now, shot by Terry Richardson.

22-11-2010
V.I.P.

THANK GOD it's not lara stone again

backstage pass

I think the comments, analysis and anticipation of some posters are definitely more interesting than the cover-- or the contents will be.

I like image of the cover-- just like I like what I've seen of Tom's designs for his womenswear. It's nothing earth-shatteringly new, bold, or will change fashion, but that's never been his signature. His style is modern-retro. And this image is just that to me. If this had been the late 70s, this image would be featuring Brooke Shields with Calvin Klein watching over her. That's my first reaction when I saw this. My second reaction is, Lara Stone, again?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to an entire issue with Tom at the helm (hopefully with Terry Richardson only contributing to some of the shoots), because sometimes, Carine can be so tacky.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010 or jan, 2011, daphne, dec, ford, groeneveld, marcus, mert, paris, tom, vogue