Vogue Paris December 2017/January 2018 : Rihanna - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

3 Weeks Ago
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I hate the Juergen but love the other two

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growl View Post
First one looks like some homeless editorial from Purple Magazine, 2nd one looks like Cosmopolitan, and the 3rd one looks like a mannequin head at a hat store.
LOL perfect description. These are all such non-events...I don't think there's anything else to be added.

3 Weeks Ago
trendsetter

It all looks so half-arsed.
These year-end-guest-edited issue use to be more celebratory.
Instead of doing three mediocre covers, why not do one sensational cover?These are terrible.
Jean-Paul Goude has done sooo much better. Look at his work with Grace Jones.
The I&V could be a shot from a 60s era girl group. Unremarkable.
And that Juergen Teller photo should never see the light of day.

3 Weeks Ago
backstage pass

Goude's cover needs a more dramatic eyebrow/eyeshadow, it's a very insipid close-up the way it is. I&V's cover is a mess including Rihanna's hair looking like a 2 cent wig. Teller's color scheme is quite fresh and I love the vibe but that death stare it's such a turn-off. Not impressed but excited for the shots inside.

3 Weeks Ago
front row

Such a let down! I love Rihanna but all three covers are boring in my opinion, and it's such a disappointment for the December issue. To the point that I don't know if the Juergen's one is not my favourite because the least expected for VP.

3 Weeks Ago
windowshopping

Jean-Paul Goude's cover is the better one.
But overall, I'm disappointed with these covers.
I have no problems with Rihanna on the cover but they could've done better, especially it's a December issue. They need something stronger for the year-end issue.

3 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
Interesting Alt didn't employ her favorite photographer like Sims to shoot her. I do wonder if he might have got something "more" out of her, that said, have no idea if she ever worked with him before.

Like someone said, she puts her name on EVERYTHING these days, it doesn't seem like it matters at all, as long as she gets paid!
Sims shot one of her US Vogue covers, where they made her look like a young Whitney Houston. See, because her face is constantly plastered on magazine covers one tend to forget these things.

And yes, I find Rihanna's masterful hoodwinking very interesting. People are so blinded by her cool factor that they don't see she's really all about the money, much more than her peers. Luckily I got her number ages ago. I mean I suppose when you're not musically strong, you need to compensate it with something else.

3 Weeks Ago
Hell on Heels

i surprisingly love these, and i'm no fan at all of alt's work for VP. I'm intrigued, can't wait to see the full editorials

3 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

Out of all three I only like the I&V cover. I would have liked Teller's if it didn't look so flat, and Goude's one is just a lazy rehash of his work with Grace Jones (Slave to the Rhythm remains to be one of my favorite albums and its artwork has a special place in my heart and in history, so no thank you).

trendsetter

I don't know.. Teller's cover looks bad. I&V is okay. Gode's shot is not cover worthy but nice.

2 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

Seeing those covers again, i must say that the biggest letdown of it is the fact that she hasn't received the VP treatment. From Sofia Coppola to Ines, from the Beckhams to Paradis, every celeb on the cover of VP were the ultra-glamorized version of themselves. Even Charlotte Gainsbourg was the vamp, seductive woman she doesn' t seems to be when you first think of her.

This feels very "branded". Rihanna just look like Rihanna and in a way, she is using her power and influence to make sure it is "Rihanna" enough. She has her own personal stylist styling her on the cover of VP!

I wonder how much of it was personal decision of Alt or something suggested by LVMH/Dior. I know Alt is very close to Dior's PR and a lot of people at Dior so...
I'm sure it was a part of the deal to make it "guest-edited" because they know she doesn't have any loyalty when it comes to business (except when it is for Anna W).

I mean, she is wearing Pucci and Dior (LVMH) and i'm sure Fenty Beauty (done in collab with Sephora which is owned by LVMH) is also part of the deal. It's fair game as Chanel had last year December issue.

I just wish she looked like the usual VP woman, not just Rihanna playing the fashionista game...

I mean, i wanted to see her with windy hair, a long gown in Monaco or even jeans in a salon of an Hotel Particulier

2 Weeks Ago
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.C. View Post
Like someone about said... these covers look like a minor Vogue edition. Also, Rihanna needs to take a break between albums. She’s exhausting.

It's been almost two years since her last album. I think people forget that outside of music, fashion is Rihanna's biggest outlet. Puma, Dior, Fenty Makeup..... since she's so big in France, i'm shocked Alt hasn't put her on the cover sooner.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakThatJDunn View Post
It's been almost two years since her last album. I think people forget that outside of music, fashion is Rihanna's biggest outlet. Puma, Dior, Fenty Makeup..... since she's so big in France, i'm shocked Alt hasn't put her on the cover sooner.
She is big in France but French Vogue is a different magazine. It only speak to a small range of fashion people. Yes, she is loved in the parisian fashion scene but part of being on the cover of VP is to have a relationship with Emmanuelle. It's not like a business deal like at UK Vogue because celebrity culture is not that important here.

She did Elle which has a wider audience.
This will bring a wider audience to VP...An audience that doesn't necessarly read/care for the magazine.

2 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post

And yes, I find Rihanna's masterful hoodwinking very interesting. People are so blinded by her cool factor that they don't see she's really all about the money, much more than her peers. Luckily I got her number ages ago. I mean I suppose when you're not musically strong, you need to compensate it with something else.
Jesus Christ, is she cool? Itís at times like this i feel really old, in my neck of the woods you would lose your reputation if you listened to whatever was the equivalent of Rihanna at the time . No one worth knowing at school would listen to the type of **** she makes. I was brainwashed to have a natural aversion to the Rihannas of this world.😁

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

I was not expecting to see Rihanna on the Dec/Jan cover so I'm disappointed. Not excited by it all. Where's the year-end festive vibe? I see none.
I like the color scheme on the Juergen Teller cover but she looks like she just woke up and the cover just doesn't scream Vogue Paris. The I&V one is too pretty for my taste, nothing special. I like the Jean-Paul Goude one a lot better, nicer and more interesting but that's about it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2017, 2017 or january, 2018, december, december or january, guestedited, january, juergen, paris, photographers, rihanna, teller, vogue