Vogue Paris December 2017/January 2018 : Rihanna - Page 5 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
A very bold statement you're making there. Maybe 'the entire North American general public' should save their dollars and actually go out and buy her much rumoured US Vogue cover, because they certainly didn't the last time she got it. Likes and shares won't keep magazines alive.
I mean, I never claimed that her "cool" factor moved magazine covers. lol.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoholic24 View Post
Wow... I did not know Rihanna was so polarized. I cant with the snobs comments...

Nice choice of subject, not that great outcome. I´ll wait for the content to judge!
She’s hardly “polarizing”. To be that she would actually need to make an effort at a statement.

Forgettable covers aside (at least she’s not sporting that awful prop from that boring movie she was in where she played a cartoon jelly octopus…) She is effortlessly cool and cool-looking, and oozes attitude, no doubt. Her music is a matter of taste— and she’s hardly some artistic visionary and creative maverick like some are convinced she is. (Yes, her music got better from its safe, dj-by-numbers beginnings for the last couple of albums.)

But being revered by the masses— and fashion’s place in that mass, which is frankly at its dumbest than it’s ever been, is the equivalent of being the king of the diph*ts at his point in time… When Kendall and her slew of generics are the new model army, Youtubers and InstaCelebs are some of the most influential personalities for teens, and the most basics of hoodies and sweatshirts are the new high fashion statements, being crowned the Coolest by this generation’s general public is hardly that impressive of an achievement. I mean Walmart and McDonald’s also make bank, so what does her makeup and clothing cashgrab lines have anything to do with artistry…???

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateIsGr8 View Post
What’s astounding is that you believe it’s a “fan fantasy.” She’s a vet, she’s done this for 12 years now. She didn’t just have a few ot songs with The Chainsmokers and disappear lol
Just like your reply, yes its a total fan fantasy!! Is this really your argument? That because she has been doing this for over a decade she can't possibly fail? Please take a look at the history of pop stars, and celebs in general, and you will see that fame & success is fickle, and can end in a hot minute. I guess beeing a Rihanna fangirl it's easier to just call people "haters" than actually realize the reality of what i am saying. I never questioned how well she has done in her career, and i don't wish her, or anyone else, failure, but success, and fame is never guaranteed for life! Far bigger stars than her have fallen from grace, so.....yeah!

2 Weeks Ago
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycanadian View Post
I mean, I never claimed that her "cool" factor moved magazine covers. lol.
Consumers are savvy and not always as mindless as often assumed. Rihanna's fans are legion but they buy what they connect to. They don't connect with US Vogue at all. Their interest extends to how it burnishes Rihanna's image and no further. It is up to magazine titles to have exceptional clarity about who and how to serve their audience, or a strong and confident strategy on how they wish to change/expand it, because slappin' on any ol' biddy will not work. Who needs to buy that magazine issue when, on any given, day an IG photo caption will offer more interest than anything the celebrity says with an overly deferential magazine writer over a salad? When one cracked out pap stroll evokes more excitement and imagination than an editorial? Some may worry about the public's taste--I worry about the editors'. Are they even allowed to have one in the current system?

I don't know how French Vogue readers feel about Rihanna but, like Lola, I wish the team had been allowed to do something more transformative. She has better presence and charisma than most models so, in that sense, it's disappointing. Perhaps the eds will be better but I'm not hopeful.

Not too concerned with artistry here. The big titles are not producing art or anything artistic; for how many fashion mags is that a concern? I don't know if I want them to bother, really, but that's a different thread.

As a black Caribbean woman, I totally get why Rihanna is all about that cash. (I know you care.) Benn has some of your numbers, RiRi, so hoard the rest .

Last edited by Bahiyya; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:06 PM.
2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
She’s hardly “polarizing”. To be that she would actually need to make an effort at a statement.

Forgettable covers aside (at least she’s not sporting that awful prop from that boring movie she was in where she played a cartoon jelly octopus…) She is effortlessly cool and cool-looking, and oozes attitude, no doubt. Her music is a matter of taste— and she’s hardly some artistic visionary and creative maverick like some are convinced she is. (Yes, her music got better from its safe, dj-by-numbers beginnings for the last couple of albums.)

But being revered by the masses— and fashion’s place in that mass, which is frankly at its dumbest than it’s ever been, is the equivalent of being the king of the diph*ts at his point in time… When Kendall and her slew of generics are the new model army, Youtubers and InstaCelebs are some of the most influential personalities for teens, and the most basics of hoodies and sweatshirts are the new high fashion statements, being crowned the Coolest by this generation’s general public is hardly that impressive of an achievement. I mean Walmart and McDonald’s also make bank, so what does her makeup and clothing cashgrab lines have anything to do with artistry…???
I live for this kind of comment ahahah WELL SAID, I think exactly the same, it´s a sad state of the industry indeed. Hence why SO SO SO many people stopped buying magazines, myself included (and I used to buy 6-8 magazines every month for many years)

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Is there any news on content?

backstage pass

The covers are not bad. However, I always get scared when VP put celebrities on covers. I would hate for it to become like Vogue US and use only celebrities. It is a scary thought to me. Also not sure how I feel about her guest editing, what does she know about it? I admire her and she is incredibly stunning, I am just unsure about this.

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

My favorite is Teller's by miles. Love the colors, how cute she looks on it (yes, I do think she looks better this way) and the fact it's not over-retouched (which is quite refreshing for a Vogue cover, regardless of the edition). Looking forward to seeing the editorial by him if there is any (I guess so) and the other contents.

2 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaaMonroe View Post
The covers are not bad. However, I always get scared when VP put celebrities on covers. I would hate for it to become like Vogue US and use only celebrities. It is a scary thought to me. Also not sure how I feel about her guest editing, what does she know about it? I admire her and she is incredibly stunning, I am just unsure about this.
Celebrities had never been really a thing for VP since Carine took over so don't worry, i don't think that VP would ever be like Vogue US . It's really a cultural thing.

The guest-editing thing is a tradition at VP. None of the subjects knew anything about it. It's mostly an issue dedicated to Rihanna where she can suggest collaborators (her stylist is styling one of the cover), have a suggestion in the content but Emmanuelle is still the boss.

I know that Tom Ford was really involved in his issue and spend time at the VP offices and all. I don't think Rihanna was that much involved, due to her various projects.

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Yeah, it's not a guest editing effort in the traditional sense. Because firstly, she doesn't speak French, so it would be difficult to give her full control. Even when Tom Ford guest edited the VF Hollywood edition he went above and beyond, overseeing not only all the photography, but most of the written features and layout as well. Lady Gaga for V was another one.

2 Weeks Ago
boop

This thread is highly entertaining.

Love the Goude cover. He should really be shooting in every Vogue Paris, his work is so...French for lack of a better description.

fashion icon

Poor Rihanna, she's not looking her best these days. These covers are not good, sorry not sorry. The last one is passable thanks to Mr Photoshop.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post

nailed not only this silly issue but fashion as a whole! Rihanna has great style (or stylist) and i enjoy her music but i find it misleading and down right insulting to all our intelligences when its suggested these celebs have anything other than superficial input into these fashion lines and collaborations.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Preview of Rihanna by Jean-Paul Goude:

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps View Post
Who was the last black model to get a solo cover of Vogue Paris? Alt probably sees Rihanna as filling her quota, which means there won't be another one for a long time, if ever.
My thoughts exactly!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2017, 2017 or january, 2018, december, december or january, guestedited, january, juergen, paris, photographers, rihanna, teller, vogue