How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-05-2011
V.I.P.

Original or not, I think it's an enjoyable ed.I like that it appears to be shot at dawn.

21-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForChicSake View Post
this is ok but if they actually used linda herself it would have been amazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiranYana View Post
Now that I've seen some of the preview
It makes you wonder, why not just use Linda ?
I Linda and most of the other supers but most of them can''t emote any more due to botox and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyisle View Post
Linda's had more energy, more tension AND it was grittier, and sexier. Isabeli's ed while beautiful, is a bit too "clean".
I like both eds but I agree with this assessment. I like the current ed quite a bit with the styling being one of the strengths and dare I say that Isabeli, who I often think is beautiful but flat, actually had life in this ed, but I do agree that the other ed utilized the setting better and was grittier in a good way. The current ed is more about the fashion and the Meisel / Evangelista ed is more about the story.

Last edited by agee; 21-05-2011 at 05:57 AM.
21-05-2011
backstage pass

its just alright for me. i know it will probably look much better in person, they usually do.

21-05-2011
front row

great photos but ok styling i think

21-05-2011
V.I.P.

Well, I love it.

21-05-2011
fashion insider

the only thing I do not like about the cover and ed is all the comments here)lol...come on...the cover is fantabulous and the editorial is gorgeous...sure the inspiration is way too obvious, but it is fun to make a remake of that amazing editorial with Linda(which i still miss in my collection), and M&M did a great job, love the colours and of course this one looks more modern! Linda looks her best in that 1989 ed, but the guy they used there looks horrible, at least this time it is Clement...and Linda could never be used now for the same ed as she would not look as good as in 1989...lol.
It is funny that they did the same remake with Raquel in Vogue UK...maybe we should wait for the Anja remake for German Vogue now)...whonder who the photographer will be...Maybe Alexi Lubomirski)

21-05-2011
V.I.P.

I think the cover is ok, looks pretty but it is nothing special. I wouldn't have chosen this picture for a Vogue Paris cover... it needs something more exciting! carine was good at giving the magazine a great cover...

V.I.P.

eventhough, i think Alt is not bringing enough edge and the touch VP needs for the moment, the comparison with Roitfeld already bother me !!!
of course, this is different ...
Did u remember the first years of Roitfeld ? That was a real change from previous intellectual VP ... Alt will never bring that and we know it ...

Regarding that editorial. I find it weird ... Not that I don't like it ... I love it (eventhough the one with Linda was and is still more refreshing) ... But I just don't see why Emmanuelle is doing that. Is it an editorial that has inspired her ? I don't really see that in her usual styling ... And I'm sorry but she can only do rock n roll or classic gown and NOT that kind of stuff.
But it's probably a story by Carlyn ? I don't know it looks more like her ...

Last edited by BerlinRocks; 21-05-2011 at 03:00 PM.
21-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
I like both eds but I agree with this assessment. I like the current ed quite a bit with the styling being one of the strengths and dare I say that Isabeli, who I often think is beautiful but flat, actually had life in this ed, but I do agree that the other ed utilized the setting better and was grittier in a good way. The current ed is more about the fashion and the Meisel / Evangelista ed is more about the story.
But of course. Meisel is a storyteller-always has been, while Mert and Marcus's edge mainly comes from their aesthetic choices within their photography. It makes more sense that this editorial is more about glamour and sex...it almost has the over the topness of their earlier work, circa 2003-2006. I think it's interesting to see such a different execution of the story. And all these people saying how M&M should have done this, that and the third different to make the story better..Mert and Marcus are Mert and Marcus..not Steven Meisel..! Why hire Mert and Marcus to do Meisel's work? There's hardly anything bad about the editorial, looking at it from any point of view. It's very true to Mert and Marcus's usual work so I feel like if you really follow what they do and you're really criticizing the editorial that intensely, it's either because it's just not your taste or you're hopping on the bandwagon. It's probably one of the better editorials we've seen in 2011 thus far! (ETA: this isn't directed towards you personally, I'm just going off of what you said to continue a point I was trying to make earlier)

Last edited by Mchunu; 21-05-2011 at 03:30 PM.
21-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radolgc View Post
It is funny that they did the same remake with Raquel in Vogue UK...maybe we should wait for the Anja remake for German Vogue now)...whonder who the photographer will be...Maybe Alexi Lubomirski)
And let's not forget about a Steven Klein story for W with Daria. That was also heavily inspired by the Meisel ed.

21-05-2011
V.I.P.

Even though the inspiration to Linda's Cuba editorial is really evident, still, I think this is a great editorial. Isabeli has managed to pull of the short hairdo so well. Plus, she just looks so damn gorgeous in those clothes. Well, since when she has not, right? I do also love the use of colors here. Not that over-the-top, Bourdin-esque, color explosion that we usually see with M&M's work. This is just a relaxed spread that is so good to look at.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanii94 View Post
Well, I love it.
Me too! Isabeli looks so beautiful. I hope my newsagent will stock VP this month.

V.I.P.

I was a bit iffy on the cover, but the main story has sealed the deal for me. It's excellent and I'm buying this just for that Pucci shot.

22-05-2011
French Chic

Although it's an unashamed blatant rip-off, I still think it has it's own merits and there is no doubting that Isabeli looks as beautiful and sexy and sultry as she ever has. Both the original and this editorial are aesthetically pleasing and I would imagine that some folks new to fashion would not have known about Linda's edit.
In fact these would probably be the best judge, as they would have had nothing to compare it to.
M&M are masters with their use of colour and the choices of clothing here are damn near perfection. A good job IMO.

tfs star

Is the male model Celement?

Btw, the ed is beautiful! I love it. Isabeli looks gorgeous.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, alas, fontana, isabeli, july, june, marcus, mert, paris, piggott, vogue