How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-05-2011
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Very well put. Personally I think she's going at it the wrong way at it, but it's not just her. This idea that you will recapture a certain maturity by copying elements of what made a beautiful self assured woman, not a girl, in the past, instead of understanding women now days, puts me off completely.
I hardly see any self assured women at all. People capitalize so much on women's group pressure mentality that I really don't think there are many left. Basically, either a person isn't deserving enough to be self-assured and be treated well or they're simply so highly strung because all the contortions they have to go through in order to come close to perfection that they've lost their ability to enjoy themselves. Let me ask you - where is Janis Joplin of today? Someone who would just let down their hair and let go - and be f-ing brilliant - and - be recognized for it even if she wasn't "perfect".

And that is the sole reason why going back to the roots, retrieving the sense of self and women's right to have fun and be relaxed, might be necessary.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 27-05-2011 at 07:01 AM.

27-05-2011
fashion insider

Anna De Rijk is flawless in that editorial, I hate how underrated she is but at the same time i'm so happy Paris Vogue has made her a regular in their issues.

✎...

GO ALT!! Go Go Gooooooo Alt!!!!

27-05-2011
there is no fear

I am totally enamored with Anja's, Janice's, Eniko's, Snejana's and Sasha's pics. So i can't join in with the general disappointment. As a matter of fact, i really didn't like Carine's last issues, this is the first Vogue Paris i want to buy in a loooong time.

27-05-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
I hardly see any self assured women at all. People capitalize so much on women's group pressure mentality that I really don't think there are many left. Basically, either a person isn't deserving enough to be self-assured and be treated well or they're simply so highly strung because all the contortions they have to go through in order to come close to perfection that they've lost their ability to enjoy themselves. Let me ask you - where is Janis Joplin of today? Someone who would just let down their hair and let go - and be f-ing brilliant - and - be recognized for it even if she wasn't "perfect".

And that is the sole reason why going back to the roots, retrieving the sense of self and women's right to have fun and be relaxed, might be necessary.
I do not consider Janis Joplin a good example at all, she was very talented, but she had a bloody miserable life and was plagued by insecurities that ultimately lead to her demise. She's was everything but a self assured person, quite the contrary.

I do not agree at that with this bleak view of woman now days, and I certainly do not think we should look in the past the past for some mythical womanly qualities. Someone like PJ Harvey is as brilliant as anything the 60s or the 70s ever created.

30-05-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
I do not consider Janis Joplin a good example at all, she was very talented, but she had a bloody miserable life and was plagued by insecurities that ultimately lead to her demise. She's was everything but a self assured person, quite the contrary.

I do not agree at that with this bleak view of woman now days, and I certainly do not think we should look in the past the past for some mythical womanly qualities. Someone like PJ Harvey is as brilliant as anything the 60s or the 70s ever created.
Bravo for the PJ Harvey example...I think ultimately the women group pressure mental is being severely fed by these magazines, that keeps giving us the same types/people over and over again instead of using their clout to share some "new" or not so overexposed people...there are so many smaller exciting artists and whatnot, why to we have to keep getting the same stew of tiring people over and over again...one could argue that's what the readers want to see...but well...

06-06-2011
windowshopping

Wow! A sexier version of Linda. Silent Models' Eric Dubois should be congratulated for quietly steering Isabeli's career.. she's never looked so amazing. Fantastic cover Mert & Marcus!!

06-06-2011
V.I.P.

I know that it is heresy but Isabeli did a better job in her ed than Linda, and I say that as someone who often thinks of Isabeli as a gorgeous shell, the photography and ambiance is better in the Meisel ed, and the image of Linda in the kerchief is great, but I am going to give credit where credit is due and Isabeli turned it out... she was on fire.

06-06-2011
V.I.P.

this issue is about greece and summer, greece is in its worst economical situation ever. who want's to go there...

nothing is interesting in this issue. blaaaaah

V.I.P.

^ Wouldn't that make it less expensive and it is not as if the ocean is less blue or anything. Also I think that it is a good thing to promote a location that is not "in" and trendy.

06-06-2011
V.I.P.

^yes, but it is a little bit much for a magazine to take up the task imo.

V.I.P.

I have to say it is the first time when I am enjoying Vogue Paris since Emanuele in a chief..Loving all editorials except of awful cover and the main story (although Isabeli pulls off this styling very well)..

09-06-2011
rising star

well i like it, so whatever.

18-07-2011
V.I.P.

ebook30.com

Isabeli Fontana

Brigitte Bardot
Jackie Kennedy

edit: Les nouveaux argonautes
ph: Cedric Buchet
model: Eugenie Niarches, Ariane Labed, Rebecca Camhi