How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-09-2009
she's got the look

2009 has been the worst year under Carine Roitfeld, imo. I won't say it's because we haven't seen Mario Testino there... there were several issues of the past without him and they were fantastic either way.
It's been predictable in almost (I won't say every because I'm not an usual reader. actually, I can't even speak/read in french, so let's only discuss about the editorial part) every aspect: styling, photography, casting... I&V, Balmain, Alt... I absolutely love I&V but I can't see their "cool" aesthetic as good as I used to do. So tired of denim chic and high boots! Even Allure's october issue was much more interesting than this.
I really liked Lara's ed because the execution was good and the styling is kinda appealling to me. Kirsten's is also good but I couldn't forget to say it feels reminiscent of her VI issue.

21-09-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
They are not relevant as models,apart from Kate, they are simply celebrities.
I completely disagree.

Christy/Linda/Kristen/Claudia were not only supermodels during the 90's but are relevant in the fashion world today because they still get jobs and are still active (hence this collective topmodel issue since most of them have generated a trend as of lately).If they were getting jobs simply for their celebrity then we would hear more about their personal life on tabloids/mags than about them getting the YSL/Chanel/D&G campaigns (I mean who gives a toss about what Eva, Kristen McMennamy (who even knows her outside the fashion world ?) do outside their fashion job ?).Reversibly, only Kate applies for the qualification of being a celebrity nowadays, her quotidian life is documented daily.Kate can feature on a cover of a non-fashion mag and not just because she's a model, but also because she generates a certain demand, because she sells outside the fashion world.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by j'adorekapusta View Post
looking carefully through the thread, i thought the whole discussion feels quite ridiculous. i mean, this is a fashion magazine, not a dogma.

the only edit that i semi maybe perhaps kinda love is eva by hedi slimane, and i think thats only because i love slimane's work generally.

21-09-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanker_phledge View Post
I completely disagree.

Christy/Linda/Kristen/Claudia were not only supermodels during the 90's but are relevant in the fashion world today because they still get jobs and are still active (hence this collective topmodel issue since most of them have generated a trend as of lately).If they were getting jobs simply for their celebrity then we would hear more about their personal life on tabloids/mags than about them getting the YSL/Chanel/D&G campaigns (I mean who gives a toss about what Eva, Kristen McMennamy (who even knows her outside the fashion world ?) do outside their fashion job ?).Reversibly, only Kate applies for the qualification of being a celebrity nowadays, her quotidian life is documented daily.Kate can feature on a cover of a non-fashion mag and not just because she's a model, but also because she generates a certain demand, because she sells outside the fashion world.
I think they are simply celebrities, do actually believe they get work because they are amazing models, and managed to defy age and they are the best fashion houses can get? They get work because they were famous models of the 90s because they marked a certain period, because people can recognize them in the ads, absolutely nothing more. If you put Claudia on the cover the average Joe, will look at it and say look Claudia, Cindy, Christy , Naomi, Eva,Linda it doesn't matter if they are airbrushed to oblivion or if they they can actually model now, they are celebrities and that gives the brand, magazine, notoriety and sales. They are simply famous people. Vogue US with their endless stream of actors are just less hypocrite. They may not pull sales like a Jennifer Aniston but they are certainly have much more power than someone like Lara or Daria, ever will.

And yes photographers and certain mags lately do dig up this relics that nobody really knew outside the fashion world , do you actually believe photographer bring them back because they were so good that even Know they need to photograph them, or because they are some sort of curio for fashion lovers?

Well i do not Know where you live, but I Know about this supermodels more than I need to know, particularly because they do nothing that merits mention , they are constantly in mags, constantly, I Know anything that Naomi does, I Know The names of Claudia's kids, I read more interviews with Helena and The painfully dull Christy that would last me a lifetime. Eva of Wonderbra fame, was at Jonathan Ross last week, FGS, her only claim to fame, you guessed it, the Wonderbra ads. They are all part of popular culture now. I do not see how can someone deny this and believe that this family "mothers" to quote Berlin.:p are getting work because they are just so skilled at their job that no one can do it better.

And yes Kate is a Total celebrity, the biggest of them all i don't deny it , but people were still indeed fascinated by her as model, till last year at least, her image as model still marveled, she managed till quite recently to be at exactly the same level as this new girls, as someone that people used, because she was the best, not only because she marked an age or because her private life sold tabloids. Now thing are changing, that's why I think this cover is absurd, to me she indeed got it now , because she is Kate Moss nothing more.

21-09-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
I think they are simply celebrities, do actually believe they get work because they are amazing models, and managed to defy age and they are the best fashion houses can get? They get work because they were famous models of the 90s because they marked a certain period, because people can recognize them in the ads, absolutely nothing more. If you put Claudia on the cover the average Joe, will look at it and say look Claudia, Cindy, Christy , Naomi, Eva,Linda it doesn't matter if they are airbrushed to oblivion or if they they can actually model now, they are celebrities and that gives the brand, magazine, notoriety and sales. They are simply famous people. Vogue US with their endless stream of actors are just less hypocrite. They may not pull sales like a Jennifer Aniston but they are certainly have much more power than someone like Lara or Daria, ever will.

And yes photographers and certain mags lately do dig up this relics that nobody really knew outside the fashion world , do you actually believe photographer bring them back because they were so good that even Know they need to photograph them, or because they are some sort of curio for fashion lovers?

Well i do not Know where you live, but I Know about this supermodels more than I need to know, particularly because they do nothing that merits mention , they are constantly in mags, constantly, I Know anything that Naomi does, I Know The names of Claudia's kids, I read more interviews with Helena and The painfully dull Christy that would last me a lifetime. Eva of Wonderbra fame, was at Jonathan Ross last week, FGS, her only claim to fame, you guessed it, the Wonderbra ads. They are all part of popular culture now. I do not see how can someone deny this and believe that this family "mothers" to quote Berlin.:p are getting work because they are just so skilled at their job that no one can do it better.

And yes Kate is a Total celebrity, the biggest of them all i don't deny it , but people were still indeed fascinated by her as model, till last year at least, her image as model still marveled, she managed till quite recently to be at exactly the same level as this new girls, as someone that people used, because she was the best, not only because she marked an age or because her private life sold tabloids. Now thing are changing, that's why I think this cover is absurd, to me she indeed got it now , because she is Kate Moss nothing more.
What you say is completely subjective, you might not think that their work is consistent or that they're just dull or whatever, but proof is, they are relevant for the fashion market, and not just for it but also for the way people react at them (which is where it comes from), no one buys a magazine or reacts at a fashion campaign 'just' because someone was famous 10 y ago but also because that person is still capable of generating a demand, an envy, or else there wouldn't be any market for them and not just for nostalgia sake.Brands are not that stupid to put someone upfront who wouldn't be able to sell ****, they're not that suicidal.So, quite obviously, these girls know how to do their jobs (hell, they got the model status to the point of becoming an incredibly lucrative position), or else they wouldn't be in that position now.Who gives a **** about Claudia Schiffer being on a l'Oreal or Chanel campaign, if the customer can't say 'I still want to be her'.Claudia (or any super) is recognisable,true, she has an impact because of who she was, but the important thing is can the customer still relate to it ? Quite obviously, people still do now.

They are all part of popular culture, it's true, but you need a lot more to last and more specifically to sell.

Last edited by nanker_phledge; 21-09-2009 at 10:16 PM.
21-09-2009
V.I.P.

where is Helena , Linda, Gisele, Naomi, Amber ? all supermodels !

V.I.P.

kate is just now a celebrity
Every day I see her life in journals that is true

you soft and only

Why can't someone be both a celebrity AND a model?

22-09-2009
front row

Id?
Who is it?
Photographed by Giampaolo Sgura.
Scanned by me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VOGUE_FRANCE_200910_101.jpg (195.8 KB, 36 views)

22-09-2009
backstage pass

Laura Blokhina?

22-09-2009
V.I.P.

Yes thats Laura Blokhina. She always looks terrific in the Zoom section. Thanks for scanning!

-- aGGravaTion de caS --

Thanks augiziere...
I think they really like Laura in VP.

front row

Message for pajonk
This is issue has 324 pages.
There are 7 pages with Anna Selezneva (6 pics by Claudia Knoepfel & Stefan Indlekofer, 1 pic by François Nars).
Scanned/photographed by me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VOGUE_FRANCE_200910_207.jpg (271.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg VOGUE_FRANCE_200910_306.jpg (161.0 KB, 33 views)

22-09-2009
trendsetter

augiziere, could you, please, snap Diane's ed?
Merci d'avance.

Ère de ℳodernité

I'm jealous you got it augiziere because I still didn't get mine.

Tu l'as eu toi elsa?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, inez, kate, lamsweerde, matadin, moss, october, paris, van, vinoodh, vogue