How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-08-2012
tfs star

Well, I, for one, love all three covers equally..but only because that is a GORGEOUS shade of red for the lipstick.

13-08-2012
tfs star

Daria's & Lara's looks bored, their posing is uninspired. Lara looks a bit busted in the face.

13-08-2012
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMe View Post
I am incredibly annoyed by the covers for the same reason I was annoyed by the recent Karlie/Joan W covers. It feels a bit pointless to use models only to make them look like carbon copies of one another. I think it would benefit them more to differentiate between these current and upcoming supermodels. Same hair, same makeup, same background, even the same dress? Seeing them all lined up together exacerbates how boring it all ends up looking.
My thoughts gravitated towards the Karlie/Joan W covers as well. Even though the clone concept was intentional in this case, and not the catastrophe that the W covers were, I still find it quite antiquated and insipid in a day-in-age when society has become better about embracing differences and individuality than we were, say, when Barbie was created in 1960s. Sadly photoshop has gone from being a tool to fix flaws to being abused to turn models into someone's super-human beauty ideal... as if their beauty is not already out-of-this world in real life.

13-08-2012
V.I.P.

I love it so far, though I shouldn't speak too soon. This is certainly more "Parisienne" than Alt's earlier work as editor (I can't help but wonder if this re-design is result of so much Alt backlash) . Also, I happen to think Lara's face/expression is gorgeous, though I agree Kate has the best cover.

13-08-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
My thoughts gravitated towards the Karlie/Joan W covers as well. Even though the clone concept was intentional in this case, and not the catastrophe that the W covers were, I still find it quite antiquated and insipid in a day-in-age when society has become better about embracing differences and individuality than we were, say, when Barbie was created in 1960s. Sadly photoshop has gone from being a tool to fix flaws to being abused to turn models into someone's super-human beauty ideal... as if their beauty is not already out-of-this world in real life.
That's true, at least these were meant to look similar. That idea can work, (I'm thinking Vogue Paris June/July 2008 with Laeticia and Noemie by Testino) but I think one of the big failures here is the photography. There's no real depth to the covers. The lighting on these women doesn't mesh with the plain grey background making the post-production so obvious. I hope it translates better in real life. Perhaps I'll warm up to this as I did with last year's September cover which I now love, though it couldn't be more different than this year.

13-08-2012
tfs star

Where are everyone's nipples is the better question!

13-08-2012
fashion icon

This the most uninspired September cover I've seen in a while.

13-08-2012
Zenga Zenga

That's not bad, that's just sad. Three great models, an aesthetic that could have worked well and what do we get then... some kind of photoshop disaster (seems they erased everything that makes them look real and alive, from the emotions on the faces to -as somebody just pointed out- the nipples). Seems that leaves aren't the only things falling down in september...

13-08-2012
When in doubt, wear red.

I still don't understand why change the color of the original background they used for the shoot. It just ruins everything and yet they did the same with Gaga's Vogue cover. A white background or more realistic grey one would've been better.
As for Garrance Doré, why giving her a monthly column when you have Mademoiselle Agnès ?? I know she's more a woman of action than words but still.

I'm a little bit starting to wish Virginie Mouzat had got the EIC job...

fashion elite

what's the point of picking three of the biggest models in the world when you make them all look identical and wear the same dress... i'm sorry i just don't get it and it's yet another miss from ms. alt.

13-08-2012
backstage pass

sorry but that is one of THE most ugliest dress i've ever seen on a cover. it looks so messy and not flattering! that's the first thing i noticed. the girls look fine, it's that dress!!

13-08-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelaid View Post
what's the point of picking three of the biggest models in the world when you make them all look identical and wear the same dress... i'm sorry i just don't get it and it's yet another miss from ms. alt.
I agree, but Mert & Marcus have a habit of doing these kinds of stories. Like that Love issue with all the models standing around naked doing the same pose. I feel like they want to show how these models look different and bring something fresh even when they're posing identically. But the execution makes no sense whatsoever to me. If you're trying to celebrate these models individuality why do so by making them look alike??? I would've preferred if they were styled differently, showcasing each model's personality. Or even if they each wear the same dress, have the hair and makeup be different to show how one dress can be worn different ways and look good on almost anyone.

13-08-2012
fashion elite

but their facial expression are totally different and that is the main point. it's important to spend more than a few seconds before making judgements.

13-08-2012
trendsetter

kate moss' cover is the most intriguing and therefore the best in my opinion. lara's is rather disappointing

fashion insider

For my part I love it. I may get Daria and Lara.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, daria, kate, lara, marcus, mert, moss, paris, september, stone, vogue, werbowy