How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-12-2010
front row

patricia and iris eds have some interesting shots but the cover...i don't have words...can't understand, i love jessica stam cover of december and this one, the january cover it's very strange..i agree with some people who already say that this cover looks more like tatler than vogue

14-12-2010
windowshopping

I have to a admit I got a little fangirl when I saw this cover (used to be obsessed with rhythmic gymnastic), but it really is pretty tacky. Incidentally, Kabaeva and Irina Tchachina (another Russian rhythmic gymnast) have appeared in Russian Vogue before:

http://www.dance.net/read.html?posti...plies=3&page=1

V.I.P.

The only thing that almost saves this issue is Iris edit, she looks amazing and great styling but the cover and main edit are so tacky looking.

16-12-2010
V.I.P.

Russian site glossy.ru says this is only first issue made by new editor-in-chief.

The Daily Telgraph's article about this cover

Quote:

Vladimir Putin's 'mistress' on cover of Russian Vogue

The newly appointed editor of Russian Vogue has courted controversy by putting Vladimir Putin's alleged mistress on her first front cover.

The January 2011 issue features former rhythmic Olympic gymnast Alina Kabayeva, 27, wearing a £21,000 gold Balmain dress with her hands on her hips.
Viktoria Davydovaís decision to give her such prominence in the magazine is one that is likely to irritate the strong man Russian prime minister who has scornfully denied a newspaper report that he has left his wife Ludmila, with whom he has two daughters, for Miss Kabayeva.
While there is no substantive evidence that Mr Putin, 58, is romantically linked to Miss Kabayeva, who also happens to be an MP for Mr Putin's ruling United Russia party, the alleged affair has long been the hottest gossip topic among Russia's elite.
The rumour first came to public prominence in 2008 when a Russian newspaper, owned by billionaire oligarch Alexander Lebedev, quoted a source as insisting the story was true.
Mr Lebedev shut the newspaper down soon afterwards claiming it had not been a commercial success though many suspected the real reason was to appease an angry Mr Putin.

The rumours later escalated when bloggers claimed Miss Kabayeva had subsequently given birth to Mr Putin's love child. Mr Putin has angrily claimed that there is "not one word of truth" in any of the allegations, while Miss Kabayeva's spokesperson has refused to discuss what she derided as "nonsense."
Mr Putin has rarely been seen in public with his wife Ludmila in recent years, citing a heavy workload. He married Ludmila, a former air hostess, in 1983, the same year as Miss Kabayeva was born.
telegraph.co.uk

16-12-2010
V.I.P.

Daily Mail aslo has article about this cover.

16-12-2010
MON
V.I.P.

Wait, so if this is Viktoriya Davidova's first cover... It means that we are to expect worse covers??? Oh gosh

V.I.P.

it's actually her second cover, the first one had Anja Rubik on it, anyway I don't think it can get any worse that this

22-12-2010
windowshopping

I used to work in Vogue Russia, and was there when a pure genius was replaced by this... trash (nothing else comes to mind). I have no respect or support for Davydova and every single day I pray she gets fired. How can the magazine progress when along with Aliona, about 5 Vogue professionals left after her? Nobody worthy wanted to work with this retard. Kabaeva has nothing to do with the fashion industry, and her modeling in the issue is appalling to say the least.

If that wasn't enough, for those who haven't heard, in last month's issue Davydova published an article about Tokio Hotel with an appalling photoshoot. Tokio Hotel is not particularly respected in Russia (is it even respected anywhere anymore?) and is remembered as an obsession of 12-16-year-old girls (goths...emos....and other fashion criminals) about 3-6 years ago.

I apologize if this has been published/discussed before but just in case it hasn't (or wasn't seen) please, judge for yourselves.

V.I.P.

What an awful cover.

MON
V.I.P.

Viktoriya is really doing a bad job. My friend has this issue and it`s just dull. The pages are lackluster unlike when Aliona was in it. She has got to be replaced.

you soft and only

Consdering how she got the position, I think we'll be stuck with her for a while. Dear lord.

22-12-2010
MON
V.I.P.

That`s true. She was appointed right? I think there are 2 versions of the cover. One is foiled and one is regular text

trendsetter

OMG.......Kabaeva for Vogue....ridiculous. I thought it`s a joke when I read the title of this thread. She has nothing in common with Vogue and fashion.

23-12-2010
windowshopping

Have you guys noticed the ridiculous sectioning that Davydova is doing to the magazine? As if it is some cheap british "teen mag" for girls in black leggings and scary eyeshadow.

V.I.P.

C'mon guys ... it's her first issue. So we must take sometime to study her work before we reach any conclusion.

Tags
2011, alina, january, kabaeva, russia, vogue