How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-07-2006
V.I.P.

Love the criticisms of the 'Young London' shoot, especially SiennaInLondon's 'rant'. I mean, just this comment...
Quote:
"Fifteen-year-old Tamara grew tired of the London club scene when she turned 12".
I don't know whether its supposed to be tongue in cheek, I can only hope so...

11-07-2006
V.I.P.

Can someone tell me what "rah" means in this context? I've seen a few members refer to the editorial as "very rah" and I have no idea what that means

MONAJ.NET IS BACK: updated May 19
twitter.com/beyondrecovery
11-07-2006
fashion icon

that "Tamara Bell claims (stress the claims) grew tired of the London clubbing scence at the age of 12" oh yes of course theyd let a 11 year old in a club, what ever you say, Tamamara darling. This editorial was absolutely aful, and the only other thing i can add on top of the spot on comments of everyone else who critisised this is that theyve made the entire young population of London seem oh so stuck up, snobby middle class (not saying all the middle class is snobbish, just theseo people), and unable to make even the most expensive clothes look good (bar one or two of the models who looked good .) All of which is untrue . mind you some of the guys where pretty hot

Last edited by chanelnumber5; 11-07-2006 at 01:52 PM.
11-07-2006
V.I.P.

have you heard of sloanes ?? they are basicly the same thing altough rahs arent just in sloane square and london

urban dictionary offers these difinitions

Quote:
Someone who went to private school (or wish they had), likes rugby (not football), probably a member of a rowing, sailing or yachting club, refer to their parents as "Mummy and Daddy". Boys: often seen to be wearing a lemon (or any pastel shade) sweatshirt slung casually over their shoulders and deck shoes.
Girlsress similar to that of boys along with pearls, numerous shopping bags and Daddy's credit card.
Names often include: Rupert, Will, Guy, Jeremy, Emily, Alexandra, Henrietta, Harriet. Followed by a double/triple barrelled surname, e.g. Harrington-Smythe.
Quote:
Noun. Refers to a social 'type' among young people, often at while at university or school. Depending on the environment this term can have varying degrees of intensity.

Generally, it is used when refering to someone who posseses or aspires (painfully) to the stereotypical characteristics of what is seen as a higher social class (in the traditional, fixed sense).

For example, in a wealthy public school a rah may have to envoke an image of old aristocracy and do so in a pompous and superior manner - usually demonstrated in an expensive, flamboyant lifestyle and often loudly declared opinion.

Whereas in an enivronment where there is fewer generally exuberant lifestyles an individual could be termed a rah simply for being obviously more asperational or often just wealthy in itself.

Has many connotations of succeeding only as a result of old boy networks and from being fully supported by parents.
Withnail is perhaps a rah in the asperational sense.

Sebastian of Bridehead Revisited could be described as a rah.
Quote:
a person who was born with a spoon in their mouth, usually of the silver variety. They will have recieved a private education and at least one person in the family will be into ponies. They will wear silly clothes and their lack of integration leaves them with a very unique sense of fashion. They look down at the common folk and daddy drives a land rover vogue. Will generally own a "new Mini" and drive around in their car bought for them whilst wearing a body warmer of sorts. Floppy hair and lots of cheek kissing. Girls will be called : Hatty, Poppy, Ellie, Tabatha, Tamar etc. They will never carry a bag over the shoulder and would rather carry more books than they can manage under one arm. There are few problems with the types until the university stage where they are released into society. The naive pomp of these fools can often lead to violence. Degree courses will include law, politics, English or History.
I have to leave the library, there is no way I can listen to these rah-rah dicks shitting out their mouths for any longer
hope that helps a bit

11-07-2006
Charm Offensive

cosmocat & chanelnumber5 - wholeheartedly agree!

tiamaria - you've really done your research! I was going to come up with something but you've explained better than i ever could - thanks!
Oh, and love the last line in that last definition

Last edited by verna_gold; 11-07-2006 at 02:27 PM.
11-07-2006
V.I.P.

^^dont thank me hehe thank urban dictionary all i did was search and rob there definitions

11-07-2006
V.I.P.

thanks so much tiamaria That clears things up

MONAJ.NET IS BACK: updated May 19
twitter.com/beyondrecovery
07-04-2009
The future is stupid

ENGLAND'S DREAMING
Model:
Guinevere Van Seenus
Hair: Gianni Scumaci
Makeup: Samantha Bryant