How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-07-2009
don't look down

For me, the high point of this issue is in the cover credits, which state that Sasha's embroidered silk dress costs £42,900. But the rest of the content is rather flat. The ingredients are there - ideas, models, clothes, photographers - but nothing really comes alive.

I'm wondering if it's the sequence the editorials come in; if we had the Milan (Sasha) or Paris (Lily D) one as an opener, would it make more of an impression, rather than that New York one - which is the weakest, in my eyes. The weakness of the New York editorial followed by Karlie's fairly simple studio one perhaps sets a half-hearted tone to the issue which doesn't lift when you come to the better sections.

10-07-2009
trendsetter

I'm very curious about suplement Vogue loves..

10-07-2009
don't look down

Well, it's about 64 pgs, properly bound with a spine (no staples) and opens with a 2 pg Kurt Geiger ad, followed by SUGAR RUSH, a 6 pg advertorial for Kurt Geiger with Daul Kim, shot by Benjamin Alexander Huseby.

Then its a 24 pg look at the catwalks, by theme - velvet, leather, shoulders, the colour indigo etc - with catwalk images large and small.

Then another 6 pg feature about Kurt Geiger with more shots of Daul Kim. Accessories from the catwalk gets a 4 pg look, then it's 4 pgs more Kurt Geiger stuff with Daul Kim again.

Then at the back of the supplement, a 7 pg feature "Vogue loves..." which looks at other details from the catwalks, like what hotels to stay in, the music of some shows, a few model 'off duty' shots... then it's another Kurt Geiger ad, an Ugg ad and FINALLY the beauty section, 3 pgs of small shots, it's more a list of products than it's a guide to what the make-up looks were.

The last page is the wish list of Vogue editors and boutique directors.

In short: half the supplement is Kurt Geiger advertising and a lot of the other content feels like blatant 'product placement' which is fine when there's a lot of images to look at, but the main catwalk section is only 24 pgs long.

trendsetter

tigerrouge thank you

11-07-2009
V.I.P.

Who is the girl in the Kurt Geiger ad?

11-07-2009
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
For me, the high point of this issue is in the cover credits, which state that Sasha's embroidered silk dress costs £42,900

Awwww I was gonna post this

But yeah - definate highpoint of the issue.

11-07-2009
Geometric Discharge

Yes, all of the photography and clothes chosen are pretty dull. And if the clothes weren't dull the photography made them look it.
But I am very glad Richard Nicholl got featured

11-07-2009
fashion icon

£42,900

I've noticed they've also started to give out make-up credits in the editorials, in the form of "make up tips", or have they always done this and I've not noticed?

11-07-2009
don't look down

They used to credit perfumes in the editorials, as an absurd form of advertising.

clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
For me, the high point of this issue is in the cover credits, which state that Sasha's embroidered silk dress costs £42,900. But the rest of the content is rather flat. The ingredients are there - ideas, models, clothes, photographers - but nothing really comes alive.

I'm wondering if it's the sequence the editorials come in; if we had the Milan (Sasha) or Paris (Lily D) one as an opener, would it make more of an impression, rather than that New York one - which is the weakest, in my eyes. The weakness of the New York editorial followed by Karlie's fairly simple studio one perhaps sets a half-hearted tone to the issue which doesn't lift when you come to the better sections.
The whole magazine is really surprisingly boring. I don't know how they manage that with such great models cast, but...there it is.

11-07-2009
rising star

daul's ed is really cute, and i love jourdan's interview as well. the casting is really amazing this issue, like sasha, freja, jourdan,daul very edgy !

11-07-2009
fashion elite

the editorials are fantastic. Especially Lily's.

12-07-2009
V.I.P.

Just got this yesterday! I really liked this issue. I am officially in love with Karlie and Lily's eds. I kinda disliked the Freja and Sasha ed. I liked the piece on Alber as well.

12-07-2009
backstage pass

i loved the italian desinger edtiroail but freja's face looked weird in that story.

12-07-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMagAddict View Post
Well... there wouldn't be any WORK without the MAN.
Well the man could be a complete ******* for all we know, so it's the work I'm going to judge and value. Just saying "man" implies that I should respect his character. It's nitpicking, but still an important distinction to me.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, august, demarchelier, patrick, pivovarova, sasha, uk, vogue