How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-07-2005
front row

Ugh. Come on W, I expect a little better.

08-07-2005
backstage pass

Surprisingly, I love the cover and the other photos! Katie looks beautiful in them. Here's a related article from yahoo.com - it's weird that Tom and Katie always seem to be at a "loss for words" about each other. And the Scientology chaperone is just plain weird.

The future Mrs. Tom Cruise has already tried on at least one wedding gown. Katie Holmes appears in the August issue of W magazine posing in a Commes des Garcons wedding dress and continuing to gush about her fiance. The couple, who went public with their relationship in April, haven't announced a date for their marriage.

"Tom and I will always be in our honeymoon phase," Holmes says in W, on newsstands July 22. In the interview, a theme emerges with many similar comments, including "Tom is the most incredible man in the world."

Cruise, 42, and Holmes, 26, became engaged last month after the "War of the Worlds" star proposed at the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Holmes, who co-stars in "Batman Begins," has said she's taking lessons in Cruise's faith of Scientology.

"I'm learning to celebrate my own spirit, my own being," she says.

During the W interview, the actress wouldn't part from Jessica Rodriguez, who is described as her "Scientologist chaperone." Rodriguez's role in Holmes' life remains vague, though Rodriguez says they're "just best friends" since meeting around the time Holmes met Cruise.

You adore him," Rodriguez told Holmes when the actress was at a loss for words to describe her love.

Not to forget their day jobs, Holmes says she wants to make a movie with Cruise.

"That would be such an honor," she says. "Such an honor."

___

- Leo Buscaglia
08-07-2005
V.I.P.

that chaperone arrangement is just creepy.

flaunt the imperfection..

the funny thing is they shot her in the wedding gown BEFORE the engagement...
:p

08-07-2005
V.I.P.

she isn't even worthy of a tabloid cover, let alone W...

08-07-2005
scenester

has anyone read the interview of her in w? i read a clip of it online...so weird..she sounds brainwashed and doesn't even answer any of the interviewer's questions, just keeps saying how much she loves tom and how great he is....

http://www.style.com/w/feat_story/070505 link to article

08-07-2005
backstage pass

from cnn.com

Cruise, 42, and Holmes, 26, became engaged last month after the "War of the Worlds" star proposed at the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Holmes, who co-stars in "Batman Begins," has said she's taking lessons in Cruise's faith of Scientology.

"I'm learning to celebrate my own spirit, my own being," she says.

During the W interview, the actress wouldn't part from Jessica Rodriguez, who is described as her "Scientologist chaperone." Rodriguez's role in Holmes' life remains vague, though Rodriguez says they're "just best friends" since meeting around the time Holmes met Cruise.

"You adore him," Rodriguez told Holmes when the actress was at a loss for words to describe her love.

10-07-2005
fashion insider

They had the guy who interviewed her for W on Entertainment Tonight, and he said it was frustrating talking to her because, even when the questions were not Tom-related, she would find a way to bring the focus of the interview back to her and Tom's relationship. And the writer said that he found it very odd that her "handler", the woman from the Scientology center, insisted on sitting in on the interview. She is such an annoying freak!

tailored

review from bwgreyscale boards...

BEST EDIT: 'cameo' dusan reljin shoots lisa cant, vlada & elena
bagucci in lustrous silken Victorian formal wear. katie mossman styled the clothing, and the compositions here are breathtaking. each resembles a Flemish [ver meer, van dyck] portrait or mid-19th century studio photo [a la nadar but in color]. this might be the best lisa cant has ever looked to me. at last her doll-like frozen expression finds its best placement. vlada also is stunning, akin to emina's best work-- the sexy yet placid eastern european brunette, thin, ethereal, angelic & untouchable.elena bagucci might be the most beautiful in this edit. an ivory complexioned eastern european who looks like a blue eyed cecelia chancellor from an aristocratic family. in fact, elena is one of the most aristocratic looking models Ive seen since, say anne v or roos VB. these ultra-luxe looks are amazing, in jewel tones of azure violet, ruby amethyst & sapphire. prada- val- ralph- gucci - armani- dior- missoni. remember roversi's shadowy, anachronistic W edit a few months back, gemma etc? that was great [to me anyway] but this is even better. each pic is like a set piece portrait in a Dutch oil painting, perfect & timeless. among my fave reljin edits ever in W. far & away the highlight of this issue. rating 9+ of 10. lisa cants best work to date & elena & vlada are just as great.

EDIT: 'saturday night' by david sims. models:ilona kuodiene, amy
findlayson, kurstin beaver, elaine fonseca, roc montandon,, arian
laste, shaun haugh, styled by alex white. interesting edit. very english, very 1959 teddy boys/kitchen sink drama, bedsit edit. lots of charged emotional romantic & near-violent storylines, pomaded hair, 50s dresses. superb pics lots of atmosphere. models effective english actors for these roles but I would have preferred 'marquee' famous 2005 models. still impressive & worthy edit for theatrical, period piece ambition. rating 7.25 of 10.

EDIT: DIOR retrospective. images: from debut collections feb-march
1947. ingrid bergman in 'indiscreet' 1957 [the most beautiful screen goddess ever? very possibly]. galliano's hot cream suit 2005. jos baker 1956 [WOW!!]. dietrich in 'stagefright' 1950 [TRIPLE WOW!!!]. pat o'reilly 1957. From dior's bow in 1947 to galliano's extraordinary couture show last week, is there any doubt that Dior is one of the most creative, elegant, sophisticated & impressive fashion brands & artistry ever? No. rating 8.5 of 10.

COVER/EDIT: 'holmes sweet holmes' katie holmes by michael thompson, styled by alex white. cover is best image. 2 lame pics inside. didnt read rbt haskell's feature yet.this is not the katie holmes edit we'd like to see. for thompson, extremely disapointing. photo rating: 2.5 of 10 mainly for fair cover.

EDIT: ewan macgregor shot by dan winters. 2 portraits show how lame
thompsons kat edit is. Ewan looks so much hotter & more intelligent
than kate here.

* geoff beene remembered by rbt haskell. 3 pager appreciation of 1 of
most talented steadfast & important US fashion talents ever.

ADS:
calvin klein 4 pg. (natalia)
bottega w/turly
chanel w/daria
marcel marongiu w/caroline winberg
calvin klein obession night w/gemma
prada w/gemma
armani 4 pg. (erin wasson)
dior (kate)
ysl (daria)
cavalli w/poly, maria carla, lily d.
bcbg w/stam
oscar w/eugenia
neiman marcus w/emina
etro w/polina
akris w/maria dvrinik
fendi w/carolyn murphy
burberry w/kate
marc jacobs w/kristen mcmenamy
piazza sempione w/tasha tilberg
diesel w/ana beatriz
michael kors w/erin wasson

VERDICT: STRONG ONE THUMBS UP. For Reljin, Sims & Dior edits alone, this mag is a must-have. The clothes models & compositions in Reljin edit are among best set pieces in W in 2005. These 3 girls are particularly beautiful & Reljin/White's settings present that perfectly. Sims' kitchen sink drama is a bit wearing yet the compositions styling & acting is successful dramatically. Intertesting counterpoint to picture perfect/Flemish Reljin story. Dior retro is great, as is james turrell's neon pool & winters' macgregor portraits. the social & shopping stuff was a little lighter than usual but cant complain about suzy nor the sharp party pics. On an aesthetic / consumer basis, the ads were great to see, august is suddenly 'the new september' for a lot of labels' to debut fall ads, and there were some great ones incl natalia, turly, daria, gemma, polina, winberg. basically if you're a euro-centric US fashionista like myself, this august W is essential, and ideal for the beach, as cool late afternoon breezes hint at golden autumn sunsets, beyond the east end beaches & potato fields. pass the banana boat, thanks. see you in september. I LOVE "W"!!

Last edited by kimair; 12-07-2005 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added the rest of the review
11-07-2005
V.I.P.

^i can't wait to see the dior retrospective, it sounds really good.
thanks a lot for the review!

11-07-2005
trendsetter

Apparently they bumped Jennifer Connelly to put Katie sooner on the cover. She was originally going to be on the September issue.

backstage pass

That's too bad - I love Jennifer Connelly. She is one of the most beautiful women, in my opinion, and a terrific actress. My favorites roles have been Requiem for a Dream and House of Sand and Fog. It's a shame W bumped an Oscar winning actress for a girl who has done practically nothing but "date" a big time movie star. I guess for magazines the decision of who to put on the cover is strictly looking at the bottom line -- who might sell more magazines -- whether due to true talent or a talent for stirring up publicity and/or scandal.

- Leo Buscaglia
14-07-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

looks abit like natasha poly on the cover though the fact that shes on that crazy roller coaster ride called Tom Cruise kind of ruins it for me. Cant see it without some bias>>>

02-07-2012
V.I.P.

So interesting to read this interview now after all those years.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2005, august, holmes, katie, michael, thompson