How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-07-2009
V.I.P.

I'm glad to see that W finally produced a good issue agaian with some decent content.

07-07-2009
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcobeyd View Post
Love Lara, I think she's very unique, but iconic... I'm sorry, she might be someday, but she still has to work her butt of for that... you can't compare the amount of work she's done to the newest supermodels like Gisele or even Karolina in smaller scale... When Gisele was named a supermodel she was on the cover of W, US Vogue, Harper's Bazaar at the same month, and Dolce, Dior, Versace, ads in th same season... she was at the cover of Rolling Stones for christ sake... I hope Lara gets the same recognition, but she still have to prove herself as more than a (very) good edgy model.

The market no longer allows for this. How often do we even see a model on the cover of those magazines anymore, let alone a model that is newer? Gisele and Karolina emerged during a time when those opportunities were still present each month. Now each and every one of those magazines is essentially dominated by celebrities and the odds of any model - even a supermodel such as Gisele appearing on all of those magazines at once is unlikely. I think we have to judge differently now - the rules have changed. We have bonafide supermodels who have yet to get a single only girl slot on Vogue US or W - for Lara to get a cover of a major American fashion magazine and an article about her is very good. If anything this reminds me of Daria's W cover. People who don't know much about Lara are going to get to see her shine.

I also don't think the conversation should be whether or not Lara is an icon. We don't know what is going to be considered iconic in a few years - this time next year we could all be having this conversation about someone else entirely. I think what is more important is what makes Lara the girl of the moment and why she has been selected as opposed to other girls.

07-07-2009
V.I.P.

While the discussion about Lara's iconic status, if she deserves this and if she is a new supermodel is certainly interesting I don't care one bit about it. Lara is iconic and a true superstar in my book and the fact that she scored this cover says something. Lara brings it on like no one!

07-07-2009
boop

HQ:

Image Credit | Scanned by Me from W August 09

07-07-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
The market no longer allows for this. How often do we even see a model on the cover of those magazines anymore, let alone a model that is newer? Gisele and Karolina emerged during a time when those opportunities were still present each month. Now each and every one of those magazines is essentially dominated by celebrities and the odds of any model - even a supermodel such as Gisele appearing on all of those magazines at once is unlikely. I think we have to judge differently now - the rules have changed. We have bonafide supermodels who have yet to get a single only girl slot on Vogue US or W - for Lara to get a cover of a major American fashion magazine and an article about her is very good. If anything this reminds me of Daria's W cover. People who don't know much about Lara are going to get to see her shine.

I also don't think the conversation should be whether or not Lara is an icon. We don't know what is going to be considered iconic in a few years - this time next year we could all be having this conversation about someone else entirely. I think what is more important is what makes Lara the girl of the moment and why she has been selected as opposed to other girls.
i agree with this for the most part, but i think it's fair to say that since these opportunities no longer exist then there aren't and will not be any new real icons. Nothing against Lara because i do like her, but i think the word icon and it's meaning doesn't change with time..atleast not this quickly. There just aren't any model icons anymore. that's just my opinion, though.

Last edited by Mchunu; 07-07-2009 at 08:17 PM.
07-07-2009
V.I.P.

thanks for the HQ cover. It's so un-Steven Klein. Thats a good thing.

07-07-2009
V.I.P.

WOW Lara. So hot. Still sexy even with that stupid hat on.

I am the only one who would have preferred her topless on the cover? And instead of Chanel Fall 2009, she could have worn Chanel No. 5

07-07-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchunu View Post
Nothing against Lara because i do like her, but i think the word icon and it's meaning doesn't change with time..atleast not this quickly. There just aren't any model icons anymore.
Ever since I saw the word icon scrawled over a picture of Agyness, I realized that the meaning of the word has changed. We apparently don't have to wait a decade or more in order to recognize someone's contribution to culture. But why wait? Even if Lara does fall out of favor next year, she has obviously shaken up the industry. We might as well celebrate and enjoy what we have now. I may not be enamored with Lara, but I'm happy for her fans. However, that cover is hardly iconic. Too bad.

07-07-2009
fashion insider

Sorry but you don't become an icon until your old and shrivvelled and dead.
Then you measure their impact on the industry. If they survive that long.

07-07-2009
The future is stupid

Magazines are a medium that increasingly vie to produce instant classics, icons, supermodels... all swept up in emotion. Magazines want to be in the spotlight & have the glamor of being first. Come on Lara just look pretty for us... and no one better tell them she isn't. But here comes 2011 & maybe by then you'll be saying... Hey Lara! What have you done for me lately? Magazines have to keep looking forward. And there's always another model out there somewhere looking to grab the spotlight. I'm looking at that cover & I'm thinking it has a certain star quality about it. But then again... maybe it's only infatuation... not love.

07-07-2009
backstage pass

I automatically write off anything that says "____ New It Girl!"

fashion insider

Well said MMA, If shes around in 10 years, we can starte calling her an icon.

07-07-2009
trendsetter

thank you luxx! is it out on news stands in NY? ill get it tomorrow or something

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchunu View Post
lara on the cover of W. this is major.
I think her name is printed big is more MAJOR

Hopefully her only girl ed is much much better than what
I&V shot her for May...then again where is Mert & Marcus again ?

Big thanks to Luxx for the all ad updates and HQ cover
Sad that imagebam is experiencing downtime

Last edited by surrealseven; 07-07-2009 at 09:59 PM.
07-07-2009
V.I.P.

^Maybe W is saving them for the September issue.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, august, klein, lara, steven, stone