How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-12-2013
.my prison is your brain.

I haven't bought W in ages, but will be rushing to get my hands on this.

I can't wait to see "Step and Repeat" -- what a cool effect the Margiela masks have with the heavily patterned styling and great model poses.

Kristen is a model of another caliber, that Walker editorial is breathtaking.

The supplement cover is the only lame duck, Anna Ewers is such a bore to me.

04-12-2013
backstage pass

You know, I've always though Tim Walker has good ideas-- from time to time, but his execution always seems lacking, as if the result never lives up to the potential: That Marion Cotillard Nutcracker shoot from last Christmas, and the Dame of Thrones being perfect examples of a good concept that lacked its full potential in the final results.Tim's like the George Lucas of fashion photography to me.

But this... this Far, Far From Land is exquisite. Just sublime. It's cinematic. With this shoot, I think Tim finally is able to take advantage of the rich production and talents of his team and translate his concept successfully as a powerful narrative of a high fashion story. Whatever he tapped into to produce such stunning but effortlessly natural-looking results free of digital-manipulations, I hope he keeps at it. Truly one of the strongest, and best editorials produced in some time. Everyone on the team should be very proud.

W as a whole is still directionless for me, and I still despise the graphic designs. Whoever is responsible should be fired. It's painful-- simply the weakest component that W suffers from. And this story deserved so much better graphic design.

Last edited by Phuel; 04-12-2013 at 02:37 PM.
04-12-2013
trendsetter

Tim Walker and Kristen make the best matches!

tfs star

Can Jacob K gets some props, too? Not like Ive studied every single last editorial he's worked on, but his work w/ Mr. Walker always looks amazing. You can definitely tell their "on the same page" in their collaborations..if that makes sense.

04-12-2013
V.I.P.

... that's some pretty f*cked up version of the little mermaid. Sorry to put it with so much class but ... Jacob's styling is so consistently good I'm not really surprised by what he put together here, and Simon's creativity (and consistently good budget) never fails to create magic, and Tim's photography is alright too... but Kristen!... her characterization goes from cartoonish to disturbing back and forth through the pages, until it strikes you that this is sort of like Little Mermaid meets Ana Karenina's heartbreak, but without the railway and repression, it's just so out there and trapped (thanks April for the tank from me too! )... not much different than the tragedy of crazy/homeless people on the streets, who ended up there god knows why (Blue Jasmine final scene, anyone?).

It's beautiful but so intense it gives me anxiety...

V.I.P.

front row

Kristen's edit is sublime

05-12-2013
trendsetter

any review? please : )

V.I.P.

Kristen and Walker's editorial is absolute perfection and the video is stunning!

backstage pass

SPEECHLESS

I cant form the words at how much I love the Tim Walker story. Kristen is magnificent, truly a one of kind model who is just so exciting to look at in print. The styling by Jacob K and the Photography by Tim is nothing short of pure magic!

Mr. Zhivago

Kristen McMenamy by Tim Walker

The Free and the Brave
Photographed by Lorna Simpson
Cast of "12 Years a Slave"

Step and Repeat
Photographed by Michael Thompson
Styled by Edward Enninful
Models: Who cares, who can tell? They all wear MMM masks and every inch of skin is covered.

05-12-2013
backstage pass

I love it and I can't really think of any other mermaid editorial. It's not often that I see something I haven't seen before.

06-12-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
... and Tim's photography is alright too... but Kristen!...

Oh come now Mullet... Although I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees how lacking he has always been,Tim does deserve more credit than just alright for really delivering this transcendent editorial, this time. The compositions, framing, lighting and liveliness is so authentic here, and still tantalizingly surreal: I can smell the sea air, and taste the salty residue off Kristen's neck. Kristen actually reminds me more of the sinister, seductive, even tormented Sirens of Greek mythology, as well as an old Chinese folklore of a captured sea serpent that transformed into a beautiful woman and seduced her captor to his watery grave. And the movie Splash. Kristen is way too ferocious to be The Little Mermaid for me.

And Kristen... She is the timeless, fearless muse. This woman redefines supermodel and brings new life to her portraits: She is strange, odd, stately, otherworldly, primal, regal, awkward, ageless, timeless, epic and an eternally magical child. Had she been of another time and place, she would be one of the Sisters of Fate, The Lady of the Lake, Joan of Arc, Alice in Wonderland... SHe will never be the vapid consumer-brand model, like Kate Moss. The industry needs to cherish her.

Thanks tentalicious for the video post. This is a testament to just how strong this shoot is: I had suspected that there may be some photoshopping with the tank shots. But wow... it's pure photography (more or less).

Last edited by Phuel; 06-12-2013 at 11:21 AM.
07-12-2013
tfs star

Step and Repeat
Photographer: Michael Thompson
Styled by: Edward Enniful

W Digital, My Snaps

07-12-2013
backstage pass

Kristenís ed breathless

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, clooney, december or january, emma, george, magazine, summerton