How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-01-2011
V.I.P.

I dont like the cover!

12-01-2011
fashion elite

I don't mind them using lesser-known celebrities, but did they really have to give Rooney a cover so early? This movie doesn't get released until December, and I think W should at least wait to see Rooney's actual performance in the film before giving her so much attention. I would have preferred to see somebody like Helena Bonham Carter on the cover, who's actually nominated for a Golden Globe award and is way more deserving of it.

12-01-2011
trendsetter

I like it.

backstage pass

The cover literally took my breath away... But not necessarily in a good way. It was just not what i was expecting when i opened this thread.

12-01-2011
scenester

It reminds me of the covers that US Premiere (the movie mag) were doing when they were inspired, and if W is becoming a movie magazine with fashion edits on the inside to keep the ads, then it’s not a bad cover (certainly Tonchi’s best), a little bit bitchy, and a little bit conceited, but still interesting. If only they were assuming the job by getting really good movie reviewers, it could turn into something i would buy from time to time.
But for now they have a serious lack of idendity, i understand their line is « who, what, where, when, in the world of style » (what does that mean anyway ?), but it’s a big mess : to jump from a naked reality-TV celebrity, to a well known (bland) actress with her adopted child, to the coverage of the future film of a talented director…It’s like W’s team want to be ahead of the trend, but since you don’t actually understand what trend, the magazine ends up remaining a third or fourth choice.

12-01-2011
V.I.P.

HQs:

rooney-mara-w-magazine-february-2011-04.jpg rooney-mara-w-magazine-february-2011-03.jpg

justjared

goodbye kiss

I knew I had already seen her... She looks pretty different from the girl I saw on The Social Network.

Anyways I'm reposting the cover because what I see in the first post is only the shot without the text.

:wmagazine.com:

12-01-2011
V.I.P.

Oh, yes I've copied link from the site, it was cover image and now they've changed it, please mods edit first post

12-01-2011
backstage pass

I could care less if models never grace the cover of W again, but I still expect W (and any fashion magazine that is embracing the celebrity format) to maintain the general feeling of the magazine's history. "W but new" vs. "W is now another one of those magazines". W can be "W" as we've seen with the Ryan and Michelle issue, but this Rooney cover is cutting it close.

However, as disappointing as the cover is, I have to admit that W is giving us tasteful and fun pop culture covers (vs. Vogue's pathetic attempts with Britney Spears and The Spice Girls). Seeing as how every second person on the train is reading the books, it must be nice for W to be one of the first major magazines to cover the hype.

12-01-2011
clo
V.I.P.

It's nice to see Rooney Mara in character. It is a way of creating suspense about the movie but I think I would have preferred to see her looking somewhat different.

12-01-2011
don't look down

What concerns me about W is not the content, but whether the content has any practical relation to the magazine's size. Does the design make the most of the dimensions of the page? Am I getting a special experience from this publication? Why should I buy a bulky magazine? Do the features justify W staying this size? These are the things that I ask myself.

backstage pass

Another really, really bad W cover....they need the old editor back

12-01-2011
less is more

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
Kinda sucks for her that her first major cover is her character and not as herself.

Also I didn't realize the Salander character was supposed to be "sexy" flashing her boobs and whatnot.
I completely agree. I hate the way they've portrayed Lisbeth in these pictures (either this is the way Mara or Fincher has decided to take the character or she's been told to pose that way by W). She just looks like some junked up groupie not an empowered, fleshed out character whose appeal comes from her abilities and her character rather than flashing her body.

That said, I don't mind the image as a cover, but I would have rather seen Mara as an up and coming actress not a character gracing the cover. Putting a character on the cover just seems too much like a marketting ploy (and for a movie that isn't even coming out very soon).

12-01-2011
front row

Such odd covers lately that have came from W...

12-01-2011
fashion insider

The article in W is more a profile of David Fincher than anything to do with Rooney Mara but it describes how he has conceived Salander's look in great detail:

Quote:
Larsson described Salander in opposites: slender but tough, “spidery” but elegant. Fincher, who is directing the American movie version of the first book in the series, has taken that gamine, biker-chick, downtown-girl template and tweaked it. Now she’s his.

The transformation began with the hair. Mara’s long brown mane was dyed black and cut in a series of jagged points that looked as if she had chopped it herself with a dull razor. The bangs were cropped very short and uneven, and the rest of the hair was layered into an extended shag. The final result was a mash-up of brazen Seventies punk and spooky Eighties goth with a dash of S&M temptress.

That look, which could also describe Salander’s nature, was echoed in her wardrobe—a collection of ripped stockings, low garter belts, skintight leather, and heavy-soled boots. In all the angry, attractive darkness, Mara, who is 25, lithe, and petite, radiated an intriguing mix of menace and vulnerability. Fincher’s Lisbeth Salander, as channeled by Mara, is unique—a brilliant but childlike avenging angel with an understanding and an appreciation of violence. In essence, she’s a lot like her creator, David Fincher.

For The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Fincher has imagined more than the obvious—a compelling thriller about a crusading journalist and his mysterious partner, Lisbeth Salander. Instead, he wants Salander to be both subversive and a new kind of role model. Which is why he has analyzed every detail, from her earrings to her essence. Nothing with Fincher is accidental, and although he delights in being subversive and contradictory, he is deeply committed to his characters, his movies.

“Look at this,” Fincher said as he returned to the carefully placed spots of blood on Mara’s palms and wrists. The bursts of maroon were like stigmata—turning Salander into a martyr rather than a complex force. “That’s just not right,” he said flatly. “Lisbeth Salander is not about suffering! She is not Jesus! She is about vengeance!” Fincher smiled. An assistant squeezed rivulets of blood onto Mara’s hands so that it ran over her fingers. “That’s better,” Fincher said, clearly pleased. “You have to get it right. Or there’s no point at all.”
Full article

Mara wears Burberry Prorsum’s leather jacket. Tawapa earrings; on left hand, from top: Stephen Webster ring, Bijules ring, Toile des Reves ring, Stephen Webster ring; on right hand, from top: Bijules ring, Lou Zeldis ring, Stephen Webster ring.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, february, jeanbaptiste, mara, mondino, rooney