W February 2011 : Rooney Mara by Jean-Baptiste Mondino - Page 6 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
13-01-2011
tfs star

Love everything so far! This seems like a pretty nice issue.

13-01-2011
everything sucks!

Mark Ruffalo looks so uncomfortable.

13-01-2011
V.I.P.

I might get this just for the I&V editorial. Gorgeous!

13-01-2011
V.I.P.

Seeing those shots of Rooney makes me more excited to see David Fincher's version of the GWTDT. She looks great!

I also LOVE...LOVE....LOVE these shots of Helena Bonham-Carter and Elle Fanning:

Elle's ballet is really impressive!

wmagazine

13-01-2011
frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
I find this models vs. celebrities thing very boring. I honestly do not care at this point if W never features another model on the cover again, I only am concerned with whether or not they created captivating images and unique content. For me that is what makes a magazine interesting - this cover, along with the Ryan & Michelle cover from earlier in the year, represent a very positive and beautiful direction. Not the same as what were used to, but certainly beautiful and eye-catching. Compared to all the other covers this month, I think this is something different - even if you hate it there is something edgy and cool about it.
at this point, i think the model vs. celeb debate on magazine covers is dead...
it's clear that american fashion magazines are going to have more celebs than not, and if you want models, best get a subscription to vogue italia, muse, etc. because celebrity features are here to stay...

like luxx, i want to see compelling images and interesting (and fresh) content, which has always been w's strength...
imo, the ryan gosling/michelle williams cover has been tonchi's best since taking over...
i was very hopeful for this cover but i am disappointed that she is "in character," as others have said, i feel it's a tactic for entertainment weekly or premiere, not a fashion magazine...
this was a perfect opportunity to showcase an up and coming actress and talk about her, not in the context of a how a director sees her...

Love all Inez & Vinoodh did in this issue including those portraits of celebs.

14-01-2011
you set the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
Mark Ruffalo looks so uncomfortable.
Yeah, it's kind of a ridiculous image.

14-01-2011
fashion insider

Don't know who she is, but the cover isn't half bad.

I still prefer the old W, however.

15-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
Justin Timberlake is never going to convince me that he's a ~serious~ actor.
Join the club. Go back to what your good at JT.

I'm so against the re-make of TGWTDT, it's ridiculous. It's a good cover I suppose.

The "Best Performances" ed is just odd.

15-01-2011
V.I.P.

I canīt believe this is the same girl from The Social Network!
Iīd say this Lisbeth is a lot more glamorous that what Iīve envisioned while reading the books, but itīs a HW movie after all...

15-01-2011
fashion elite

I don't know if I can accept a Lisbeth Salander with dimples.

15-01-2011
front row

I think the discussion in this thread has been one of the more interesting i've read on TFS in ages. For one thing, it's all about the styling, and whether or not featuring an actress in character (although, really, that's just hair and makeup, it's not like she's not dressed in ultra mainstream brands that might be on any other magazine); for another, it has a lot of questions about the motivation behind the styling and whether or not this is a good fit for either the movie or the book, rather than one-sentence lines praising/ripping the mag for featuring x actress or y designer. That is, this is a provocative cover, and even if the reaction is negative (which it typically is no matter who is on the cover in these forums, for pretty much any magazine you read about) the fact that it made people think about what is appropriate for fashion magazines to do/cover makes me think that this cover is a huge success.

I'm surprised people are so taken aback by the image -- if it were sasha pivovarova in the photo this could easily be somewhere in an european fashion magazine. I also think this cover's outlandishness isn't really born out when you look at the clothes. It's just Burberry, after all. I think we've gotten too comfortable with beauty shots of actresses, so much so that something outside of that paradigm doesn't sit well -- well, good for W for challenging what people think of as appropriate for american fashion magazines. Someone has to push the boundaries. And it certainly won't be Vogue.

16-01-2011
tfs star

Very well said, JustABoy.

don't look down

Pushing the boundaries for an American magazine was when W featured a man wearning nothing but high heels for their October 2004 cover, so I can't say that I find this month's shot of a woman in a leather jacket to be that provocative (wmagazine.com):

fashion icon

I honestly don't care whether a cover pushes some arbitrary "boundary" or not. I would rather just see an arresting image. If I'm being honest Rooney's cover is a lot more attention-grabbing than the average Vogue cover portrait so I think W succeeded in that regard.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, february, jeanbaptiste, mara, mondino, rooney