How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-06-2012
V.I.P.

The editorial is very Avedon, both girls look great though.

16-06-2012
V.I.P.

Is that it? Once again I fell for the Meisel (and Enninful) okey-doke. I really don't mind jumping girl eds, but this one does not live up to being the main ed in W magazine where the latest in fashion is being promoted as the main story, and the two models featured are being touted as the next big thing. This is a good ed and I give it a thumbs up, but it is more suited for being the secondary ed in a celebrity fronted issue of W, Interview or US Vogue.

ETA:
Having said all that, I hope to see more collaborations between Meisel and Smalls, and Meisel and Kloss.

Last edited by agee; 16-06-2012 at 04:32 PM.
16-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
The editorial is very Avedon, both girls look great though.

Indeed it is, but I'm a sucker for these kind of eds. That picture of Karlie in white pants is pure heaven!

16-06-2012
V.I.P.

She is so beautiful. I'm not crazy about the cover...it's not bad at all though! Just so happy for her being there.

I really don't like the main editorial, though. Joan has such a strong look and I find it to be quite watered down with a main editorial like that. There are some beautiful images of Karlie there but I just wish Meisel would quit being so nostalgic with the Avedon references! I'm not saying it doesn't belong in fashion publications today but, I'm in agreement with agee in that it's not nearly relevant enough as a main story. She looks like a supermodel on the cover for sure, but in the main spread I think both girls are like caricatures of what WOULD have been in an Avedon story back in the day, which is why I really dislike it..

V.I.P.

thought it was beyonce

fashion insider

the spread is very 90's, which is totally supermodel-esque.

16-06-2012
V.I.P.

the ed is very borign! nothing unique/amazing about it!
two of the best models in the world right now n this is what Meisel can do with them.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydante View Post
the spread is very 90's, which is totally supermodel-esque.
Maybe it is supermodelesque because of the 90's references, but do you really think it works? The editorial is named Super Modern Super Models, but there is hardly any modernity here. Everything from the hair and make up, to the styling and even the photography and art direction speaks to yesteryears.

I really wish we could get past nostalgia being current and fashionable.

Last edited by Mchunu; 16-06-2012 at 06:13 PM.
16-06-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
Is that it? Once again I fell for the Meisel (and Enninful) okey-doke. I really don't mind jumping girl eds, but this one does not live up to being the main ed in W magazine where the latest in fashion is being promoted as the main story, and the two models featured are being touted as the next big thing. This is a good ed and I give it a thumbs up, but it is more suited for being the secondary ed in a celebrity fronted issue of W, Interview or US Vogue.

ETA:
Having said all that, I hope to see more collaborations between Meisel and Smalls, and Meisel and Kloss.
I feel the same way. That ultra-glamourous cover had me expecting an equally glamourous ed. There is such a disconnect. Its basic, boring, run-of-the-mill Meisel. Also, I hate the huge blonde hair on Joan. Its not a good shade on her because its too close to her skin tone, just like Tyra's imo. Karlie slays this effortlessly with her phenomenal posing but it still falls flat for me. Quite disappointed but I'm still buying this and hoping Naomi's ed can makeup for it!

you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchunu View Post
Maybe it is supermodelesque because of the 90's references, but do you really think it works? The editorial is named Super Modern Super Models, but there is hardly any modernity here. Everything from the hair and make up, to the styling and even the photography and art direction speaks to yesteryears.

I agree, it's very 90s, but in the most obvious and boring way.

The 90s editorials from W that cottonmouth13 has been posting lately look more modern and current than this editorial, tbh.

16-06-2012
backstage pass

Quote:

Show us something you consider current and I bet someone on here can match it with something from the past.

16-06-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMiss View Post
why use Joan if they make her look like Tyra Banks... they should have used Tyra instead... or make Joan, who I personally prefer, look like herself...
Agreed! She looks way too made up. Happy that she got another major cover though.

16-06-2012
V.I.P.

The cover and editorial are doing absolutely nothing for me. Even though i'm not a fan of Joan and Karlie, I expected much more from Edward and Meisel, this looks even more boring than the stuff he's doing at Vogue Italia. You take "the new faces of fashion", put them on the cover, and then come up with a predictable black&white-studio-model-jumping editorial? And with that Lion from Wizard of Oz hair? At least Karlie is bringing some sort of personality to the pics, Joan looks incredibly dull.

Sorry, I take a well done celebrity cover over this anytime.

fashion insider

Quote:

i agree; the cover is much more supermodel-esque, the editorial isn't as dope as i was expecting it to be though. definitely agree with what you're saying- very much an ode to the past instead of creating a lane of "new"

16-06-2012
When in doubt, wear red.

The cover is even better than I expected . Never thought Joan would become a Meisel muse but all their collaborations have been stellar so far. I love the 80s feeling of the hair and make-up, yet the lace and soft pose give a more subtle touch. Besides she doesn't look that much like Tyra in HQs.

As for the editorial I like it, a lot, it's indeed classic Meisel. Nobody does these studio shoots like he does and the shots are great but not that impressive.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, joan, july, karlie, kloss, meisel, smalls, steven