How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
Show us something you consider current and I bet someone on here can match it with something from the past.
I'm sure someone could, too. After all, it's just a matter of different opinions and how different styles and beauty trends re-present themselves. The thing is Meisel's work, and a lot of what we have been seeing in fashion, has felt totally out of nostalgia. It's almost starting to feel out of sheer sentimentality and a love affair with the past. I probably wouldn't have that much of a problem with it if it actually looked good-but now i'm starting to think "Man, this guy is getting old." It's like he wants it to be 1995 all over again sooo bad.

Great fashion photographs don't ignore history. Even if we aren't seeing anything groundbreaking, we still should be able to look at it anew. I don't think everything needs to be edgy and hip, but don't recycle great work (someone else's work at that) over and over again and expect the audience to be wowed. Some are even saying this is classic Meisel (i find that absurd to an extent- it's true that there's no other living photographer who does these sort of stories like he does, but this isn't the Meisel that wins me over-far from it.) I don't want to turn this in to a discussion about Meisel's 'style', but the man is a jack of all trades. This is hardly what I consider to be classic Meisel-at his best, he is a story teller, if anything and that's what I truly associate him with-telling stories, and these Avedon-esque studio shoots that can be nice every now and then that he happens to be quite good at, just gets the job done-nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydante View Post
i agree; the cover is much more supermodel-esque, the editorial isn't as dope as i was expecting it to be though. definitely agree with what you're saying- very much an ode to the past instead of creating a lane of "new"
I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but this doesn't feel like an ode or an homage of any sort to me. I think one possible way to make the main story feel that way is if they were styled to look more like themselves. It just feels out of bad taste to me and quite frankly, very camp at this point.

17-06-2012
V.I.P.

the editorial doesnt feel modern imo, and makes Karlie and Joan look like they are old school modls making a comeback r showing that they still have the modeling skills.

17-06-2012
front row

i see a lot of hairextensions......but great story!!!

17-06-2012
front row

Nothing suprising
nothing new
i wish i saw more of an afford from this team

im not liking this

17-06-2012
V.I.P.

This is very classic Meisel doing his best Avedon! Some of the poses are typical Verushka and Lauren Hutton from the 60's & 70's. Not complaining, cause I love it! The girls looks beautiful and Joan's shot with the blonde hair is very Jerry Hall.

front row

i'm not impressed by that editorial at all. i have seen every single one of those shots, multiple times, in multiple magazines. you get "the next big things" and this is what you do with them? disappointing.

17-06-2012
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
The editorial is very Avedon, both girls look great though.
Some shots reminds me of 60s Avedon, others of 70s Scavullo...it's lovely.

As for Tyra, I've always thought Karlie looks like Tyra - not Joan

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 17-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.
17-06-2012
fashion insider

Joan Smalls

fashion elite

hate the cover such a bore. lovee the movement in the editorial <3

windowshopping

Meisel seems to be stuck in an Avedon rut. His strength is the story-telling eds shot in extravagant settings. Yet, he keeps doing these bland studio eds for VI and now W. Hoprefully, the other eds will hold more promise, especially McDean's.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
Yes, but Sui's cover was a subscriber's one, and last month's cover was about Tom Cruise. Abbey and Edita were just playing adoring fans next to him. This, however, is all about Joan so that's why people are happy to see her getting a newsstand cover with no celebrities in sight or silly gimmicks (i.e. Black issue, model issue etc). It's just a model on the cover of a fashion magazine as it should be.
Exactly no gimmicks...praise Equality!!

I personally think Joan looks amazing, stunning and alluring. She's the it girl in fashion on the cover of an American fashion magazine, I am impressed and happy for her success.

18-06-2012
fashion insider

Luxe Be A Lady
PH: Emma Summerton
Model: Naomi Campbell

fashionscansremastered.net

rising star

yay!

backstage pass

naomi's looking great!

18-06-2012
Mag Master