How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-08-2004
Heated

W Magazine September 2004 : Julianne Moore by Michael Thompson

Quote:
Julianne Goes Nude for W!

August 4, 2004

Four-time Academy Award® nominee JULIANNE MOORE displays three distinct personalities in the new issue of W magazine, on New York newsstands August 6 (and nationwide August 20).

Tonight on ET, we have a sneak preview of Julianne's "triple bill," including the sensual role in which the over-40 Hollywood actress goes nude!

"We set the mood right at the outset in this gorgeous spread where she's wearing nothing but a pair of LOUIS VUITTON shoes with a little fur trim," BRIDGET FOLEY, executive editor of W, tells ET. "It's evocative, it's very sensual, there's that sort of naughty older woman element, but I think it's rendered really exquisitely."

Recruiting coveted fashion photographers MARIO SORRENTI and MICHAEL THOMPSON, along with 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' director MICHEL GONDRY, W presents Julianne in the season's most exciting clothes while playing up to her craft in a trio of "narrative fashion films." Designers participating in the portfolio include YVES SAINT LAURENT RIVE GAUCHE, FRED LEIGHTON, MARC JACOBS, GUCCI, VALENTINO and more.

In Thompson's "Dangerous," the 43-year-old actress poses nude as a seductress, luring in a young, innocent man. In Sorrenti's "The Fall," the red-headed Julianne goes blonde as a fallen heroine who struggles to reconcile passion with devotion. And in Gondry's "The Woman Who Misplaced Her Nose," Julianne taps her comic side in a comic-book style layout as a woman who, well, loses her nose!

"We wanted to take this fabulous actress and have her act for stills," says Foley. "She was so thrilled because it gave her the chance to do something that really no one has done. Certainly, actresses have been photographed ad nauseum for magazines, but never to this degree."

05-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

i like her and i like the idea...

i haven't seeen the issue yet...but i'm sure it's great...i've heard it's beautiful...

05-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 5 2004, 09:48 AM
i like her and i like the idea...

i haven't seeen the issue yet...but i'm sure it's great...i've heard it's beautiful...
[snapback]322096[/snapback]
I made a mistake of subscribing to W for a year (I figured we'd enjoy it). Worst $5 I ever spent. I want my money back.

05-08-2004
trendsetter

It looks nice, but I think she looks better as a redhead, not as a blonde.

05-08-2004
V.I.P.

I don't really see her as some kind of fashion icon or whatever, but I love most of her movies, she's a great actress.

Meg
inspired contemplation

I think the cover and pictures are beautiful but it's such a typical W cover. Anybody remember the Kate Hudson cover? It's either this sort of cover or the sort of dark/moody cover. The only cover I thought was amazing was the Gemma one.

05-08-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

it's funny to me to see w magazine continually grab at these attention grabbing spreads while never managing to get any of the fashion meat that some other publications do (seemingly) effortlessly....it's like they are trying to trick us into buying the magazine and then (haha) there's no fashion inside just filler...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 5 2004, 02:19 PM
it's funny to me to see w magazine continually grab at these attention grabbing spreads while never managing to get any of the fashion meat that some other publications do (seemingly) effortlessly....it's like they are trying to trick us into buying the magazine and then (haha) there's no fashion inside just filler...
[snapback]322289[/snapback]
exactly. you can also add vanity fair to that list.

05-08-2004

of all the commercial american publications...W is THE best...imo...with vogue very close...they are rather neck and neck...because i think W has better editorials and covers...but vogue has better articles...

i mean...do you prefer lucky or marie claire?...or nylon...YUCK!!!
the american market is pretty slim pickin's...

05-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 5 2004, 02:36 PM
of all the commercial american publications...W is THE best...imo...with vogue very close...they are rather neck and neck...because i think W has better editorials and covers...but vogue has better articles...

[snapback]322303[/snapback]
You think so? Wow, I dunno, I can never find anything in W. Their editorials are like 5 pages long, everything else is celebrity gossip. Are you sure you are not getting some kind of a special edition W

05-08-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 5 2004, 02:36 PM

[snapback]322303[/snapback]
you won't get me defending the american magazine market at all, but editorially, i think that w magazine rates one of the worst simply bc there's SO little there. the photographs are many times absolutely flawless, but there's so rarely actual fashion there. i mean i love scarlett johanasson (sp?) and i love alexandre herchovitch (sp?) so it takes quite a magazine to make that picture look repititve and boring (as it did in last month's issue).

i can't rave about us elle, vogue, or bazaar but i still find myself surprised every now and again by each of them...

but the celeb profile is not a fashion spread...W usually has 3 fashion stories a month just like every other magazine...

05-08-2004
backstage pass

Love it. Can't wait to get it. They usually have the best Sept issue. How many pages is it? I've been a subscriber of W since I was a teenager (while putting myself through school working at Bergdorf's) and now I'm in my late 30's. It was the refernce magazine back then..not Vogue. I have seen it from a spreadsheet (like a Sunday times newspaper in color) to it's now magazine format. I've always preferred following society and fashion as opposed to hollywood celebrity fashion, so W has been it for me.

I like it because it's more industry like it's sister pub WWD, not so commercial. I got tuned off to Vogue back in the 80"s because for 6 months straight you would have Brook Shields on the cover. Those of you old enough will remember. I now put Vogue in the class of "Lucky" & "Instyle" magazine It's sooooooo commercial and anyone over 18 should not be reading it

True their editorial is fluff half the time but when they do it right, D A M N! the issues are keepers. I love the photography, but hate their increased use of celebs
(Yawn). They are not a reference for me at this point.

05-08-2004
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

gr8 cover as expected. She does great cvrs

05-08-2004

she who?...the stylist?...because the actress doesn't do it...she's on it...
the photographer and stylist and hr and mk up..."do"...the work...

all julianne moore is doing is standing there...LOL...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, julianne, magazine, michael, moore, september, thompson