How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-10-2011
Mr. Zhivago

Asian AND a model on the cover of an American fashion magazine?

13-10-2011
V.I.P.

There's also second cover, don't know any details about it though.

13-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
Asian AND a model on the cover of an American fashion magazine?
Ai Wei Wei is self-referencing in terms of experiences he has likely (And unfortunately) had, so an Asian/Chinese model makes sense in this context

13-10-2011
Mr. Zhivago

Of course, it's just very surprising to see an Asian model on an American cover.

13-10-2011
V.I.P.

Sui He! Wow this amazing for her, the cover looks so interesting.

This is The Art Issue right?

tfs star

Edward Enninful is doing wonders in W Magazine!
Cover looks STUNNING & very cool! Soo good to see Sui He on the cover!

backstage pass

This is a striking cover. That this is a reference to Ai Weiwei's 1988 Tompkins Square photo series, I only hope the Chinese government will make such a distinction. Sui He is an incredibly brave woman to make the decision to be associated with the concept of this cover, editorial and even Ai Weiwei himself. This is several proud moments in one; a model, a social issue laced concept, and more importantly, an Asian woman on the cover of an American magazine.

backstage pass

Whoa!! I am really excited to see Sui He here! She looks really good and the cover is really fun and colorful. Thankfully, since it is the art issue. I hope to see orgasmic editorials.

13-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith Akiyama View Post
Ai Wei Wei is self-referencing in terms of experiences he has likely (And unfortunately) had, so an Asian/Chinese model makes sense in this context
hey Faith I am not familiar with the controversial story behind this, would you mind explaining?

13-10-2011
front row

I think the cover is fantastic. THIS is the sort of cover that makes me want to pick up a magazine and see whats inside. Bravo!

^^As crosidan mentioned, the images directly reference Ai Weiwei's own photos of the 1988 protest, but it definitely also alludes to his own negative experiences with China's government (Blacklisted, house arrests, etc.) as he is a more internationally well-known dissenter of the Communist Party.

I will also take this opportunity to note to everyone here in the thread the potentially heated political discussions/debates this thread might be headed in. So please be mindful of the forum rules - thank you!

Last edited by Faith Akiyama; 13-10-2011 at 05:45 PM.
13-10-2011
tfs star

Sui He on the cover aside (which I'm ecstatic about), I'm really interested to see the content in this issue, especially with Ai WeiWei and him directing the shoot via Skype.

This is one of the more exciting and unconventional covers in awhile and I'm glad W is pushing the envelope.

13-10-2011
MON
V.I.P.

I love it! Very intriguing and something unusual!
Posted via Mobile Device

13-10-2011
fashion icon

At the moment I have mixed feelings about this cover because it appear to portray Sui He in a distressing situation however since I understand the point the photographer/W mag/and Ai Weiwei were trying to make I'm not outraged. It at least has significance which so many other controversial covers fail to achieve. However, I think the average viewer might not get it. And I commend W for using fashion in a political way to make a statement. Ai Weiwei is truly an amazing person, I've been following his story for a while now, and I really like this collaboration between W and him. It's also really courageous of Ai to tell this story knowing the risks involved. Also, I'm guessing this issue of W won't be sold in China...

V.I.P.

Glad for Sui He. Slightly unsurprised that New York Models didn't balk at taking a good editorial opportunity for one of their models despite the controversy.

However to have a photographer as random and boring as Maz Vadukul shoot the cover of W (he's one of the last photographers who should be attempting 'art' photography) is a bit off putting IMO.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, francesco, max, minaj, nicki, november, sui, vadukul, vezzoli