How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-10-2011
V.I.P.

I don't care about that Nicki Minaj person, but I'm very happy to see Sui He on the cover. Thanks for the preview of her ed tentalicious. Can't wait to see it in HQ.

14-10-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionmypassion View Post
Niki Minaj is ridiculous!!!!
Art is more then THAT!!!
lol...um.

Anyways, I love Nicki's cover and editorial; she does quirkiness well. This looks great now and I think it'll look even better when I see it in real life.

And Sui He's editorial is more pointed than I thought...I seriously hope her agency had her best interest in mind.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Despite Government Demands, Ai Weiwei Makes Public Work for W
by sarah cascone 10/14/11
Despite the Chinese government's continued demands for his silence, Ai Weiwei is letting his art do the talking on the November cover of W, the magazine's sixth annual art issue. Detained for 81 days by the Chinese government earlier this year, Ai was released on June 22 on the condition that he no longer offer pubic comment. Though Ai has largely failed to comply with this gag order, speaking out through Twitter in August against the treatment of detained colleagues and revealing the disturbing details of his imprisonment, the set of five photos commissioned by W marks the artist's first major new work following his nearly three-month detention.

Currently under house arrest in his Beijing studio, Ai directed the New York photo shoot, led by photographer Max Vadukul, via Skype. The photo series, titled "Enforced Disappearance," was directly influenced not only by the artist's recent confinement, but by his 1980s photos of the Tomkins Square Riots. After being approached by W, which has previously worked with Maurizio Cattelan and Richard Prince, Ai explained his vision for the work and cited the Tomkins Square photos to illustrate the mood he hoped to capture on the magazine's cover.

The first of the five images features Chinese model Sui He, clad in a bright yellow Alexander Wang jacket, being dragged down the streets of Flushing's Chinatown by two ominous figures. In subsequent photos, she is handcuffed, hooded and taken to Riker's Island, where her captors watch her shower. Despite the high-fashion gloss lent to the images by Vadukul, best known for his Rolling Stone covers, they effectively serve as a chilling critique of government-sponsored abductions, arrests and imprisonments without due process of law.

It is high profile and confrontational work like this that has led to Ai topping ArtReview's recently released Power 100 list of art world figures. The magazine said that "Ai's power and influence derive from the fact that his work and his words have become catalysts for international political debates that affect every nation on the planet: freedom of expression, nationalism, economic power, the Internet, the rights of the human being."

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Liu Weimin reported to Reuters that "a selection that is based purely on a political bias and perspective has violated the objectives of the magazine," but ArtReview's editor, Mark Rappolt, disagreed. "Of course it's something about political activism that runs through the list this year, but I think it's more about expanding the concept of art that's not solely contained in the privileged space of museums and galleries. . . . It's expanding the possibilities of what you can do with art and how, as an artist, you can use your voice."

Ai has largely declined to speak with the press about this latest honor, telling the BBC that he is being "strongly restricted" and that "this kind of conversation today I am doing is a violation. I think it may bring me very big trouble." His high-profile activism on behalf of personal expression and his loudly denounced incarceration may allow Ai to wield significant cultural and political influence in the world at large, but the artist lacks the basic freedoms that most Americans take for granted. Ai's safety in China is still very much in jeopardy-it is little wonder that the artist does "not feel powerful at all."
artinamericamagazine.com

14-10-2011
V.I.P.

I actually quite like Nicki's ed. The styling is amazing, nice to see her in vintage couture other than those flamboyant outfits. The only problem for me is her face, looks like she's holding a laugh or something, little weird.

V.I.P.

Although I'm curious to see Carmen Carrera by Meisel, I am not interested or concerned about any of this.

fashion insider

what Sui He did is actually very brave, probably her career in China unfortunately will be over after this..

thanks for posting BerlinRocks!

14-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsha View Post
There's Carmen Carrera by Steven Meisel in this issue.
Wasn't she on RuPaul's Drag Race? Meisel never fails to surprise me.

tfs star

Sui He's career in China will not be jeopardized whatsoever. She'll contune to be a regular in Vogue China.

I feel as if the cover is made to be more serious and dramatic than it really is or needs to be.
Posted via Mobile Device

14-10-2011
V.I.P.

styleite.com

14-10-2011
V.I.P.

Love Sui's ed although I think she'll definitely face problems in China for it.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
Sui He's career in China will not be jeopardized whatsoever. She'll contune to be a regular in Vogue China.

I feel as if the cover is made to be more serious and dramatic than it really is or needs to be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Uh, there are people who work in the fashion industry and who post on this forum who are just as concerned. The Chinese government has a history of making people they feel are too vocal about their dissent against the government disappear for months if not permanently. This cover makes a very political, very pointed statement by an artist who has been the victim of such a forced disappearance. I don't know how you interpret this as being "made to be more serious and dramatic than it really is or needs to be" because the reality is this is an extremely sensitive issue.

fashion insider

I don't care for Nicki Minaj at all but I really like her cover+ed. It's absolutely stunning and it's better than Sui He's, imo.

When in doubt, wear red.

I don't egt why they even bothered to make this Nicki Minaj cover, Sui's is just perfect. But I do like Nicki's spread. Can't wait to put my hands on this issue.

V.I.P.

That's one, good editorial. Love the second shot. Perhaps Sui He's name would now be associated with Ai Weiwei because of this.

Carmen Carrera by Meisel? Definitely interesting and intriguing as well. This isn't the first time that he has worked with a drag, right? Good to know that after the double cross thingy with the Sept. issue, Meisel's still able to work for W.

V.I.P.

She is like the new Lil Kim isn't she?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, francesco, max, minaj, nicki, november, sui, vadukul, vezzoli