How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-10-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosidan View Post
Uh, there are people who work in the fashion industry and who post on this forum who are just as concerned. The Chinese government has a history of making people they feel are too vocal about their dissent against the government disappear for months if not permanently. This cover makes a very political, very pointed statement by an artist who has been the victim of such a forced disappearance. I don't know how you interpret this as being "made to be more serious and dramatic than it really is or needs to be" because the reality is this is an extremely sensitive issue.
Saying this is the end of a model's career? Pretty dramatic to me. That's what I was referring to. I don't think Sui He's agent is stupid enough to jeopardize her future with a controversial cover if they didn't know what they were doing, especially with her career on the rise.

And I'm pretty aware and informed about the Chinese government, being Chinese and born in China myself. I guess I have a different perspective.

Last edited by Ives927; 14-10-2011 at 06:33 PM.

14-10-2011
rising star

I guess I'm slow because I'm not catching on to the "controversy" surrounding Sui's cover. Is it because it looks like she's being kidnapped?

14-10-2011
front row

nicki's edit...great concept, great clothes..but her absurd facial expressions ruin all of the shots! i swear she always has the stupidest looks on her face! and i kinda dont like that they gave her a cover. its like they went all out, made a great statement with the sui he cover but then got scared and gave nicki a safer cover just in case.

15-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceMajor View Post
She is like the new Lil Kim isn't she?
Sui He? Totally

15-10-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fee de foret View Post
nicki's edit...great concept, great clothes..but her absurd facial expressions ruin all of the shots! i swear she always has the stupidest looks on her face! and i kinda dont like that they gave her a cover. its like they went all out, made a great statement with the sui he cover but then got scared and gave nicki a safer cover just in case.
agree completely. i liked the idea of nicki's cover until i saw the editorial and she just looks..ridiculous

anyway Sui's is beyond amazing. how long has it been since an Asian Model was on a major american fashion cover..? if ever?

trendsetter

sometimes i get the feeling that people just want to see the same old thing, the same facial expressions, the same look, etc. I really like Nicki's editorial, it's different, quite intriguing and overall...it's nice

front row

they've really upped their game there at W!I was so disappointed with Tonchi's direction for about a year but there came this year's September issue and...BOOM!The magazine's being perfect these days!Really excited about Madonna's feature(probably about "W.E")

15-10-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
Saying this is the end of a model's career? Pretty dramatic to me. That's what I was referring to. I don't think Sui He's agent is stupid enough to jeopardize her future with a controversial cover if they didn't know what they were doing, especially with her career on the rise.

And I'm pretty aware and informed about the Chinese government, being Chinese and born in China myself. I guess I have a different perspective.
i said that only in China her career might be over because of this.. and i don't think her agent would be stupid if he'd sacrafice that to favor her career internationally and make her more known in the US and Europe because of the eventual controversy, that would be pretty clever and bold imo..
i just hope that Sui He's personal life won't be affected by a work decision

15-10-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanXII View Post
I guess I'm slow because I'm not catching on to the "controversy" surrounding Sui's cover. Is it because it looks like she's being kidnapped?
i would explain it to you myself but i think is already well detailed in the post #78, in the previous page

15-10-2011
rising star

Quote:
i would explain it to you myself but i think is already well detailed in the post #78, in the previous page
Oh I see now. I was tired when I read the thread yesterday so I didn't full grasp why her cover was so touchy. But I now I understand; hopefully her career in China will be unaffected.

15-10-2011
you set the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosidan View Post
This is several proud moments in one; a model, a social issue laced concept, and more importantly, an Asian woman on the cover of an American magazine.
You said it. This is big IMO, a stand-out moment; it's good to see these elements in fashion because makes the whole industry seem that little bit more real and multidimensional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottefromCA View Post
nicki minaj cover. not necessary.
True I guess (or hope) they only did it so that they could get this issue to sell even in sensitive markets?... I actually really like Nicki's editorial though!

15-10-2011
backstage pass

I absolutely love Sui He and Nicki Minaj, I absolutely love both covers, and I absolutely loved the artists involved with both covers. So I really have no clue which one to get.

And to people saying that Nicki's cover is "not art" or w/e are you really qualified to say what is art or not?

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonmouth13 View Post
That's one, good editorial. Love the second shot. Perhaps Sui He's name would now be associated with Ai Weiwei because of this.
I sincerely hope not.

V.I.P.

^Of course I was just sharing a sudden thought of mine.

16-10-2011
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelton123 View Post
And to people saying that Nicki's cover is "not art" or w/e are you really qualified to say what is art or not?
Well, I think this topic comes up with every art issue, as well as the debate about whether the commercial aspect of fashion imagery cancels out the finer side.

In this instance, personally I wouldn't elevate the end result to 'art', but the editorial plays around with artistic convention, so for me, it's perfectly in keeping with the theme of the issue. I'm fine with it.

Despite loving them deeply, there's a part of me that thinks hardly anything in magazines could be described as art, I'm always too aware of the commercial (and time) restraints that go into the making of these things. But that's a personal filter, everyone should be free to consider their own reaction.
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, francesco, max, minaj, nicki, november, sui, vadukul, vezzoli