How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-10-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
I don't understand, what does that have to do with anything? Knightley is on the cover to promote Anna Karenina and Johansson, Hitchcock. It has nothing to do with Johansson's success with The Avengers or Knightley's film which isn't even out in the States yet, but they chose these four to represent young actresses in Hollywood. Mara and Wasikowska aren't promoting films but maybe Wasikowska's cover was originally for Stoker which initially had a 2012 release. Just look at how promising her upcoming projects are and the fantastic performances she has given in the past and you'll see why she has the cover. She is actually the best actress out of all of them.
1. I said that Mia did not have a big film in 2011 and the others did (Dragon, Dangerous Method, The Avengers). Sorry. By box office and awards show attention, I still think that's true. Whether you think this matters towards deserving a cover is not relevant to my own opinion, which is that she seems the "odd one out". Which I still think is true.

2. Personally, I do not think Mia's nearly as a big of a star as the other 3. This is a personal opinion, but I obviously hold it because of Point #1, their careers, and for Rooney, recent award recognition and blockbuster hits.

3. I know that Mia is a good actor; I've been following her career closely since In Treatment. Whether she is the best actress out of all of them is a matter of opinion, and if "best actresses" always got magazine covers then we'd see way more of Meryl Streep's face on every newsstand. Or insert your favourite non-glamourous, young actress here. I actually like Scarlett but if you think this was based on acting talent then do you really think Scarlett would be there? So then, not sure her being "the best actress out of all of them" is any more a relevant criteria to getting a magazine cover than my own.

4. Everyone's going to have a different personal opinion on who should be on the cover of a magazine. I would not have picked Mia. I would also not have picked only white actresses. It's subjective. Nobody "deserves" a cover over another, and I think it's okay that I personally have the opinion that she's the "odd one out".

Last edited by mint condish; 17-10-2012 at 06:35 PM.

17-10-2012
fashion elite

You say that it's not about promoting upcoming films, but then you say that Mia gives fantastic performances and has upcoming projects. And that she's the "best actress out of all of them". So I guess, I'm not even sure what you're arguing.

I have my own critieria for who I'd put on the cover and you have yours. So what?

18-10-2012
backstage pass

And even with all that back and forth over Mia she has the best transformation and cover along Kiera...

18-10-2012
you soft and only

I saw this image of Anjelica Huston (Vogue Italia March 1973) posted today and instantly thought of Rooney's cover:

ciaovogue

18-10-2012
fashion elite

Mia reminds me of Emily Blunt in her shot; I didn't recognize her.

Keira's styling doesn't necessarily read 2000s to me. Maybe 80's. The eyebrows could be Brooke Shieldish and the platinum blonde Bridgette Niesenish.

18-10-2012
clever ain't wise

As far as decades go:

1960s: Keira as Wilhelmina Cooper
1970s: Rooney as Anjelica Huston's Dior ads
1980s: Scarless as Debbie Harry
1990s: Mia as ?

19-10-2012
V.I.P.

^ Keira's cover is supposed to personify the 2000s, not the 1960s.

19-10-2012
V.I.P.

^And Mia is the '80s. Scarlett is the '90s. Mia is punk. Scarlett is grunge/goth. I still have no idea what they were going for Keira.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint condish View Post
1. I said that Mia did not have a big film in 2011 and the others did (Dragon, Dangerous Method, The Avengers). Sorry. By box office and awards show attention, I still think that's true. Whether you think this matters towards deserving a cover is not relevant to my own opinion, which is that she seems the "odd one out". Which I still think is true.

2. Personally, I do not think Mia's nearly as a big of a star as the other 3. This is a personal opinion, but I obviously hold it because of Point #1, their careers, and for Rooney, recent award recognition and blockbuster hits.

3. I know that Mia is a good actor; I've been following her career closely since In Treatment. Whether she is the best actress out of all of them is a matter of opinion, and if "best actresses" always got magazine covers then we'd see way more of Meryl Streep's face on every newsstand. Or insert your favourite non-glamourous, young actress here. I actually like Scarlett but if you think this was based on acting talent then do you really think Scarlett would be there? So then, not sure her being "the best actress out of all of them" is any more a relevant criteria to getting a magazine cover than my own.

4. Everyone's going to have a different personal opinion on who should be on the cover of a magazine. I would not have picked Mia. I would also not have picked only white actresses. It's subjective. Nobody "deserves" a cover over another, and I think it's okay that I personally have the opinion that she's the "odd one out".
Of course it's your opinion, I wasn't trying to undermine that. But A Dangerous Method? I thought you were talking about Anna Karenina. While A Dangerous Method was liked by critics, it was neither a box office hit or an award winner.

Last edited by LolaSvelt; 19-10-2012 at 12:05 PM.
19-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
^And Mia is the '80s. Scarlett is the '90s. Mia is punk. Scarlett is grunge/goth. I still have no idea what they were going for Keira.
Minimalism, probably?

19-10-2012
V.I.P.

^And androgyny perhaps?

19-10-2012
fashion elite

I was under the impression that Keira was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for A Dangerous Method, but I was wrong.

It did get these accolades instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dange...thod#Accolades
which obviously aren't as big of a deal as the Oscars, but I had that impression about this movie for some reason.

Last edited by mint condish; 19-10-2012 at 07:06 PM.
19-10-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
The Original
Photographer: Tim Walker
Stylist: Diane Solway
Subjects: Anna Piaggi, Lynn Yaeger, Michelle Harper, Amanda and Talluah Harlect, Peter II and Harry Brant, Lady Birgit Lee, Anna Dello Russo, Vika Gazinskaya, Annabelle Neilson, and Catherine Baba.

Quote:
Unpublished
Features unreleased work by photographers Michael Thompson, Emma Summerton, Nick Knight, Juergen Teller, Paolo Roversi, Mario Sorrenti, Deborah Turberville, Steven Klein, Tim Walker, Craig McDean, Steven Meisel, Sølve Sundsbø, Alex Prager, Patrick Demarchelier, and Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin.

snapped by me

19-10-2012
front row

Wow it all looks beautiful!

20-10-2012
fashion elite

Maybe 2000s fashion is luxury and sophistication?

27-10-2012
Mr. Zhivago

Got this today, Keira cover, I assume that is the main cover for everyone. A very smooth, matte paper is used. The cover folds out to Scarlett and Mia's, then there is a Chanel ad, after which Rooney's cover has its own page. The content looks like articles with a lot of photos and collages - said photos mostly of the famous and their parties.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, keira, klein, mia, november, rooney, scarlett, steven