How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-09-2006
V.I.P.

The cover is horrible but I do like the editorial

08-09-2006
don't look down

The same images - the cover and the four editorial shots - are now up at www.style.com/w as the current slideshow. Sharper resolution does not improve them...

08-09-2006
Reinventing myself...

It's such a shame. I was really looking forward to the next issue of the magazine. August and September were just amazing and I keep going back to them for inspiration. But this is unbelieveable. If I were Janet and saw that cover I would be devestated!!!

don't look down

I know, I'm still kicking myself that I never bought a second copy of the August issue, because I wanted one to rip apart, to put some of the pics up on my wall. So I'm hoping that despite the hideousness, the October issue will yield up some wallpaper for me... I second a call for a lengthy Cavalli ad series.

08-09-2006
trendsetter

The other pictures aren't as bad as the cover... but boy is that cover just... wrong

08-09-2006
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Heres a more clear version from www.janetonline.de
I agree that theres something odd about her posture but the colours are nice theres a 90s vibe to it. The ed ont he other hand is very edgy and different, and that Me likes!

*** Links not working ***

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 09-09-2006 at 03:25 PM.
08-09-2006
rising star

That cover is terrible, i thought they were going to use models again, did they give up so soon?

08-09-2006
V.I.P.

This is not the first time that W makes a fool of itself.
That makeup is too harsh for Janet, they should have done her settings, styling more natural. her chin looks out of proportion.

08-09-2006
boop

The cover is too harsh but I don't mind that its Janet on the cover. As far as I'm concerned she is a pop music icon, yeah her last album wasn't so great but the woman is an excellent live performer and has been in show business forever. This is a bit like when I see a Madonna cover. Yeah its a celeb cover but its Madonna. Can't complain too much. Apart from the scandal a couple years ago she isn't out pimping herself around and lives very quietly until its time to promote an album. The woman was secretly married for a decade and no one knew! That's what I call keeping a low profile! I love that she never apologized for that whole mess, unlike lesser popstars...

I find her presence on fashion magazines to be less of an annoyance to me since I think she has earned her place and has a certain degree of lasting power. Whereas seeing people like Jessica Simpson on the cover of my W irks me to no end. I expected / had heard that Janet was going to do a cover blitz for this new album so the W cover isn't that surprising. Ideally I'd prefer a model cover of course but when a celebrity isn't an annoyance to me I don't mind it so much.

I also feel like Janet isn't afraid to be in an odd photo. Too many stars only allow ugly glamour shots of themselves to reach the public. Its always the same smiling headshot garbage and that pisses me off. I respect that she has chosen to avoid that route.

That said I agree that this cover is slightly deranged.. When Janet gets into fighting shape she already can look quite harsh so I don't think its the most flattering picture. The edit is much better looking, I like the photo of her in the hooded Dior piece. This isn't as nice as her Harpers Bazaar edit from a few years ago though.00

I hate the whole "is it too late to save her career" angle though. If Mariah Carey can get sent to the madhouse and come back to have the biggest selling album of last year then is anyone really truly over?

What else is in this issue? I look forward to seeing it. W is one of the only consistently good American fashion magazines.

08-09-2006
windowshopping

^^^Nice constructive read Luxx. I agree with you.

Not my favorite cover, but it isn't as dramatic as people seem to be making it. Seems to me like it was intended to look awkward. I like the photo of her swinging her hair and also think the one with the hood is nice.

Plus, because Janet seems to be a fairly private person, I don't feel she's really overexposed (in a public appearance sort of way).

08-09-2006
front row

I hate it. I usually skip celebrity articles and things though, I just don't care that much what Janet or Jessica or Kirsten or Britney or Paris think about life.

09-09-2006
backstage pass

She looks like LaToya on the cover.

09-09-2006
V.I.P.

omg, that cover is just bad. she doesn't even look like a woman here....how could they do this to her??

09-09-2006
polka polka polka . dot

It appears W has redeemed itself. Slightly, at least, since the cover still makes me cringe.

Czech Mat (?)
photographed by Michael Thompson + styled by Karl Templer
Freja Beha Erichsen, Irina Lazareanu, Sasha Pivovarova & unknowns

img / posted by staticglamour, Alien Sex Friend & Ieva in the models' threads

09-09-2006

^The male models is Danish sensation Eddie Klint

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2006, jackson, janet, michael, october, thompson