How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-08-2012
backstage pass

I love the cover and Ophelie is just

17-08-2012
V.I.P.

No offense to Penélope, she looks lovely, but how can you run her cover when you have an issue that is jam packed with some of the most brilliant editorials of the year?

trendsetter

Such a good issue, does anyone know when it will be out in the UK?

17-08-2012
V.I.P.

"Spell Bound"
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Styling: Edward Enningful
Models: Anniek Kortleve, Hanne Gaby, Ethan James, Mae Lepres, Meghan Collison, Peyton Knight, Yuri Pleskun, Aaron Vernon, and Rachel Trachenburg.

glossynewsstand.tumblr.com

V.I.P.

"Strike it Rich"
Photographer: Santiago & Mauricio
Styling: Felicia Garcia-Rivera
Model: Eniko Mihalik

glossynewsstand.tumblr.com

V.I.P.

this is epic. Loving everything so far but Klein's ed is my favorite, closely followed by Meisel's one.

V.I.P.

Penelope's ed looks like it does not belong among such stellar content, its almost Allure level in comparison to all those magnificent editorials, if the cover story was better, this would have been one of the best well rounded issues in a long long while.

17-08-2012
fashion icon

^ I actually like that Penelope's ed is simple in comparison to the others. I feel like it balances out the issue. My favorite is Meisel's editorial. I look at it and wonder how they did it. Each shot looks like a still from a movie.

17-08-2012
V.I.P.

Aside from Linda's presence in the issue, I'm underwhelmed, as I have been with W for a while. Penelope's edit is such a dissapointment. Even Mert & Marcus' edit with Saskia and Meghan is unappealing, except for the shot of Saskia in the Marc Jacobs coat. And I haven't even bothered to enlarge Meisel's.

V.I.P.

^ I'm with you. Just going by the cover this looked like it could be a surprisingly well-crafted issue of W and instead I feel like I'm looking at some kind of Universal Studios souvenir book with all of their productions and characters, with the exception of Strike It Rich, that's a complete filler. So uninterested in pompous productions with either great clothes you cannot see or s*it clothes styled to make them look extraordinary.

fashion elite

Meisel is nuts!
I think I´ll have nightmares. That is pretty strong...
This issue is iconic! Its even better (content-wise) than last March.
Every single editorial is breathtaking and conpeting with the bigest issue from US Vogue, W by far went for quality and all of those editorials is fantastic.
Even models that I dont like, like Saskia look great in it.
I wouldnt mind to see Kristen by Walker on the cover but I understand that none of those 2 names wold sell. I dont mind Penelope, its my 2nd favourite celebrity cover this year.

17-08-2012
V.I.P.

I just still couldn't believe that Spellbound was shot by Meisel. It's just really different from what he usually does.

rising star

wouldn't have called it Spellbound but rather Pan's Labyrinth bound, nevertheless one of the great eds of the month!

18-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
^ I'm with you. Just going by the cover this looked like it could be a surprisingly well-crafted issue of W and instead I feel like I'm looking at some kind of Universal Studios souvenir book with all of their productions and characters, with the exception of Strike It Rich, that's a complete filler. So uninterested in pompous productions with either great clothes you cannot see or s*it clothes styled to make them look extraordinary.
I completely agree! This issue is such a letdown, it all sounded so good from the review and usually W has great March and September issues (March 2012 is probably my favorite issue of any magazine ever) but everything looks so forced and over-the-top and I'm not impressed with any of it.
I actually really dislike Linda's editorial. I'm not sure if it's the styling or just the tacky editing but I don't even feel like I'm looking at a fashion editorial there and Linda looks so plastic I couldn't care less it's an icon modeling in those shots. The Meisel story indeed looks more like a set of promo postcards for a fantasy movie, so over-styled and over-produced and the model cast is so random, too. The only editorial I find interesting is the Tim Walker one. The locations and the styling are amazing in that one, and of course Kristen is great, but as a story it still kind of doesn't work for me. I definitely expected more from this issue

18-08-2012
tfs star

Well if you guys don't like this issue you will not find anything better. Vogue Paris will probably bomb as usual, Vogue Italia's only redeeming feature will be the main ed (if it's shot outside of the stuido) and all the other September issues will be simply too ordinary to bother. That's just my opinion.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, alas, cruz, marcus, mert, penelope, piggott, september