How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-03-2011
V.I.P.

The Wall Street Journal Magazine April 2011 : Anna Wintour by Mario Testino

I thought it may interest some of the members. If mods decide they can remove/replace thread.

fashionista

21-03-2011
V.I.P.

It certainly is, wow, interesting to see her on the cover, surprised she took the time to pose for them. Testino shot the cover btw. I like the image.

Thanks for posting.

21-03-2011
V.I.P.

Certainly interested with this, rather than when Anna covered Industrie. I'm almost reminded of the Queens head - what you see on British coins.

V.I.P.

She is wearing Prada.

21-03-2011
███████████████

The shot is great loveee very good work of Mario Testino

21-03-2011
The future is stupid

source | ap.org

Quote:
WSJ. profile: The power of Anna Wintour

By SAMANTHA CRITCHELL, AP Fashion Writer Samantha Critchell, Ap Fashion Writer

NEW YORK – In fashion circles and beyond — in the worlds of business, politics and entertainment — she's just Anna, a worthy peer to Oprah and Martha.
And even though Anna Wintour's name might not be as instantly recognizable as Oprah Winfrey's or Martha Stewart's, Anna, American Vogue's editor-in-chief, might still be influencing unsuspecting consumers about what they wear, how they shop and what celebrity or cause is about to be the talk of the town.
That's why WSJ., the glossy lifestyle magazine published by The Wall Street Journal, is featuring her on its cover with an article exploring her power and influence in the fashion industry beyond the pages of her magazine.
"She's a really powerful figure in America ... someone whose power extends beyond what she does," says Deborah Needleman, editor of WSJ., which scored the rare profile of Wintour — and posed cover photograph — for its April issue.
Despite her image as an ice queen, those who know her say she can be loyal and even warm to those in her inner circle, which reads like a Who's Who list: Karl Lagerfeld, Marc Jacobs, Oscar de la Renta, Harvey Weinstein, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Nicole Kidman, Roger Federer and Amar'e Stoudemire, among them.
The cover photo was shot by Mario Testino, another Team Anna player.
Friends and others who dreams of falling in that group don't dare say no to her, according to the article, which quotes Jacobs as saying: "If I get a request for something, there aren't two possible answers. First I get an email, then a phone call from someone at Vogue, and now I don't even bother to say no — I know the next call is from her."
Jacobs is one of those who benefitted from Wintour's influence. She suggested Jacobs' name to LVMH CEO Bernard Arnault when he was looking for a designer to take over Louis Vuitton in 1997.
Needleman says "it's hard to imagine that Arnault wouldn't ask her for advice for something like Dior," referring to the future of the Christian Dior brand following the firing of designer John Galliano for his anti-Semitic outbursts. Dior is owned by LVMH; Galliano had gotten his position with Wintour's help.
"You have to wonder, how does one person have such a broad influence?" says Needleman, adding: "She's basically a global brand."
Her biggest feat yet might be the shopping phenomenon that is Fashion's Night Out, a huge-scale retail event she masterminded in 2009 in New York and made bigger last year to span the globe. She persuaded stores to host lavish parties mixing celebrities and shoppers, offer discounts and pour free champagne, then she nudged consumers to open their wallets despite the recession.
"She basically created a holiday from scratch," Needleman says. "Who else has the power to take New York and create a holiday?"

21-03-2011
trendsetter

I'm into it. It's exactly how Anna should be portrayed on a cover, and it's the appropriate publication.

21-03-2011
tfs star

materialisticboy.wordpress.com

21-03-2011
windowshopping

The devil wears Chanel! Hahahaha I loved the sunglasses. Classic!

21-03-2011
trendsetter

I will certainly have to buy this. She's always been one of the most interesting public figures in my eyes.

V.I.P.

wow, this is really good, nice Anna!

V.I.P.

Perfectly good. Love it! Such an iconic shot.

fashion elite

love it!

MON
V.I.P.

Gorgeous! How Iconic can this shot get. The Devil Wears Prada. Well that`s Prada right?

fashion icon

Great shot, really shows off the bob. I've always imagined what it must be like to cut this woman's hair. What if you sneeze and chop an extra inch off by accident. Fired? Dead? What would happen to you? Anyways, it's a great cover.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, anna, april, journal, magazine, mario, street, testino, wall, wintour