How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-10-2007
The future is stupid

Launch Issue of Vogue Nippon
September 1999
Models: Kate Moss & Miki
Hair: Sam McKnight
Makeup: Pat McGrath
Photographer: Craig McDean

source | scanned by MMA

28-10-2007
A Belated Celebration

^ 'A new history has started from here' - it's such an impressive slogan.
Thanks for the scan, MMA.

28-10-2007
V.I.P.

I am telling you right now Japanese people like tosee japanese models on the covers but vogue nippon isnt a huge concern because it isn't maisntream magazine anyways

28-10-2007
V.I.P.

Japan don't have a few hight fashion malemodels

29-10-2007
V.I.P.

A lot of Asian people are fasicintated with causcasian (sp?) people because they are so different to how they look...thats my only answer :unsureL

29-10-2007
don't look down

For me, Vogue Nippon's insistence on the use of Western models is the editor's decision in order to distinguish it from most of the other magazines available on the Japanese newsstand. The big names in fashion tend to be white Westerners, and Vogue Nippon has to use them, to fulfil its selling point as an elite magazine.

And then there's the other side - how much of the model choice is designed to reflect the audience's taste? In general I don't see many black models used in Asian magazines either. Let's run with the theory for the sake of example - let's say Asian audiences aren't interested in black models - if that were true, then any editor would have an uphill battle trying to change their audience's preference.

So sometimes the conspiracy doesn't start with the magazine; sometimes they're only responding to what's already 'out there' in terms of taste.

29-10-2007
fashion insider

Yeah, but then who's to say the public's taste isn't shaped in large part by the perpetual images they encounter through the media? It's like a big cycle where everyone can shift blame to some other facet of the business. Maybe Asian people would be more responsive to other models if they were used more in their magazines. Maybe the magazines would put more other races in if they thought people responded better. Maybe the runways would be more diverse if the magazine editors were. And on and on. Someone has to make the first step!

29-10-2007
loaded and locked

Here`s the deal;
I know many people might have a heart attack after hearing this because many worship Japan and the Japanese for their fashion savvy, but I`ll say it anyway: 90% of the people of nippon wouldn`t know fashion if it were thrown in their donburi bowls.

What is the highest-grossing women`s magazine here? Its a mag masquerading as fashion when it is really a CATALOGUE. A catalogue of some of the most dry, horrible, sheep baahbaah lets look like everyone else dribble you will see. It seems really interesting at first, until you get to the next month; seen one seen em all. The models in these mags (JJ, Can-Cam, Ane-Cam, ViVi) are ALL asian, but most are mixed heritage. And they are super-icons. Not many people actually know who Kate Moss is. But they know Ebihara, Moe, and Yu Yamada. They are exclusive to their magazines, and they are sold as actresses, designers, singers, artists....

Nippon Vogue doesn`t sell THAT well. Neither does Marie Claire. Definitely not Elle. You can bet Numero Tokyo struggles. So-en probably does OK, although probably because they force all the students in their fashion school and sister-schools to buy subscriptions.

Fashion in Japan is very categorized, and there is a magazine for every subculture in fashion, and for every age, in increments of about 5 years and from every publishing company. It seems like every month there is a new "fashion" mag. There was a reception for one on friday!

Point is, Vogue Nippon, L`Official, High Fashion, Harpers Bazaar etc etc represent a certain niche; high-end western fashion. It would be ridiculous to put a bunch of asian models on the covers; it eradicates a semblance of what the mag is trying to sell. If they want Asian models, they can pick up a Voce etc- Japanese celebrity women usually get those covers...AND they still wear LV, Hermes etc...

My favorite mags here are Studio Voice, High Fashion, Vogue Nippon, Madame Figaro and ryuko tsushin....

so thats my story and Im sticking to it...

Last edited by mishahoi; 29-10-2007 at 05:40 AM.
29-10-2007
don't look down

I suspect each country's view of other races is an attitude that's been entrenched for a long time and which will continue to be so, regardless of who or what fashion magazines feature on their cover. And in some cases, it'll take more than a printed picture of a pretty girl to overcome some historical antipathies. I wonder how many Japanese models are going to be on the cover of Vogue China? Has there been progress within Asia, when it comes to that sort of racial stereotype closer to home? Are fashion magazine covers really going to change those types of deeply-held attitudes?

Overall, I'm not perturbed by the idea that fashion magazines are non-representative - because that's what fashion is. It's elitist and exclusive. It would be nice to see some more variety, that's for sure. But I'm a westerner - and I don't look anything like western top models. I'm sure there's a conspiracy in there somewhere.

29-10-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishahoi View Post
Here`s the deal;
I know many people might have a heart attack after hearing this because many worship Japan and the Japanese for their fashion savvy, but I`ll say it anyway: 90% of the people of nippon wouldn`t know fashion if it were thrown in their donburi bowls.

What is the highest-grossing women`s magazine here? Its a mag masquerading as fashion when it is really a CATALOGUE. A catalogue of some of the most dry, horrible, sheep baahbaah lets look like everyone else dribble you will see. It seems really interesting at first, until you get to the next month; seen one seen em all. The models in these mags (JJ, Can-Cam, Ane-Cam, ViVi) are ALL asian, but most are mixed heritage. And they are super-icons. Not many people actually know who Kate Moss is. But they know Ebihara, Moe, and Yu Yamada. They are exclusive to their magazines, and they are sold as actresses, designers, singers, artists....

Nippon Vogue doesn`t sell THAT well. Neither does Marie Claire. Definitely not Elle. You can bet Numero Tokyo struggles. So-en probably does OK, although probably because they force all the students in their fashion school and sister-schools to buy subscriptions.

Fashion in Japan is very categorized, and there is a magazine for every subculture in fashion, and for every age, in increments of about 5 years and from every publishing company. It seems like every month there is a new "fashion" mag. There was a reception for one on friday!

Point is, Vogue Nippon, L`Official, High Fashion, Harpers Bazaar etc etc represent a certain niche; high-end western fashion. It would be ridiculous to put a bunch of asian models on the covers; it eradicates a semblance of what the mag is trying to sell. If they want Asian models, they can pick up a Voce etc- Japanese celebrity women usually get those covers...AND they still wear LV, Hermes etc...

My favorite mags here are Studio Voice, High Fashion, Vogue Nippon, Madame Figaro and ryuko tsushin....

so thats my story and Im sticking to it...
Wow Thanks so much, you provided a great insight into this topic. Are you Japanese yourself by any chance? To be honest, most of my impression from Japanese consumers comes from the sights of those good-looking label-hungry affluent crowds of tourists in places like NY, Paris and Waikiki. I mean, when you see a 20-something with 40 pounds of Marc Jacobs, Hermes and LV in their hands, you assume they must be really into fashion. Like, not just in terms of spending, but also in terms of knowledge, brand awareness, haritage and "star buyers". I can't imagine somebody spending so much in Burberry or Calvin Klein who's never heard of Kate Moss. So why do you think this obsession with Western luxury goods exist? Is it because of constant exposure in celebrity magazines or just because everyone else has them and nobody wants to feel left out? So I'm guessing Vogue Nippon is not quite the same as Vogue US, like people look to it for a Western perspective, like news and trends while buying home-grown editions with Asian faces for kindof "lifestyle"?

29-10-2007
front row

^^Good insight.

I also feel that the models in heavy rotation in Nippon Vogue are those that are cutesy in a curious girly anime sailor moon way... how many times have we seen lily d, sasha, stam, gemma.

30-10-2007
假装不正经

i'm not sure what the situation is like in Japan (but i guess similar), but i can tell you that here in China, most girls/ppl buy "fashion" mags just to learn how to dress themselves and to catch up with what's hot/in these days and to see what the celebs are having.
And the concept of "model" is quite different here, you open up those JJ, Can-Cam, Ane-Cam, ViVi etc mags(the ones mishahoi has mentioned in her post, they have their Chinese version here also), instead of fashion models, you see cute faces(most of the time bi-racial) and lovely-but-always-the-same smiles telling you the "must haves" this season. i'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just, the majority doesn't care about fashion, really.

V.I.P.

Quote:
I mean, when you see a 20-something with 40 pounds of Marc Jacobs, Hermes and LV in their hands, you assume they must be really into fashion. Like, not just in terms of spending, but also in terms of knowledge, brand awareness, haritage and "star buyers". I can't imagine somebody spending so much in Burberry or Calvin Klein who's never heard of Kate Moss.
Er...I think the Japanese are more into following the big labels such as Chanel and Dior instead of having a unique 'look'. Same goes for HK.

Of course, anyone can negate that opinion.

But satisfaction brought it back
30-10-2007

This is very much the same idea as the big-eyed, long-legged look that's almost always featured in anime and manga, really I actually think Asians in general are extremely ethnocentric -- we are beyond proud of our people, our race, our history, our accomplishments, etc. However, there is always a consistent, strong appreciation for beauty, especially in varied forms. Perhaps Caucasian looks satisfy an eastern taste for the atypical, it's just expressed much more vividly -- quite romanticized -- than the vice versa case (Westerners regarding eastern culture as exotic beauty). At least, that is how I often feel

anime.gen.tr

Last edited by Faith Akiyama; 30-10-2007 at 02:15 AM.
30-10-2007
loaded and locked

not Japanese....been here about 5 years been in the industry for three, so I suppose I`m like an outsider looking out looking in

In general, Id say that that the majority of Japanese women (AND men) dress far better than their (say,) American counterparts. However, they dress that way because that is how they are told to dress... by magazines, tv shows, the staff at stores...

Did you know that people go to stylist schools to become staff at boutiques?? Its almost a requisite here..... the top designers hire from places like the Yale of Japan. When a customer comes in, it is not usually themselves, but the SA who chooses the outfit...(and the belt, and the shoes, and the other accessories...)

Because of the nature of my work, when I would go out shopping with a friend, he/she will pick something off the rack and say`I like this, but how do you suggest I wear it?`...as if I am supposed to tell them to wear it with something slim and nothing else.

Good for work, bad for imagination.

..and I`m, off on a OT tangent.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanka View Post
Wow Thanks so much, you provided a great insight into this topic. Are you Japanese yourself by any chance? To be honest, most of my impression from Japanese consumers comes from the sights of those good-looking label-hungry affluent crowds of tourists in places like NY, Paris and Waikiki. I mean, when you see a 20-something with 40 pounds of Marc Jacobs, Hermes and LV in their hands, you assume they must be really into fashion. Like, not just in terms of spending, but also in terms of knowledge, brand awareness, haritage and "star buyers". I can't imagine somebody spending so much in Burberry or Calvin Klein who's never heard of Kate Moss. So why do you think this obsession with Western luxury goods exist? Is it because of constant exposure in celebrity magazines or just because everyone else has them and nobody wants to feel left out? So I'm guessing Vogue Nippon is not quite the same as Vogue US, like people look to it for a Western perspective, like news and trends while buying home-grown editions with Asian faces for kindof "lifestyle"?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asian, feature, models, vogue