How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-10-2007
tfs star

Very interesting comments on this thread.I had always the same question in my mind as the OP's.
While I do understand why the lack of Japanese models on Vogue or Numero I can't help but feel frustrated and bored by the constant presence of "western" faces on these magazines.

30-10-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by min-SH View Post
i'm not sure what the situation is like in Japan (but i guess similar), but i can tell you that here in China, most girls/ppl buy "fashion" mags just to learn how to dress themselves and to catch up with what's hot/in these days and to see what the celebs are having.
And the concept of "model" is quite different here, you open up those JJ, Can-Cam, Ane-Cam, ViVi etc mags(the ones mishahoi has mentioned in her post, they have their Chinese version here also), instead of fashion models, you see cute faces(most of the time bi-racial) and lovely-but-always-the-same smiles telling you the "must haves" this season. i'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just, the majority doesn't care about fashion, really.
Well, to be fair... it's not much different in a bigger part of Western market as well. Especially in the recent year, this sweeping celebrity craze. I mean, how many times have we seen freakin Jennifer Aniston on the cover of Vogue and Bazaar with the same hairstyle, clothes and facial expression? Even less maintstream publications have their "same old same old" reliable faces. Like I noticed how every "edgy" male magazine needs to write about Asia Argento at least 4 times a year even though she starred in, like, 4 big movies and isn't doing anything remarkable at the moment.

30-10-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishahoi View Post
not Japanese....been here about 5 years been in the industry for three, so I suppose I`m like an outsider looking out looking in

In general, Id say that that the majority of Japanese women (AND men) dress far better than their (say,) American counterparts. However, they dress that way because that is how they are told to dress... by magazines, tv shows, the staff at stores...

Did you know that people go to stylist schools to become staff at boutiques?? Its almost a requisite here..... the top designers hire from places like the Yale of Japan. When a customer comes in, it is not usually themselves, but the SA who chooses the outfit...(and the belt, and the shoes, and the other accessories...)

Because of the nature of my work, when I would go out shopping with a friend, he/she will pick something off the rack and say`I like this, but how do you suggest I wear it?`...as if I am supposed to tell them to wear it with something slim and nothing else.

Good for work, bad for imagination.

..and I`m, off on a OT tangent.....
I must say this is absolutely CRAZY What, you need to graduate from Tokyo state univsity or something just to be an SA in Hermes???
I suppose luxury shopping is such an important part of thier lives, I think something like 46% of all luxury spending is accounted for by Japanese. I guess it's such a big business nobody wants to risk their reputations by hiring "hillbillies". Still insane.

30-10-2007
V.I.P.

well i want to be an sa at hermes or chanel

03-11-2007
Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith Akiyama View Post
This is very much the same idea as the big-eyed, long-legged look that's almost always featured in anime and manga, really I actually think Asians in general are extremely ethnocentric -- we are beyond proud of our people, our race, our history, our accomplishments, etc. However, there is always a consistent, strong appreciation for beauty, especially in varied forms. Perhaps Caucasian looks satisfy an eastern taste for the atypical, it's just expressed much more vividly -- quite romanticized -- than the vice versa case (Westerners regarding eastern culture as exotic beauty). At least, that is how I often feel

anime.gen.tr

Not to start a new argument all together, but I get the feeling that Naomi Campbell or Iman, despite their exotic appearance, would sell nearly as well as a Gemma Ward or Sophie Dahl cover. I have a Japanese/Mexican friend who went to Japan and said she saw a suprising amount of black/Japanese people, but I'm still taken aback to look at the magazines she brought back and see tons and tons of Eurasian woman- as in, they all had large eyes and European features, save almond shaped eyes and dark coloring (this was one of the catalogues mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe).

03-11-2007
trendsetter

Well, a model, i'm not saying who, said that she went to the Undercover casting, because they asked for her and the girl, who was Japanese, said "Sorry we're only casting white girls". This, of course pissed the model off who was asian btw. Who do you have to blame for them not wanting models that aren't white? You decide, because if I said what I feel about this whole subject I'd probably be banned. People have to start seeing beauty beyond color. It's stupid that a piece of clothing/magazine won't sell because somebody's features are different or because of their skin color, etc.

You have to blame the buyers IMO for this. Because obviously the people who make the magazine saw that it's sales decreased or people weren't interested when an asian model was used on the cover.. Ignore this post do whatever, I don't care.

03-11-2007
tfs star

because they always look up to caucasian pyshically.
even so many percentage of people in tokyo have done plastic surgery to look caucasian.

but there's a lot of japanese magazines (not franchised magz) always features japanese too, although a lot of the models inside are mixed with caucasian or totall caucasian

03-11-2007
V.I.P.

Actually so many jap magazines feature asian models.. this in japan vogue nippon isnt even known that well!

03-11-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunged View Post
People have to start seeing beauty beyond color. It's stupid that a piece of clothing/magazine won't sell because somebody's features are different or because of their skin color, etc.
I agree with you on that.
I also think that the situation is getting really sad with the models chosen for ads,eds,etc.The vast majority looks the same (white,very thin,"weird" looking,very young).Where's the diversity?

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorseinstripe
because they always look up to caucasian pyshically.
i dont agree with this. the japanese are arguably the most proud of their culture out of the east asians. their use of western models is just a manifestation of their confidence. on the contrary, one who is adamant about using their 'own' race / own models, do so out of some inferiority complex or need to overcompensate to the world. though japan has always been adapting foreign things into their own, they like to be a homogenous nation and not nearly the xenophiles that people like to believe.

also Vogue is not an important publication there. Vogue is so mediocre anyway that hardly anything is worth flipping through. like mishahoi said there is such a variant of subcultures that magazines cater to every niche demographic imaginable. because the culture is sophisticated enough to do so. nobody wants to look like some LV-Gucci-Prada tool with no style. the only people i saw in tokyo clutching their LV bags are chinese/korean immigrants or maybe a subculture called 'no style'.

lastly the lack of models is due to well, the lack of models. i dont think japan has many female fashion models. the average female height there is like 5'2. i definately stuck out like a sore thumb when i was there, which i never felt walking the streets of shanghai or beijing.

09-11-2007
loaded and locked

also. case in point, i saw there is a new magazine in print....called `Rushh`....it is a magazine talking only about the TRENDS of (western) models.

good god!!

im less bothered about the fact that it is mostly white girls than the whole thing being dedicated to what they say is cool!

09-11-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
Er...I think the Japanese are more into following the big labels such as Chanel and Dior instead of having a unique 'look'. Same goes for HK.

Of course, anyone can negate that opinion.
The label thing is totally true in my experience. My mom is from Hong Kong and is all about names. She's more familiar with brands that are lesser-known in HK though. Also, last week, I was shopping and two middle aged Cantonese speaking women loudly said something in the lines of "she's not that well known, so it isn't worth it" in Cantonese, referring to Tory Burch.

11-04-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
The label thing is totally true in my experience. My mom is from Hong Kong and is all about names. She's more familiar with brands that are lesser-known in HK though. Also, last week, I was shopping and two middle aged Cantonese speaking women loudly said something in the lines of "she's not that well known, so it isn't worth it" in Cantonese, referring to Tory Burch.
On a visit to Hong Kong I've noticed that that there are a lot of designer-obsessed people (after playing "count the gucci bags" I got 58 on an afternoon) but that^ is simply terrible

And I think the Caucasian look simply appeals to Asians. There is a LOT of surgery to look more caucasian: people get double eyelids, slimmer noses.

11-04-2008
假装不正经

^instead of "designer-obsessed", i'd say "brand/logo- obsessed". lol

backstage pass

^ Oh yeah. That makes sense

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asian, feature, models, vogue