How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
11-04-2008
  46
trendsetter
 
mkd1187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC-LES
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushie View Post
Why does Vogue Paris feature so few french models?
Why does Vogue US feature so few US models?
Why does Vogue Espana feature so few Spanish models?
Why does Vogue Germany feature so few german models?
This is such an inapt statement. This is not an issue unique to this magazine. Its an issue of white privilege on a global level. You mentioned US, France, etc. but pretty much all those models are white.

Maybe the US does not feature many American models, or France - not many French models... but they are pretty much all white models.

The issue here is not that Vogue Nippon does feature many Japanese models - its that they feature hardly any Asian models (or non-white for that matter).

Not to take this too general, but the fact that Japanese women can't buy a fashion mag with women who look like them in it portrays an impartial idea of beauty.

Compare it to a person of color going into a drugstore and not being able to buy a band-aid that matches their skin color.

  Reply With Quote
 
11-04-2008
  47
V.I.P.
 
bluedolphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,781
i think vogue china use a lots of Asian models!

  Reply With Quote
11-04-2008
  48
trendsetter
 
mkd1187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC-LES
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,015
^Yes it does. But Vogue Nippon does not - hardly any.

  Reply With Quote
12-04-2008
  49
windowshopping
 
sheisadreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: aiea, hawaii
Gender: femme
Posts: 10
im probably repeating something that has already been said but...

vogue nippon is targeting those who are into western fashion in japan since vouge is a western thing anyway. thus, they use the models who are popular in the "western" fashion industry. that fashion industry lacks diversity (cough) anddd there arnt much popular japanese models in the western fashion industry besides ai tominaga and devon aoki. well at least that i can think of. sooo...yea. plus, vogue nippon isnt popular nationwide in japan. its more aimed at subculture for people who enjoy western fashion. its things like popular japanese fashion magazines such as glamourous, vivi, jj which the fashionable kids would buy and all the fashionable moms would rather buy domani and voce over vogue. well my mom does anyway. and that is where you will see all the lovely japanese models.

with that said
japan's fashion industry is very different. they have all types of different models for different fashion subcultures. so since vogue is a western thing, they will use the western models. another example, egg, a popular fashion magazine aimed towards the popular "gal/gyaru" subculture, will use alot of tanned japanese import model looking women. same with woofin' gal who will use many mixed black japanese models. and girly magazines such as vivi and jj will use pretty girly japanese models. o and those models gain alot of popularity in japan such as jun hasegawa, lena fuji and meisa kuroki. just to name a few.

  Reply With Quote
12-04-2008
  50
loaded and locked
 
mishahoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: T-o-k-y-o
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheisadreamer View Post
im probably repeating something that has already been said but...

vogue nippon is targeting those who are into western fashion in japan since vouge is a western thing anyway. thus, they use the models who are popular in the "western" fashion industry. that fashion industry lacks diversity (cough) anddd there arnt much popular japanese models in the western fashion industry besides ai tominaga and devon aoki. well at least that i can think of. sooo...yea. plus, vogue nippon isnt popular nationwide in japan. its more aimed at subculture for people who enjoy western fashion. its things like popular japanese fashion magazines such as glamourous, vivi, jj which the fashionable kids would buy and all the fashionable moms would rather buy domani and voce over vogue. well my mom does anyway. and that is where you will see all the lovely japanese models.

with that said
japan's fashion industry is very different. they have all types of different models for different fashion subcultures. so since vogue is a western thing, they will use the western models. another example, egg, a popular fashion magazine aimed towards the popular "gal/gyaru" subculture, will use alot of tanned japanese import model looking women. same with woofin' gal who will use many mixed black japanese models. and girly magazines such as vivi and jj will use pretty girly japanese models. o and those models gain alot of popularity in japan such as jun hasegawa, lena fuji and meisa kuroki. just to name a few.
EXACTLY. Could not have said it better myself.

If you want to see some of the top Japanese runway models, please look at Limi Feu's runway show. Most of them are not conventionally tall however, which may be why they don't hit it big internationally.

  Reply With Quote
12-05-2008
  51
trendsetter
 
jjbunny79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: İstasyon İnsanları
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,319
i always though it would be sorta silly to buy vogue nippon in japan anyways, like vogue have a really that old, rich lady like appeal to me.... >.<

the japanese (translated into Chinese, lol) magazine i have (most of them is lost b/c i moved) is Pop-teen. The model typically dyes their hair, some is tanned and some is pale and they are around like 150-165+...
I am thinking of getting magazines like the Chinese version of Ray or ViVi but I dont what should i get! (I wont be getting it until the winter.)

__________________
pm me for facebook's e-mail
  Reply With Quote
12-05-2008
  52
scenester
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Gender: femme
Posts: 60
i've bought APRIL,that cover is daria,she looks fab!!but the content is very boring.even if is very freshi.but, i cant even remember one of the pics in it.but the eds not bad.the style of this mag according with Japanese' taste very much.but compare with other countries' it looks so weak.such as VOGUE CHINA.it was founded in sep,2005,but now it develop rapid.come into frontage of the world.well.VOGUE CHINA should strive on the photo shoot.we all knows the eds' quality are not good-looking.

  Reply With Quote
12-05-2008
  53
front row
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 326
I was browsing around a japanese bookstore and all the comments above are true. There are, like 20 fashion magazines there, I would say, a good 70% of them feature japanese/asian models broken down into the following: 1. purely asian looking (cancan),
2. amerasian/eurasian looking (vivi) 3. asian looking but with with something else done to look more western- blondish hair, tinted contacts, etc (the others).
I saw Numero, Vogue and Elle with completely caucasian models.

  Reply With Quote
28-09-2009
  54
rising star
 
bluecandyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 100
Asian on the cover of Vogue???
I remember Du Juan on Vogue Paris but she is stategically hidden by Gemma's hair and she isn't solo on the cover?

Has there been an Asian model or celebrity who have been on the cover of US Vogue? Vogue Italia? British Vogue? yet?

And when I say Asian, i refer to every Asian whether it be Chinese, Japanese (Devon Aoki?), Korean, Indian, Filipino, Malaysian, Indonesian, and so on...

calling Hamish Bowles...

  Reply With Quote
28-09-2009
  55
tfs star
 
oxymoron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durham
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,747
None that I am aware of. Not including the Asian Vogues:

Ling Tan had a Vogue German cover and Eugenia Mandzhieva had a cover for Vogue Russia. Audry Quock was on a supplemental cover for Vogue Italia.

  Reply With Quote
28-09-2009
  56
MON
V.I.P.
 
MON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Philippines
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,154
I'm asian, from the Philippines. But i'd rather buy a magazine who features a Blondey, Blue -eyed tall woman than a Filipina. I think it's because i'm used and bored seeing people like me. I'm fascinated and excited to see something new.

As for VOGUE not featuring Asians, I think it's weird but okay at the same time.

__________________
TWITTER: @mondimac | INSTAGRAM: @mondimac
Status: Online
 
Reply With Quote
28-09-2009
  57
!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
I'm asian, from the Philippines. But i'd rather buy a magazine who features a Blondey, Blue -eyed tall woman than a Filipina. I think it's because i'm used and bored seeing people like me. I'm fascinated and excited to see something new.

As for VOGUE not featuring Asians, I think it's weird but okay at the same time.
that's just sad.

  Reply With Quote
28-09-2009
  58
backstage pass
 
jeffandtheworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Gender: homme
Posts: 840
there was a Thai supermodel (and the first asian model) for Chanel adcampaign (fragrance) in 90s, but now she is in jail, so.. She was also on a cover of Vogue Singapore in 90s.

__________________
Sui He, Karlie Kloss & Malaika Firth

Last edited by jeffandtheworld; 28-09-2009 at 08:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2009
  59
rising star
 
bluecandyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
None that I am aware of. Not including the Asian Vogues:

Ling Tan had a Vogue German cover and Eugenia Mandzhieva had a cover for Vogue Russia. Audry Quock was on a supplemental cover for Vogue Italia.
so do you think, by far, du juan is the most successful in terms of being on the elusive vogue cover? (asian vogues aside)

btw, i used to really like audry quock when she wasnt modelling for VS yet...

  Reply With Quote
29-09-2009
  60
rising star
 
bluecandyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 100
from asianmodel blogspot
du juan on vogue paris

ling tan on german vogue

devon aoki on russian vogue

audrey quock on vogue italia


Last edited by bluecandyboy; 29-09-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: additional info
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asian, feature, models, vogue
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.