How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-10-2004
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally posted by saad@Oct 27 2004, 08:35 PM
(if you want, i could paste the 3 page i wrote on advertisements for my a level economics )
[snapback]408293[/snapback]
Would you please do it, cos Im interested!

27-10-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Oct 27 2004, 11:58 AM
me neither, lets go out partying and leave them to do the thinking
[snapback]408195[/snapback]
You two are awesome... It's just a fact of life.

27-10-2004
V.I.P.

Well advertising is marketing and marketing is money..... ...and everybody wants money.

I don't get how you can be AGAINST advertising, I mean, if you're not happy with the way the society works, just IGNORE all those ads, nobody's gonna shoot you if you don't care about them. If someone's easy influencable, then too bad... ...that's the power of advertising... ...what do you want...

Good or bad, it's part of our society.

28-10-2004
V.I.P.

Did anyone see that futurama where advertising was beamed directly into our dreams?

28-10-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Oct 27 2004, 05:58 PM
me neither, lets go out partying and leave them to do the thinking
[snapback]408195[/snapback]
I get you

28-10-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

maybe i'm missing something but i don't get what's wrong with advertising? you try to sell a (let's say) antique tea pot, you post a classified ad in your local paper, someone who would have never met you before picks up the paper, sees the ad, buys the teapot...i'm not quite sure the harm in that.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Oct 28 2004, 10:41 AM
maybe i'm missing something but i don't get what's wrong with advertising? you try to sell a (let's say) antique tea pot, you post a classified ad in your local paper, someone who would have never met you before picks up the paper, sees the ad, buys the teapot...i'm not quite sure the harm in that.
[snapback]409209[/snapback]
the difference is you are not trying to sell an image.

28-10-2004
seagreen serenades

I still think advertising is too often used as a scape goat for bigger problems. Binge drinking, smoking, etc. let’s just blame their glorifying in the media and forget that people only reach for them because they make their lives a bit better, and they need them to be a bit better, because…

28-10-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Oct 28 2004, 10:43 AM
the difference is you are not trying to sell an image.
[snapback]409213[/snapback]
but the issue here is advertising not image-obsession...if i am understanding this thread correctly.

and advertising has done some mighty good things in our society as well...it has brought recognition and legitimacy to many groups that have long been discriminated against. advertising campaigns are some of the first to project african americans as beautiful, affluent, etc., the same with many other minority groups including LGBT.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Oct 28 2004, 12:28 PM
but the issue here is advertising not image-obsession...if i am understanding this thread correctly.

and advertising has done some mighty good things in our society as well...it has brought recognition and legitimacy to many groups that have long been discriminated against. advertising campaigns are some of the first to project african americans as beautiful, affluent, etc., the same with many other minority groups including LGBT.
[snapback]409305[/snapback]
But that's the thing, in essence advertising is image-obsession - they are selling the product through the image, and the image is false. An SUV won't buy you security, the new fridge won't make you happy, and drinking Heineken will not get you that pretty girl in a bar. They use the same tools as politics - lying. They are selling a dream-world.

There is definitey place and benefit of having information at your fingertips - like when you research buying a car for example - but buying a car based on an advertisement is silly. Just look at all those BMWs out there, 90% of the drivers don't appreciate the driving prowess the car offers - they buy the car for the logo.

28-10-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Oct 28 2004, 01:56 PM
Just look at all those BMWs out there, 90% of the drivers don't appreciate the driving prowess the car offers - they buy the car for the logo.
[snapback]409396[/snapback]
I'm sure they don't appreciate the poor dependability either when that expensive car of theirs breaks down.

The only "luxury car" brand I can think of with solid ratings from people like Consumer Reports is Lexus. And I know too many people with BMWs that are just crap. I'm sure the driving is nice, but I think it'd wear a bit thin on me after repair after repair...

28-10-2004
chaos reigns

I'll have to admit I like some of it ... but a large part is revolting .. want to check out Ads froma specific perpective? Check out commercialcloset.com

tfs star

ok, here i go again...

the problem with advertising is that you can't really ignore it in this society and yes, it's jus a fact of life...

but the thing is...somewhere along the way, advertising went from telling people about a product to making people think they need the product...

my problem with it is that advertising will never tell the consumer "They're Okay" and thus so many social issues are created...

i do admire some ads though...Kenneth Cole and Bennetton, both hav pushed the limits amazingly...

31-10-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Oct 28 2004, 10:41 AM
[snapback]409209[/snapback]
It undermines the fundamental assumption of the free market.

trendsetter

im actually doing a paper on advertising, and the pros/cons etc.

some very good insight here, would love some more

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advertising