How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-03-2012
fashion elite

I just don't get it, i've tried to find one single thing in her appealing, but i don't find any...
This only reminds me that this industry is bizarre and far from my full understanding, even all the involved i could get on it.

Otherwise, it'd be interesting to see how she does in a beauty campaign, cause in a my opinion her face isn't that gracefully.

17-03-2012
trendsetter

What's it with many recent beauty campaigns featuring very average looking girls?

When I look at a picture of Barbara Palvin or Sigrid Agren in a beauty campaign, I stop and stare at the picture and marvel at the sheer, perfect beauty of these girls. It's the same with the vintage beauty adverts - all the women are just so damned beautiful.

I can understand Jourdan fronting YSL - her face is magisterial. Ginta is very pretty as well. I can understand Jac fronting Chanel - she's striking. I can understand Natalia Vodianova fronting Guerlain - she's insanely beautiful. Or the girl in the recent Clarins adverts. Hell, I can even understand Lindsay Wixson doing a beauty campaign - she's got a face which arrests your attention, even if not necessarily for the sheer beauty of it.

But I totally don't get it when girls like Karlie Kloss and Arizona Muse who are neither beautiful not strange looking in the Lindsey or Daphne mould - in other words, who are absolutely average at best - end up landing beauty campaigns and have their faces splashed all over magazines.

It's almost as if EL is just having a look at the models.com top 10 rankings and picking the most popular model of whichever colour they need who isn't contracted with anyone else. Liu Wen, Joan Smalls and now Arizona. I can think of so many other girls - of all ethnicities - who're better suited than the aforementioned three. What about - say - Aymeline Valade, who's got the most striking cheekbones and eyes? Or for that mater Toni Garrn, who's face would suit a beauty campaign to the T? Or Jacquelyn Jablonski who's face - those eyes! - is a million times more striking than Arizona's?

Why is it that for almost all beauty adverts they're jumping on the bandwagon and casting the girl most popular with designers, rather than girls suited for beauty campaigns?

17-03-2012
French Chic

I think Arizona is perfectly suited to EL.
She has a modern yet classic look, great skin and a beaming smile.....isn't that what a beauty contract needs?

tfs star

As i said in her thread...

I'm not a big fan of Toni Garrn. But she would be a much better choice for the EL company even though, i like Arizona

17-03-2012
fashion icon

Arizona is nice and all but she's so sedate in interviews I find it difficult to believe she'd be a good spokesmodel. I can't believe girls like Constance, Arizona, Joan and Liu have huge EL beauty contract when the most beautiful girls like Edita, Sigrid, Snejana, Sui He and Jourdann don't. They should be the faces of EL.

If they're going for a more mature model with short hair I think Kati Nescher is far more elegant than Arizona.

front row

I;m so happy for her. YAY~~~~~ Booked qween.

backstage pass

I'm Glad for her, her face and beauty is her best feature! I prefer see Arizona in Beauty Ads that in Runway shows!

18-03-2012
rising star

I'm so excited for her! I know her look is so polarizing on here, but I think she definitely appeals to the average woman (and man maybe I don't know), meaning those that don't follow models and fashion as in depth as on here. This is a really big deal for her career and hopefully more good things come from this!

scenester

I'm so happy to see Arizona in EL. I'll be able to take naps during commercials from this point on, thanks to her. I'll finally be able to be bored to sleep!

Great casting on their part.

Last edited by japhne; 18-03-2012 at 03:30 PM.
18-03-2012
V.I.P.

I'm kinda over Arizona, but very curious as to how her campaign turns out.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post
What's it with many recent beauty campaigns featuring very average looking girls?

When I look at a picture of Barbara Palvin or Sigrid Agren in a beauty campaign, I stop and stare at the picture and marvel at the sheer, perfect beauty of these girls. It's the same with the vintage beauty adverts - all the women are just so damned beautiful.

I can understand Jourdan fronting YSL - her face is magisterial. Ginta is very pretty as well. I can understand Jac fronting Chanel - she's striking. I can understand Natalia Vodianova fronting Guerlain - she's insanely beautiful. Or the girl in the recent Clarins adverts. Hell, I can even understand Lindsay Wixson doing a beauty campaign - she's got a face which arrests your attention, even if not necessarily for the sheer beauty of it.

But I totally don't get it when girls like Karlie Kloss and Arizona Muse who are neither beautiful not strange looking in the Lindsey or Daphne mould - in other words, who are absolutely average at best - end up landing beauty campaigns and have their faces splashed all over magazines.

It's almost as if EL is just having a look at the models.com top 10 rankings and picking the most popular model of whichever colour they need who isn't contracted with anyone else. Liu Wen, Joan Smalls and now Arizona. I can think of so many other girls - of all ethnicities - who're better suited than the aforementioned three. What about - say - Aymeline Valade, who's got the most striking cheekbones and eyes? Or for that mater Toni Garrn, who's face would suit a beauty campaign to the T? Or Jacquelyn Jablonski who's face - those eyes! - is a million times more striking than Arizona's?

Why is it that for almost all beauty adverts they're jumping on the bandwagon and casting the girl most popular with designers, rather than girls suited for beauty campaigns?
I used to be one of those people who disliked Arizona. The way she talks, the way she photographs, the way she acts just bugs me to no end. Nonetheless, despite all those notions, I am still immensely drawn to her look (the same with Gisele Bundchen). Something about her face is so appealing. I can't put my finger on it. She definitely has one of those "basic" looks about her, but it is so interesting. Most of her work have been satisfactory, nothing stellar. However, I do feel that Arizona's best market is cosmetics/beauty.

Now, I definitely agree with you about Karlie—I never have gotten her appeal. I would put Liu, Joan, Karlie, and Arizona in the same category of looks - "the basics". However, "the basics" attract clients because they have a long-lasting look and are somewhat more relatable to customers. While yes, it would be wonderful to see girls who have more interesting or more unique looks to grace cosmetic/beauty campaigns, it is definitely a risk for the company, thus they settle for a basic beauty.

19-03-2012
Oh Yeah!

Arizona is extremely photogenic and does not seem to take a bad shot at all. If her Vogue Paris cover is not any indication of a Beauty Contract in her future then I don't know what is. This does not come as a surprise at all to me, in fact it's already expected. Good for her.

20-03-2012
trendsetter

She reminds me of Willow Bay their spokesmodel in the 80's/early 90's.

20-03-2012
fashion elite

arizona's beauty is very conventional, an average person would find her to be extremely beautiful. karlie's beauty is anything but conventional.

happy for the girl!!!!!!!!!!!!she's is a lucky one. many models have been working in the industry for years and didnt get much, arizona on the other hand accomplished works that would take many models years.

i definitely think that vogue paris cover influenced el decision on choosing arizona as a new spoke person.

20-03-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post

That's where subjectivity comes in. I don't think Vodianova or Ginta are remarkable beauties. Ginta in particular has 3 or 4 lookalikes who can be mistaken for her. Barbara Palvin looks like an even younger Natalia Vodianova. I can't think of another model who looks like Arizona.

I agree with others that her Vogue Paris cover and editorial sealed the deal for a beauty campaign. Estee Lauder could just slap their logo on these pics and have a ready-made campaign

zinio

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
arizona, estee, face, lauder, muse, newest