How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-01-2010
trendsetter

Interview with NICOLAS GHESQUIERE

http://www.vogue.fr/video/voguetv/pl...uty/Id,252126/

08-02-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:

Balenciaga’s just released their first fragrance in twelve years, Balenciaga Paris.

The scent, which is powdery, light, and perfect for someone who doesn’t want to smell like they’re wearing perfume, launches at Bergdorf Goodman on the 15th.

We expect Charlotte Gainsbourg’s Steven Meisel-shot campaign to pop up everywhere this spring, but for now, you can watch Nicolas Ghesquière talk about his process. The bottle, which will remain the same when they roll out new scents, is inspired by the classic Balenciaga silhouette. Ghesquière imagines a woman setting it down amongst her things to create an Irving Penn-like still life and he chose Charlotte for her “oddity…and bizarre beauty.”

Images of the original Balenciaga boutique on Avenue George V pop up in the video, as well as the original perfume bottle (one of which I happened to find in Beirut over the holidays — now I know it’s from 1947) and the rest of Ghesquière’s inspiration.

If you ever though fragrance was an afterthought, this should change your mind.
Fashionista

08-02-2010
V.I.P.

wow,everytime i see this ad i'm really stunned at the simple perfection of if

08-02-2010
!

Charlotte looks 'special'. she certainly isn't a fragrance model or even a model for that matter.

09-02-2010
fashion icon

it hurts. truely

15-02-2010
rising star

This campaign really is truly beautiful and so pure.

Here is a behind-the-scenes video featuring Nicolas Ghesquière.
It is in French, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4rhm...layer_embedded

(Via AnotherMagazine)

Last edited by voycik; 15-02-2010 at 08:46 AM.
18-02-2010
V.I.P.

I want that pic in better quality. Charlotte is amazing. Not only a good actress and a good singer. She looks very good in pictures, just like a model. Love her.

24-02-2010
V.I.P.

HQ

me from zinio.com

02-03-2010
Alluring

Quote:

Nicolas’ questions to Charlotte

Do you remember the first time we met?

It must have been at the first fashion show of yours that I attended. I was told that you would like me to come. I must have gone backstage, but the fashion show crowd and my shyness at the time resulted in me simply staring at my feet.

What was it about Balenciaga that touched you most?

The fact that I met you and discovered your style, which made me want to be more feminine.

Is there a certain dress that took your breath away?

The outfit that I wore for the opening of the Cannes Film Festival, when I was on the panel of judges. I felt protected, like in a military uniform.The dress that you designed for me for the Césars ceremony when I was president, because you made it just for me!And a white dress in parachute material, because it was like an unexpected wedding gown for me, as I’ve never been married.

Why did you accept to be the image of Balenciaga Paris?

Because you asked me. I’ve never really worn fragrance and I’m proud to have been the inspiration for this one.

You are so discreet. What will it be like to become the image of afragrance?

I know that I’m surrounded by the Balenciaga image. I have total faith in your vision. I feel that you reveal who I am before even realizing where you are taking me. This fragrance is like the dresses that you design for me and that I feel so wonderful wearing.

Do you approach this like a role to play?

No. Balenciaga is like a second home. Representing your fragrance is an evolution that takes place naturally in the relationship I have with the Balenciaga style. This fragrance has a strong personality, like your clothing: classic, feminine and refined. And I really like the idea that you created it with me in mind.

How does one incarnate a fragrance?

By being myself and not being affected by the way you or Steven Meisel look at me.

You were so moving in Cannes… Since this film, are you no longer afraid of anything?

It’s true that it allowed me to go further than ever before in terms of an unaccustomed yet desired immodesty (both physical and emotional). I think it broke down my complexes, because the stakes were elsewhere.

When does Balenciaga suit you best?

Probably when Yvan is looking at me.
Quote:
Charlotte’s questions for Nicolas

Do you remember the first time we met?

I already knew who you were, of course. Yes, I remember that one season, I was told that you wanted to come to my fashion show and I was asked if I wanted to meet you. This was summer 2000 and the show took place at Les Arts Décoratifs. And so you came. I was backstage and could think about nothing but you. And then you arrived backstage. There was a crowd and you were standing alone on the side. We were introduced. You liked the show. And we said that it would be nice to see each other again. I thought I had a wonderful job. But, you see, deep down, I had always thought of you. Even before I met you, I was designing for you.

What do you think about our friendship over the years?

It was sudden and spontaneous. You’ve remained pure, despite the machine around you – a machine that you know by heart, in which image is all-important. I admire the way you protect yourself. The way you keep a certain innocence about you. This form of naïveté always surprises and touches me. I thrive on your thoughts and questions – I still do. After 10 years of friendship, this enthusiasm and casualness between us hasn’t changed. Your spontaneity is essential to me. I feel calm when I’m with you.

How do you dream up a fragrance?

A fragrance is absolute immateriality. And it’s also an immemorial presence. A fragrance floats and leaves a trace. I’ve always been fascinated by this paradox. You “wear” a fragrance and yet, you no longer need clothing. Creating a fragrance is the absolute opposite of my initial trade. I construct, I build… In this case, we’re in the field of pure fantasy. It’s the freedom of idealizing the woman that I want, but without giving her a concrete style. I also like the idea that a fragrance can be multi-faceted. Many women wear it and yet it expresses itself in a unique way on each of them.

Why did you want me to represent the image of this fragrance?

You are exactly this. You have a strong yet evanescent presence all at once. You are not the icon or the image of this fragrance. You are the idea that I have of it.

We’ve talked about this fragrance idea for so long!

Yes, for such a long time. Dreaming of it for so many years. You were my private consultant. I was so surprised when I asked what fragrance you wore and you answered: nothing! Your only suggestion was to surprise you.

Can you tell me everything about Balenciaga Paris?

It’s a resolute fragrance. It seems light. It knows how to be mysterious. Violet is a deceptive friend. It may appear fragile. It is delicate at first, yet leaves a lasting trail behind it. It was also important for me to make a clothing fragrance. Fragrance on clothing takes on a whole new sensuality. It will be perfect on your trench coat!
all from balenciagafragrance.com

02-03-2010
fashion icon

it's not charlotte on the last pic

02-03-2010
V.I.P.

^yes it'her

02-03-2010
V.I.P.

The picture of Nicolas and Charlotte is far better than the actual advertisement. Much more dynamic and strong. The actual advertisement is just so bland.

02-03-2010
Alluring

After reading all the interviews and articles the whole idea and execution really does make a lovely sense. Such collaboration doesn't take place every day.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
balenciaga, charlotte, fragrance, gainsbourg, meisel, steven