How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-10-2012
backstage pass

THE best fashion JOKE of 2012 winner is:
everytime it comes on tv, me and my boyfriend can't help but laugh at the stupid irrelevant pretentious attempt at poetry. Keep the day job honey Brad, and leave it to gorgeous supermodels. Chanel, take note cos you are the laughing stock with that ad.
My boyfriend was also in Ny last week and apparently there are loads of jokes about the ad around bank offices.
So Chanel, whatever you tried and achieved certainly backfired. I certainly for one don't want to smell like a bad joke.
:p

23-10-2012
rising star

I don't think it backfired at all. The ad was cheesy and ridiculous but I actually think it will draw more people to the perfume. It's gotten an insane amount of publicity all because of Brad. If it had been a supermodel doing the same exact ad, it wouldn't have gotten any attention.

23-10-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalytic View Post
I don't think it backfired at all. The ad was cheesy and ridiculous but I actually think it will draw more people to the perfume. It's gotten an insane amount of publicity all because of Brad. If it had been a supermodel doing the same exact ad, it wouldn't have gotten any attention.
I agree with you that it got tons of publicity and people say all publicity is good publicity (?), but remember the publicity that Dior got 2 (?) years back for all the wrong reasons... I cannot think that anyone who want their image tarnished whether it is by being the joke of the year ad or by having innappriate designer comments leaked in the news. Although obviously the former is a lot worse than the latter but I am trying to use a comparison:p
I'd much rather CHANEL stuck to classy acts and iconic ads than go down the route they are currently taking. A "Classic" can easily change into a "chav" item. Burberry's checkered caps/clothing is a good example. I wouldn't want to be seen in it. But that is me and that was my point. But I do get yours too

23-10-2012
V.I.P.

^Well I personally found the ad classy! It was pretentious but maybe that was the point of the advertisement? A satire on people who are pseudo deep. They try to come off as intellectual but in the end , their sophisticated wordings are just meaningless and empty ..

I still stick by my guns that this commercial was well done in a witty way. Plus Brad Pitt is an icon and the point of this campaign was to give Chanel no.5 a new twist and a publicity overhaul ..

23-10-2012
fashion icon

Before I saw the ad I thought people were just overreacting over how bad it was, but the honest truth is that I couldn't even sit through one commercial without changing the channel. I feel embarrassed for him. He's just not the intellectual type and having him be this serious in a damn commercial is so awkward. Who the hell came up with this concept and thought it'd be a good idea?

23-10-2012
fashion icon

^If Chanel was going for an "intellectual type" of man then they should have had like George Clooney or Matt Damon shill for them. I get the feeling that these two come off as a bit more "intellectual" then Brad. Actually, though, I think there is only one man who could sell me Chanel no. 5 and that would be Ryan Gosling. I'd probably buy anything the Gos tried to sell.

fashion icon

^ Right? In my opinion, even though he's not a heartthrob Sean Penn is the only actor I can think of who could pull this sort of thing off. He could make you believe in the crap that Brad is saying in the ad. But I still think that this kind of concept is wrong for a fashion campaign. It's too pretentious. I don't want to philosophize when I'm buying a perfume. I just want to sniff it and buy it. And the fact that he's replacing my beloved Audrey Tautou makes me even angrier.

27-10-2012
Mr. Magic

dweb.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
ô)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
27-10-2012
I don't know

He looks like he should be in a Lana Del Rey video

ETA: That picture along with the tagline 'inevitable' makes me think of this:

except for adults

Last edited by saann; 27-10-2012 at 08:56 AM.
27-10-2012
rising star

So much second-hand embarrassment...

They could have at least given him better clothes because it looks like an ad for a non-profit organization. At least the second ad has a little glamour.

27-10-2012
clever ain't wise

I love that print ad, it's so vintage David Bailey. But. But. But. Brad is no model....or what can you say? He really looks like it's inevitable that he's going to throw up.

well, at least it is publicity. And not boring.

03-11-2012
V.I.P.

I have to say that I genuinely hate this entire campaign. I'm not one to feel so strongly about things I dislike, usually I try to remain passive towards them, but I just can't stand this. When flicking through the December issues it's just an awful print ad and I can't say I feel any better about the commercials either.

Brad is of course a very handsome male, but here, he just looks pretty grim. The fact it's all in grey tones probably doesn't help it but what bothers me most is that he doesn't, in any way, shape, or form, look like he fits in with the Chanel aesthetic.

I don't have an issue with a male being the face of it and I do enjoy the idea that Chanel tried this but it just couldn't have gone any worse in my eyes.

03-11-2012
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

worst fashion mistake of recent times

fashion insider

I rarely skip adverts whilst watching the TV, I mean I can tolerate the awful Go Compare advert, but every time this comes up I have to change the channel. I like Brad and Joe Wright but it is such a lazy and pretentious advert.

18-10-2013
fashion insider

It looks like this campaign was a complete failure.

Quote:
Chanel Resurrects Marilyn Monroe for New No. 5 Campaign

Chanel is going in a decidedly more dead direction for its upcoming Chanel No. 5 campaign, enlisting none other than Marilyn Monroe as the face of the classic fragrance.

In a press release sent out this afternoon, Chanel describes the late cinema icon as “the most desirable woman of the 20th century,” citing Monroe‘s famous remark from 1952–that she wore nothing to bed but Chanel No. 5–as the incentive for choosing her to front the campaign. The French house recently unearthed a recording from 1960 of Monroe “spontaneously” confirming the quote in an interview with Marie Claire.

“You know, they ask me questions,” she explains in the audio. “Just an example: ‘What do you wear to bed ? A pajama top? The bottoms of the pajamas? A nightgown?’ So I said, ‘Chanel No. 5,’ because it’s the truth… And yet, I don’t want to say ‘nude’. But it’s the truth!”

The print and TV ads are set to roll out this fall. Monroe’s career has been on fire lately; aside from Chanel, she’s appeared in campaigns for Dior and Sexy Hair, collaborated on a MAC capsule collection, and designed a clothing line for Macy’s. Also, she died 51 years ago. No word on whether Monroe will be making appearances to promote her new gig. Heh.

Perhaps Brad Pitt was just a little too, oh, I don’t know… alive?… to sign back on for a second year.
Fashionista

Last edited by Creative; 18-10-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brad, chanel, face, pitt