How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-08-2011
front row

Two more.

Facebook/Burberry

03-08-2011
V.I.P.

i'm warming up to it slightly i have to say

V.I.P.

more white people

interesting

04-08-2011
backstage pass

I dont know why they feel the need to use so many models and bland looking ones at that. They really should have given Jourdan more shots but it is what it is i guess..

backstage pass

^^^Praising Jourdan to the high heavens while calling the other models bland-looking?

I know this is a love-fest for Jourdan, and granted, she is a beautiful woman, but she has the same expression as the other models, as it's clear that's the look they're going for; as a matter of fact, Jourdan always has the same expression in whatever she appears in: Sleepy / bedroom eyes and a blase expression. So I don't see the need to rip on the others while hailing Jourdan.

Anyway, would love to see more models of color added to the Prorsum roster-- Asian models, and how about East Asian models, like Lakshmi Menon...?

04-08-2011
V.I.P.

that's the problem, Bailey only uses british models. and not just 'british' but 'blonde and white' models.

seriously, when walking around London there's SUCH a great mix of people from everywhere. if Bailey wanted to properly portray the british, there'd be more people of color. SE asians. indians. hell, there's people from all over the world in the UK, but Bailey only picks the white ones who look like they're younger than 16, especially the boys. i might even say that Sacha from last season was the hunkiest guy in the long time to be cast for Burberry.

04-08-2011
backstage pass

I'm not fond of the obvious emphasis on pubescent boys that has become the Prorsum image for their men, but it is their signature for now. And as hugely WASP as their image is, I'd rather a label stick to their vision than just conform to a catalogue standard where we have the "one of each race" casting. Of course, if I were casting, I'd go for the unknown faces and cast a few East Indian models. Wouldn't that be revolutionary for Burberry Prorsum...

Anyway, it is fashion, and hopefully, they'll phase out of these kids and we'll even see adult models-- imagine that!

04-08-2011
V.I.P.

i think Bailey could easily get some more diversity, even if he'd use celebs. i mean, Dev Patel? he's tall and lanky! his gf, Freida? extremely pretty!

i'm just more and more disappointed with the castings these days cause what they sell are beauty ideals. when all the beauty ideals are white and blonde, it screws up entire generations.

04-08-2011
front row

I feel that the backstage pics are better that the main campaign

burberry.com

front row

burberry.com

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_a_Licious View Post
i think Bailey could easily get some more diversity, even if he'd use celebs. i mean, Dev Patel? he's tall and lanky! his gf, Freida? extremely pretty!

i'm just more and more disappointed with the castings these days cause what they sell are beauty ideals. when all the beauty ideals are white and blonde, it screws up entire generations.
Bailey may have creative direction, but I'm certain the Burberry Corp. are the ones that are insistent on the very mainstream and commercial direction of these campaigns, so I don't know if you can completely put the blame on him for the casting direction.

And please, no to celebrities as models.

06-08-2011
V.I.P.

that's what Bailey said. that this campaign should be like portraits of british musicians, actors and models. of course, none of those are people of color (except for Jourdan, who seems to be the token casting)

06-08-2011
backstage pass

I know Bailey's very much inspired by the spirit and style of indie garage bands, much the same way Hedi was, but Hedi's interpretations were always more raw and authentic to his inspiration. That's not to say Bailey's design interpretations aren't true to his inspirations-- but with the way the current campaign is cast and styled, I would've never caught his inspirations. This campaign has no edge-- simply looks like what it is: A group of wealthy and very young kids posing for the camera.

The inclusion of Jourdan does bug me-- in the same way that runway shows will include one model of color in a cast of all-white models. Why not cast another black girl along with Jourdan for the Burberry campaign? Why not include a few more models of color for runway? If they wanted an all-white cast, then do that.

Anyway, FelipeV is right; the behind-the-scene snaps are much more interesting and stronger than the final campaign!

10-08-2011
front row

scanned by me from Marie Claire France september 2011

16-08-2011
front row

scanned by me from elle (UK) september 2011

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, burberry, f or w, mario, prorsum, testino