How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-08-2005
rising star

Celebrities in fall campaigns
I find it horrible that celebutantes are now being used as models in the ads for collections. It has been a while now, but the fall ads surprised me... even though I adore Selma Blair I think she would be more suitable for a profile than a Miu Miu ad (with Evan Rachel Wood and Lou Dillon). And now even cheaper designers, who usually used unknown models are falling for the trend: Brittany Murphy for Jordache, Nicole Richie and DJ AM for Bongo Jeans... I think The Gap is to blame. It was cheesy and funky, as a one-time-only to have SJP model different ways to wear jeans.... but recurring to C-listers (or even established stars -- Demi Moore for Versace) is way too cheap. Next time maybe Miu Miu can use Anouck, and for once, we can all focus on the clothes again.

23-08-2005
V.I.P.

yeah, but designers or advertisers want to attract attention. and well-known celebrities can do that. I agree with you that it often looks cheap, but most people say: "oh, look, uma thurman's having that bag, I want it too!" and that's the aim of those ads.

tailored

i don't think the gap started the "celebrities in ads" trend...i think it had more to do with celebrities appearing on the covers of magazines...

i mean madonna was in ads for versace when gianni was still alive, and audrey hepburn was sort of a walking "ad" for givenchy, just as jackie o was for oleg cassini...designers have just taken it to a different level...i really don't understand miu miu's reasoning for using stars, although i like the fact they are using "indie" ones, like evan rachel wood and maggie gyllenhaal...

one can only hope the trend is cyclical, and that models will be back on the covers of mags and in ads, but i think the appeal with certain designers (versace being one of them) is that hollywood is part of their image, so they will always have celebs in ads, mixed with models (versace did have 10 girls for f/w 04)...

front row

I just read that mary kate olsen was going to star in ck campaign. I'm unsure about how reliable the font was though...

06-09-2005
V.I.P.

what do you think of posting pictures/scans of celebs in ads? it would let the thread be more interesting i guess

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralmilk
I just read that mary kate olsen was going to star in ck campaign. I'm unsure about how reliable the font was though...
That would be an incredibly odd combo for multiple reasons ... seems unlikely ...

I thought the Miu Miu campaign was interesting, if a bit odd ... Lou putting makeup on Rachel ... I'd always thought you learned how to wear makeup before anyone let you wear designer clothes, but I've probably led a sheltered life It would be interesting to hear opinions from those who are Miu Miu's target market, though.

19-09-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TRUSTtheGIRLS*
what do you think of posting pictures/scans of celebs in ads? it would let the thread be more interesting i guess
Lets do that

here is Vuitton:

Uma Thurman. I don't mind her doing ads

J.Lo she actually looks good

from bwgreyscale.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
campaigns, celebrities, fall