How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-09-2005
front row

I highly doubt that she'll disappear. She's ubiquitous in the fashion world and even if she lost H&M and Burberry, and Chanel isn't renewing her contract, she's still got Rimmel and Dior - and now she's got an edge. I mean, I don't support her actions - especially how careless she is about covering it up - but I highly doubt she's going to fall off the face of the earth. Too many people love her. And too many people love people with an edge.

21-09-2005
backstage pass

I can't believe people are actually feeling sorry for her!
She made her bed - now she has to lie in it... it's nobodies fault but her own.

It's not like Kate is some impressionable 15 year old first time model 'experimenting', she's a 31 year old woman with a two year old daughter FFS.

And for people to say :"she isn't the only model who does it.." Well, the difference is that Kate is an actual PERSONALITY - even my Mum knows who she is (and that's something! lol). She has a lot more public responsibility than a lot of the faceless models who may only last a few seasons. She's technically a bona fide celebrity... one of the only supermodels left in a time where models change as much as you change your underwear.

Don't think I'm Kate bashing, I love her style and I love seeing her in campaigns, but she needs a wake up call. She's not some 20 year old without responsibility anymore.

backstage pass

I for one think that this recent wave of protest against kate Moss is ridiculous. Who honestly didn't know that she was a druggie? I agree with what someone said earlier - the only thing she did wrong was get caught. Everyone does really shady sh*t in private. Even YOU. People act like only bad people do drugs, or that drugs make people bad. I don't agree with that. And I don't think Kate Moss is a bad person. She's just a druggie. If that interferes with the way she manages day to day life, then that drug-head needs serious help. But I haven't seen any evidence that she's recklessly harming herself or others. All I see is pictures of her snorting coke and people going apesh*t about it.

It seems like her drug use only became an issue after it became public. Kate was minding her own damn business, doing whatever the hell she was doing. Her acts only became public after some money-hungry picture snapping a**hole sold her pictures to the press, who are obviously having a field day with it.

I don't think doing drugs is the worst thing anyone can do. Be it cocaine, or whatever. I just don't think drugs are that big of an issue in the whole scheme of things. A lot of people bring up the fact that she has a daughter and that she should set a better example for her, which I'm really sympathetic to... but unless she's snorting cocaine in the presence of her daughter I really don't see how that concerns anyone. That's a moral issue and no one is in a position to tell someone else how they should live their lives morally. This is probably going to upset a lot of people, and I really don't care because that's exactly how I feel. People are under the impression that there's only one way to be a good parent, when in fact there are about a billion different ways a parent can do a good job raising their children. Who here doesn't have a mother or father who did or continues to do something that people would consider morally reprehensible? But that doesn't mean they're bad people.

Last edited by .francesca; 22-09-2005 at 12:31 PM. Reason: cleaned up some swears
22-09-2005
V.I.P.

Such a big mess

I'm just waiting for her comeback .

22-09-2005
rising star

To me this in a way just highlights the absurdity of “legal” drugs vs. “illegal.” She didn’t snort coke and run someone over with her car – she sat around and chatted, just as many of us do at a cocktail party. If she had consumed 3 pitchers of margaritas and run around behaving much worse it all would have been swept under the carpet. No, I don’t think doing coke is a good idea, but the line (no pun intended) separating what is acceptable substance use and what isn’t seems so arbitrary…

22-09-2005
101st monkey airborne

In the 1970's, cocaine was just a bit of fun. It wasn't even considered addictive, nor a sort of state or high that anybody wanted to maintain for long! A party drug, really. Not everybody who used it then became the stereotypical raving addict, nor do I believe that anyone who uses now, including Kate Moss, fits the mold of a habituated cokehead. Somehow it took until the driven '80's for anyone to aspire to feeling coked out all the goddamned time! Plus, let's not forget crack made the scene then. People are way too serious about drugs, and I think that's why they hold such a dangerous appeal. Alcohol wrecks more lives than cocaine ever has or ever will, and you can get that anywhere.

22-09-2005

I have a feeling Rimmel won't drop her. They need her imo. I also think Dior won't drop her but people are right. She has to face the consequences of her actions. Because at the end of the day, what she did was illegal. Yes, other models take drugs. Yes, it was pretty obvious to some that Kate was a drug-user. But in the eyes of the law that really shouldn't excuse what she did.

I do feel bad for her in some way (I am a fan) but I know if I was caught snorting cocaine I'd be in a hell of a lot of trouble. Why should she be excused?

windowshopping

No big surprise especially with her history & it is the fashion world. Icicle's opinion was right on. Kate will make a comeback, but she'll pay the price for the actions she herself chose. Whether 31 or 18, snorting coke is flipping stupid. Burning holes in your brain is ridiculous, but to each his or her own. I love Kate, but this is reality.

22-09-2005
PopWillEatItself

ChinaLove your post is one of the few with common sense regarding the subject!!! Thanks for speaking out! It seems that most of the people here live on another planet...

22-09-2005
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLove
I for one think that this recent wave of protest against kate Moss is ridiculous. Who honestly didn't know that she was a druggie? I agree with what someone said earlier - the only thing she did wrong was get caught. Everyone does really shady **** in private. Even YOU. People act like only bad people do drugs, or that drugs make people bad. I don't agree with that. And I don't think Kate Moss is a bad person. She's just a druggie. If that interferes with the way she manages day to day life, then that drug-head needs serious help. But I haven't seen any evidence that she's recklessly harming herself or others. All I see is pictures of her snorting coke and people going apeshit about it.

It seems like her drug use only became an issue after it became public. Kate was minding her own damn business, doing whatever the hell she was doing. Her acts only became public after some money-hungry picture snapping ******* sold her pictures to the press, who are obviously having a field day with it.

I don't think doing drugs is the worst thing anyone can do. Be it cocaine, or whatever. I just don't think drugs are that big of an issue in the whole scheme of things. A lot of people bring up the fact that she has a daughter and that she should set a better example for her, which I'm really sympathetic to... but unless she's snorting cocaine in the presence of her daughter I really don't see how that concerns anyone. That's a moral issue and no one is in a position to tell someone else how they should live their lives morally. This is probably going to upset a lot of people, and I really don't care because that's exactly how I feel. People are under the impression that there's only one way to be a good parent, when in fact there are about a billion different ways a parent can do a good job raising their children. Who here doesn't have a mother or father who did or continues to do something that people would consider morally reprehensible? But that doesn't mean they're bad people.
There is no way I could agree more. Thanks

22-09-2005
PopWillEatItself

This was in the Media section of Guardian.co.uk under the date 15 September... I think it is a sum up of the situation and an answer to those who think that something like this is enough to smash the image of Kate Moss's (or of any celebrity of her calibre):

Chic and cheerful
The Daily Mirror splashes "Cocaine Kate" Moss photos across the first five pages of the paper today. The story reads: "With her blonde hair hanging untidily around her shoulders, the model icon, worth £30m prepares up to 20 lines of coke in just 40 minutes." But what's this on page 36? How to "steal" the "stunningly chic Mossy look" of the "undisputed queen of boho". No mention of using a five-pound note and a CD cover, though.

Talking about serious journalism and consistency (and I am referring to the Mirror of course).....

Last edited by melt977; 22-09-2005 at 03:56 AM.
22-09-2005
PopWillEatItself

And this is on today's Guardian site (regarding predictions on her career and police investigations):

Moss was pictured snorting cocaine in a tabloid newspaper last week, and public relations expert Max Clifford said fashion companies had traded on her party girl image to boost their brands. But pictures of her snorting class A drugs meant they risked being commercially damaged by association. "Companies suspecting she's taking drugs is one thing, but when it's shown, it's a different ball game. It risks damaging them in the only way they care about, financially," he said. Mr Clifford also assessed her career as "rapidly disintegrating".

Moss was pictured last week consuming lines of the class A drug but police said they would only investigate if a complaint was received. However, yesterday senior sources told the Guardian they would investigate but were more interested in hunting down who supplied the drug to Moss, and the wider network of importation and distribution, than pursuing her.

The Metropolitan police commissioner, Sir Ian Blair, said he had ordered the investigation, having been swayed by the effect on "impressionable young people" of the snatched pictures of drug taking. He said: "If there is evidence something should be done about it."

The Met's investigation will review the information available and include asking the Daily Mirror to tell them who took the picture and what witnesses were present when the drug was allegedly taken. A senior Scotland Yard source said: "We want to look at the network behind it. We're not picking on her because of who she is." Moss is unlikely to face jail even if found guilty of drug use. The police source said: "If people admit using cocaine or go into rehab we give them a caution. It's very likely she'll be interviewed ... even if just for intelligence purposes."

22-09-2005
rising star

omg... i love this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/22/bu...ia/22moss.html

H&M reversed an earlier statement of support for Ms. Moss after customers called to complain, a spokeswoman said.
Advertising executives said the companies were bending to unexpectedly harsh public reactions in the scramble to distance themselves from Ms. Moss, whose outré reputation once benefited their images.

"This is all due to the fact that customers, or at least some of them, are saying no," said Sam Shahid, an advertising art director who was responsible for the racy Abercrombie & Fitch catalogs that were canceled in 2003 after calls for a national boycott. "This all comes down to money. It's the fear of losing business."

yep. i LOVE it when people actually take the time to complain about how they want her fired.

LOL! i guess fashionista support can only go so far.

22-09-2005
PopWillEatItself

And exactly why are you so fanatical about it? Has she taken away jobs from you or has she tried to sell you drugs? Why do you care so much?

22-09-2005
rising star

22 September 2005
KATE LOSS: IT JUST GETS WORSE

-Three more big names ditch drugs shame model -Top cop backs a probe into coke snort shocker
By Stephen Moyes And Justine Smith
COCAINE shame model Kate Moss (left) was yesterday dumped by three more fashion houses, losing a large chunk of her £4million income.

The devastated 31-year-old got the axe from Chanel, Burberry and Gloria Vanderbilt - as police chief Sir Ian Blair backed the decision to investigate her drug abuse.

Their move comes a day after clothes giant H&M scrapped Kate's £1million contract. But Rimmel, Christian Dior, H Stern and Fred Paris all pledged to stand by the star.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian said he was involved in the decision to probe Kate's drug use after Mirror revelations she snorted five lines of cocaine in 40 minutes with lover Pete Doherty in a London record studio. He said: "We have to look at the impact of this kind of behaviour on impressionable young people and if there is evidence something should be done about it. If we have an allegation about a person who is so much in the public eye and a role model it seems to me important that we investigate."

Maximum penalty for possessing cocaine is six months in jail, a £5,000 fine or both. But police have indicated Kate could escape with a warning if she admits the crime. Sir Ian, who in February vowed to clamp down on middle- class drug users, is known to be against such a move.

He has hit out as the soft treatment of celebrities caught snorting cocaine - such as James Hewitt who was let off with a caution last September.

He said: "I can remember a previous individual who was given a caution. I think that was a wrong decision."

Kate, 31, was in tears when Chanel told her it would not be renewing her £750,000-a-year contract as the face of Coco Mademoiselle perfume. Chanel's Julie Le Blevec said: "Kate has a contract until the end of October.

"We are not planning to stop the adverts before then."

The firm insisted the axe had nothing to do with drug abuse.

But a source said: "Bosses do not want the risk of this happening again. Kate has been great for them but enough is enough and the end has come."

Burberry added: "Kate has worked successfully with Burberry over the years.

"However, we have never had a contract with her to be the face of Burberry.

"We had one project scheduled with Kate for this autumn and in the circumstances both she and Burberry have mutually agreed it is inappropriate to go ahead.

"Kate has always been highly professional for Burberry. We are saddened by her circumstances and hope she overcomes her problems as soon as possible."

Denim firm Gloria Vanderbilt boss Jack Gross said: "We would have second thoughts about using Kate Moss again. We weren't aware of any issues with Kate prior to this campaign."

PR guru Max Clifford warned the model's career will collapse if she does not take drastic action.

He added: "She has a problem which could damage her career, her earnings and her life. Unless she goes on TV saying she's giving up things will get worse."

Elle Macpherson said of Kate: "She's in a very uncomfortable position. I'm sure it's difficult for her right now."

Last night one of the firms that still employ Kate backed their decisions. H Stern said: "We chose Kate because she is a style icon and everything beyond that is her personal and private life."

Dior added: "Is she still representing the brand? Good question. I can't answer that."

But both Rimmel and Fred Paris refused to comment. Boots, who sell Rimmel make-up said: "We stick by their decision."

Kate, who has has yet to speak about the Mirror's revelations, last night failed to show up for friend Sadie Frost's lingerie show at the London Fashion Week.

An insider said: "There was a huge buzz over whether Kate would appear. There was disappointment when she didn't."

source - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
burberry, chanel, kate, moss, ways