How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-09-2005
front row

Chanel & Burberry part ways with Kate Moss
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/eu...oss.police.ap/

Quote:
PARIS, France (AP) -- Chanel will not renew a contract with Kate Moss that expires in October, but a spokeswoman said Wednesday it had nothing to do with recent publicity about the supermodel's alleged cocaine use.

"Kate Moss has a contract until the end of October," said Julie Le Blevec, spokeswoman for Chanel perfumes. She added: "We are not planning to stop the advertisements before then."

Moss has been the face of Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle perfume since 2002.

"The contract was always going to end in October," Le Blevec said.

She denied media reports that Chanel was dropping Moss and said the decision was not based on the model's recent reported acknowledgment of using drugs.

"It's not about renewing the contract or not. The contract finishes at the end of October and we don't have any projects with her," Le Blevec said.

H&M, Europe's largest fashion retailer, said Tuesday it would drop a planned advertising campaign with the 31-year-old model after it said she acknowledged recently using cocaine.

just fyi

21-09-2005
rising star

Oh no, snowball effect! I suppose Burberry, Dior and Rimmel will have to follow suit. Tsk. What an unthinking girl.

21-09-2005
Iowa Girl at Heart

It MAY have nothing to do with her recent actions, though. Her contract IS expiring... it's hard to tell. H&M is keeping her for sure, anyway.

21-09-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

H&M is not keeping her.
I've heard from several news sources burberry has decided not to continue with her DUE to her recent actions.
I wonder if Chanel will continue to run the old ads...

21-09-2005
trendsetter

the chanel adverts she's been in were all old anyway so i dont think her getting dumped from the was entirely to do with the whole drug thing, i hope dior dont dump her, cxan rimmel afford to dump her?

21-09-2005
Cinematic Vision

I don't think Rimmel would ever be able to replace her, and have the same impact.

21-09-2005
elementary.

am also intrigued as to wht rimmel will do ?
she gave them a v.tiny bit of an edge . . imo

Cinematic Vision

I so bored of hearing about the whole thing now to be honest..

21-09-2005
backstage pass

Poor Kate/

Models and movie stars should not be held up to saintly ethical moral
codes that we require of preachers, political leaders or teachers. Their jobs are to entertain us and to sell products. They are pretty faces, blank slates, tabula rasas on which to project a particular image, clothing brand, perfume, etc. So what if Kate does drugs? Not that I condone it, but her job is to sell clothes and look pretty not to be a role model. She never held herself out as such. How many models do drugs anyway? I don't think it has anything to do with how well she models clothes. This is about like the whole Bill Clinton sex scandal to me...ridiculous.

Most of the movie stars and models we see have substance abuse problems...it's not anything new or shocking...and frankly, it is none of the public's business.

- Leo Buscaglia
21-09-2005
scenester

now Burberry
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...442843,00.html

She doesnt deserve all this.

21-09-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
It MAY have nothing to do with her recent actions, though. Her contract IS expiring... it's hard to tell. H&M is keeping her for sure, anyway.
I read on imdb.com that H&M IS dropping her, even after initially saying they would keep her.

i like what Chantal had to say, but the thing is that when you live your life in the spotlight, people will expect certain things of you and will expect you to live up to certain standards. kate has been in the public eye for over ten years now. she should have known better.

21-09-2005
front row

she deserves every last termination of contract, very stupid woman. She only has her foolish self to blame. I hope Rimmel replaces her and she fades into obscurity.

21-09-2005
Cinematic Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine888
I read on imdb.com that H&M IS dropping her, even after initially saying they would keep her.
I think the reason why H+M said they were keeping her is because when the story broke they were asked straight away to make a decision for the press. But after rethinking and considering implications they decided to drop her.

21-09-2005
front row

Haute Fashion,aren't you being little bit too harsh?

front row

Kate Moss Dumped by Chanel & Burberry Too!
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but news story from the U.S. Times Online. H&M, now Chanel and Burberry too.

---------------------

Quote:

Moss coming down: dumped by big names, dogged by police

By Sam Knight, Times Online

Kate Moss had more bad news today when Chanel and Burberry said she would no longer star in their ad campaigns and the head of the Metropolitan police said examples should be made of celebrity drug takers.

NI_MPU('middle');Chanel announced this afternoon that Moss would not represent its Coco Mademoiselle fragrance once her current contract expires in October. Later, Burberry said it was cancelling a planned advertising campaign.

Chanel, which was rumoured to be seeking a younger woman to replace Moss, 31, before renewing her contract earlier this year, said the decision had nothing to do with recent tabloid allegations of cocaine abuse.

"Kate Moss has a contract until the end of October," said Julie Le Blevec, a spokeswoman for the French couturier. "The contract was always going to end in October."

Moss is reported to earn £750,000 a year from her role as the face of Coco Mademoiselle, a contract she won in 2002. The current poster campaign shows her wearing nothing but the perfume, a string of pearls and a black bowler hat.

Burberry became the third fashion label to end its association with Moss a few hours later. The company, which has used Moss to promote its distinctive checks for nearly five years, said a publicity campaign scheduled for autumn had been cancelled by mutual consent. Burberry said it was "saddened by her current circumstances" and wished Moss well.

News of the end of Moss's contracts came as Sir Ian Blair, the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, said any decision to bring charges against the model for her alleged drug abuse would depend on her influence on young people.

"We have to look at the impact of this kind of behaviour on impressionable young people and if there is evidence, something should be done about it," Sir Ian said.

The police chief said that he had been directly involved in the decision to order an investigation into Moss, which was announced last night, but that he did not want to comment on her case.

As for the Metropolitan Police's strategy of targeting drug dealers rather than drug users, Sir Ian said that the policy was "adaptable to the impact of events".

Since a tabloid newspaper published images purporting to show Moss taking cocaine last week, Britain's most celebrated model has been accused of having a £200-a-day drug habit and engaging in three-in-a-bed sex. Yesterday, the Swedish clothing chain H&M cut its ties with Moss.

Christian Dior, which also has a contract with Moss, has so far refused to comment on whether it will continue to work with her. Only Coty, the cosmetics company, has said it will honour the remainder of its three-year contract with the model, who is the face of its make-up brand Rimmel.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
burberry, chanel, kate, moss, ways