How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-07-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasha View Post
uhh...

next please. Won't we see one good campaign this season? LV blows, YSL is horrid, Chanel is stale beyond comparison, Prada is questionable, Dolce is just tacky, Burberry is weak, and I am sure Versace with Gisele will again be as insufferable as the previous two seasons.

No hope this season. I MISS 2006!!!!!!!!
Same here!

03-07-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
I kinda like the new pic and I really don't understand all this 'Heidi hate', she is really suited to this campaign, as is Freja, so IMO they work great together for this imagery.
Heidi was well suited to the last campaign also.
I agree with everything you said! she definitely suits the mood. and it's great to see Freja back in the Chanel campaign

so far this looks great, very unexpected at least for me

04-07-2009
V.I.P.

The second shot is something terrible!
Karl is not that good as a photographer...

V.I.P.

The best Chanel campaigns were Spring 2005, Fall 2005, Spring 2006 ie. those with Daria. They were the personification of the Chanel aesthetic. Very luxurious but also very 'street'.

This falls flat in comparison. Chanel girls frolicking in fields? It's a bit too romantic, don't you think?

05-07-2009
V.I.P.

the new one looks great! but i still like the first one wherein they're facing each other.

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
It's a bit too romantic, don't you think?
in these tough times, the consumer either looks for armorial structure to protect or seeks that romanticism as an escape. with this campaign, chanel gives that consumer both in spades. this ad campaign is a mind trip if nothing else.

the juxtaposition of these elements remains genius.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
The best Chanel campaigns were Spring 2005, Fall 2005, Spring 2006 ie. those with Daria. They were the personification of the Chanel aesthetic. Very luxurious but also very 'street'.
^couldn't agree more!

front row

I love this campaign so much. Freja looks stunning.

05-07-2009
V.I.P.

I'd like to see HQs...Karl always seems to come through when you can see the details... I hope there are many pics in this campaign!

05-07-2009
Ère de ℳodernité

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
in these tough times, the consumer either looks for armorial structure to protect or seeks that romanticism as an escape.
I've been questioning that logic since that economical crisis started. I've the feeling it's been used way too much as a excuse...

I could be wrong but I really don't think the majority of the designers customers have lost loads of $$$ in that crisis, nor did it really affect their lifestyle -- At least, that didn't happen to those I know, and everyone's still leading the same life they did before the crisis started...

I guess that's not the right thread to talk about it but it's been a couple of months i hear about that "argument" and i never really got it. As i know you're always good at developing your ideas, i thought that'd be interesting to talk about that with you.
If the mods judge it's not the right place to talk about it, you can always PM me if you feel like discussing it

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefrenchy View Post
I've been questioning that logic since that economical crisis started. I've the feeling it's been used way too much as a excuse...

I could be wrong but I really don't think the majority of the designers customers have lost loads of $$$ in that crisis, nor did it really affect their lifestyle ...
it doesn't affect anyone until it does. it's not until they lose their major account or get laid off from their cushy job or find out they can't retire anymore that it affects them. sales at almost every major department store -- especially in the luxury portion -- have declined. sure, we're all still shopping, but we're spending less. we're still buying a chanel trinket or two, but we're not splurging on a new 2.55 this season. we may replenish our lipstick and nail polish, but we're not throwing down a thousand bucks for a new pair of pumps.

it's not that people have radically altered their lifestyles, they're just making adjustments on the margins. seeing as fashion largely exists as a impulse business, as so many start to reign in their expenditures and submit to the uncertainty, the incidence of these splurges decrease and when they do, they're for less. you might still buy the chanel jacket, but you'll wait until you can get it 40% off.

Ère de ℳodernité

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
it doesn't affect anyone until it does. it's not until they lose their major account or get laid off from their cushy job or find out they can't retire anymore that it affects them. sales at almost every major department store -- especially in the luxury portion -- have declined. sure, we're all still shopping, but we're spending less. we're still buying a chanel trinket or two, but we're not splurging on a new 2.55 this season. we may replenish our lipstick and nail polish, but we're not throwing down a thousand bucks for a new pair of pumps.

it's not that people have radically altered their lifestyles, they're just making adjustments on the margins. seeing as fashion largely exists as a impulse business, as so many start to reign in their expenditures and submit to the uncertainty, the incidence of these splurges decrease and when they do, they're for less. you might still buy the chanel jacket, but you'll wait until you can get it 40% off.
While I agree with you on everything you said, I don't think all this make people look for something else in fashion -- like protection or a reason to escape, as you implied in your previous post.
But then, that may be because I'm basing my opinion on what I see around me.

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefrenchy View Post
While I agree with you on everything you said, I don't think all this make people look for something else in fashion -- like protection or a reason to escape, as you implied in your previous post.
But then, that may be because I'm basing my opinion on what I see around me.
consumer psychology is tricky. seeing as fashion remains a largely impulse business, it's the job of the designers to get inside the mind of the consumer and to figure out what's going to make us jump. right now, i'd argue, we have to competing ideas about what will make the consumer spend their hard earned cash even as they face uncertainty: it's something that's going to give them an edge to face it. a chanel jacket to gird oneself with in important meetings. an awesome chanel coat with which to head to work on a blustery day. the perfect cocktail number for that key networking event. the immaculate chanel gown for the social event of the season. we saw displays of all of that -- no matter WHAT industry in WHAT country, i'll add -- to cater to that.

the flipside of that thinking remains that in tough times, people want precious things that mean something to them as an escape from the harsh realities and constraints of the "real world." this is the outlandish shoe that may only get worn two or three times outside of the house, but that gets worn around the house endlessly. it's the piece of jewelry not on display on the day-to-day, but that the owner cherishes. it's the perfect piece of of-the-minute fashion that will shock and awe one's friend on that great night out. we also saw these here, but in lesser numbers. that's why i think this campaign works so well. it's about the romance of the brand of chanel without making reference to any of those pieces. it's trying to get that customer in the door through the sheer moodiness and emotion of this imagery. for those looking for the armor, they hope to snag them by showing them the best of what they've got, the perfect suit, a wonderful skirt, and the must-have jacket.

starving hysterical naked

Quote:
Heidi just ruins that new shot....
Freja, the setting, the color are all great.....but then you see Heidi....

Ugh.
I agree And I change my mind about this ad, it's disappointing... I'd like to see some shots only with Freja!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasha View Post
uhh...

next please. Won't we see one good campaign this season? LV blows, YSL is horrid, Chanel is stale beyond comparison, Prada is questionable, Dolce is just tacky, Burberry is weak, and I am sure Versace with Gisele will again be as insufferable as the previous two seasons.

No hope this season. I MISS 2006!!!!!!!!
Oh those were the days

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, beha, chanel, erichsen, f or w, freja, heidi, karl, lagerfeld, mount