Chanel 'Gabrielle' Handbags S/S 2017 by Karl Lagerfeld - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-03-2017
V.I.P.

Chanel 'Gabrielle' Handbags S/S 2017 by Karl Lagerfeld
First look at the new Chanel campaign for the Gabrielle handbag, designed by Karl Lagerfeld. Starring: Pharrell Williams, Kristen Stewart, Cara Delevinge & Caroline de Maigret.

WWD.COM

V.I.P.

Kristen looks lovely imo

12-03-2017
V.I.P.

Well, she doesn't look like that anymore. I find her Chanel Beauty campaigns much more stunning than the mainline ones. She's better in close-ups.

I'm indifferent about Pharrel's shot. His desperation with being tied to anything Chanel related has reached epic proportions. It's actually quite embarrassing. I've never seen someone so hungry for fashion acclaim. He's now like a modern day Becky Sharp!

Last edited by Benn98; 12-03-2017 at 12:52 PM.
12-03-2017
fashion insider

Karl has convinced me with Kristen. Her Redcarpet moments with Chanel may have not always been glorious but in the campaigns, she sell it!

I like Pharrell as a face of Chanel. He has worn Chanel Homme for quite some time now...Maybe 10 years ago. He has quite a different style that suit Chanel and he is confident enough to sell it.
I like the Gabrielle bag but i think that an all leather strap would have been more suited in order to appeal to a menswear audience.

The campaign is really good. Simple, effective and without a gimmicky styling. This is the direction they should take with Carine.

Chanel needs to redesign the Coco's cabas and to re-introduce it.

They are trying to introduce the Gabrielle as a new classic and i hope for them that it will work but for me the bag is not versatile enough. They have a lot of bags already (from past and current collections) that can be iconic as much as their Boy Bag.
The girl bag was a flop.

12-03-2017
V.I.P.

I love how senile Karl is that in his world Pharrell is still a big deal. Remember his Vive La Fete days? yeah..

12-03-2017
fashion insider

^^
But Vive La Fete has never been the face of Chanel. He liked them and they remained an underground group.
The same can be said about Cat Power. He was obsessed with her in the mid 00's.

The last person to perfom at a Chanel show was Sebastien Tellier. I don't think he is that famous for the mainstream audience.

I didn't know that Pharrell was "passť"...

Last edited by Lola701; 12-03-2017 at 03:44 PM.
12-03-2017
tfs star

Most of my friends who are not super fashion think Pharrell is cool and extremely relevant and they think he's very fashionable. I think since Karl's ties with G-Dragon, Pharrell seems like a good fit for me. I do like the simplicity of the campaign. I always enjoy Kristen for Chanel beauty more but this is good. I don't find the bag to be as exciting as when they launched Boy.

12-03-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
I didn't know that Pharrell was "passť"...
Well.... I wouldn't be surprised if he's still topping the charts next to placebo over there and selling out goodies at colette, but it's popular music, and it's pharrell, not scrambled eggs, of course it can be "passť".. especially when bad, and especially when bad and plagiarized.

What's funny about his enthusiasm with people like tellier and cat power is that they were doing their most recognizable work years earlier when he was introducing the impressionable fashionistas to the 'obscurity' of vive la fete sounds. Now looking forward to uncle karl raving about father john misty and turning him into an "ambassador" in 2022...

Last edited by MulletProof; 12-03-2017 at 05:30 PM.
12-03-2017
fashion insider

LOL
I see your point. But for me, Pharrell is stylish and it's all that matter. I don't try to really look at who is relevant or not because obviously, we have had enough of the Kendall & Gigi.

I'm enthusiastic about the fact that he is trying to push Chanel for men with a guy like Pharrell or even GD instead of the Insta-models,Kanye West, Travis Scott or even Asap Rocky (even if i like him).
Pharrell while obvious is not that obvious when we think about that.

He made Caroline De Maigret hot again so, he can also do the same thing for Pharrell (even if IMO he doesn't need that).

13-03-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
LOL

He made Caroline De Maigret hot again so, he can also do the same thing for Pharrell (even if IMO he doesn't need that).
I would argue that Caroline's book is what pushed her into the spotlight again, not Karl, but I am a huge fan so a little biased

13-03-2017
V.I.P.

So far, I'm not all too impressed with the outcome and just don't understand the hype around Pharrell's affiliation with Chanel. How they could market this handbag as unisex is beyond me and to add insult to injury, that Chanel jacket doesn't look good on him either in the third shot. I do, however, look forward to seeing how the rest of the campaign looks (because I happen to love the design of the bag itself).

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
Now looking forward to uncle karl raving about father john misty and turning him into an "ambassador" in 2022...
No, let this NEVER, EVER happen, please!! He's way above Chanel, sorry.

13-03-2017
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
Now looking forward to uncle karl raving about father john misty and turning him into an "ambassador" in 2022...
I'm hoping for a L'Eau D'Egoiste campaign. I would totally buy it just for Joshua.

3 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Kristen Stewart:

CHANEL. COM

trendsetter

Pharrell pictures are perfect!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2017, chanel, gabrielle, handbags, karl, lagerfeld, s or s