How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-12-2011
V.I.P.

Surprised that this is actually decent after last season's disaster of a campaign. The styling is questionable but overall the shots work well.

22-12-2011
trendsetter

Second shot untagged

22-12-2011
fashion insider

I don't like Saskia, i think she is a very bad model, I love Joan she is great but bad in photos.
But this campaign, OMFG, it's so AMAZING!
I really love Carine, you could expect something obvious under the sea princess, but these strong, atheltic and young women, so out of the blue, but at the same time it's very Chanel.

22-12-2011
French Chic

Well that first picture has got me. I just find it visually very pleasing.
Beautiful and serene.
Second pic.......not so much and as everyone has said....SHOES!!!!

V.I.P.

it looks perfect for Chanel, and I also love seeing the clothes in action!

22-12-2011
old-fashioned

Wow I really didn't see this coming! It's so beautiful.
I was among the minority who liked last season's campaign, but it was indeed gimmicky - a better idea of an editorial than a campaign, I guess, especially for a brand like Chanel. Now this is on another level. This is a real nice change.

V.I.P.

Saskia's doing everything for me recently, I'm overwhelmed at these. Karl was right to hire Carine as stylist, I assume she deserves the credit, since Karl's past Chanel campaigns have been average.

V.I.P.

The campaign is exactly as i supposed it to turn out. Sorry, but there is no need in freja and stella here (however i like `em both), because they`re not toned at all. girls in this campaign should have muscles, at least a bit. I think Lagerfeld used an idea of retro shoots of sport (1930s or something) that`s the reason of these sandals, and these poses. Though i supposed they used more of the hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in Antibes on the background, i mean their outdoor landscape: pool, sea, white frontside and girl won`t just float in the air, though this is just the beginning of the story and there must be more of what i was expected to see... can`twait for my catalog mmm)

fashion insider

people make all kind of judgements on 1 & a half shots; added the fact that karl shot this- let's not go too far, chanel hasn't REALLY had an AMAZING campaign for a while. im not afraid to say it, karl lagerfeld isn't that dope of a photographer. part of why chanel lacks the same creative excitement as other labels is because karl is, in some ways, too heavily involved. though brilliant, he can do some things better than others & all he does is shoot in black & white, like, are you serious? chanel is so boring, karl should retire & a new person should take the helm at chanel, fashion needs a good shake up.

joan stays winning & this is an incredible addition to her already incredible portfolio.
though just one shot, i like the simplicity of the shot & the whole gymnastic element. hoping that joan has a solo shot in the full campaign like saskia.

Last edited by jeremydante; 22-12-2011 at 03:13 PM.
22-12-2011
fashion insider

I was hoping for a model change, but this really wasn't the type of change I was hoping for. I feel like Saskia is a bit lacking in presence and I don't think Joan wears the clothing well at all.

An die Freude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Sex Friend View Post
The campaign is exactly as i supposed it to turn out. Sorry, but there is no need in freja and stella here (however i like `em both), because they`re not toned at all. girls in this campaign should have muscles, at least a bit. I think Lagerfeld used an idea of retro shoots of sport (1930s or something) that`s the reason of these sandals, and these poses. Though i supposed they used more of the hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in Antibes on the background, i mean their outdoor landscape: pool, sea, white frontside and girl won`t just float in the air, though this is just the beginning of the story and there must be more of what i was expected to see... can`twait for my catalog mmm)
That's a good point. Depending on how pronounced the sport theme casting more athletic models than in the past is a good decision.

22-12-2011
tfs star

Wow... I'm in awe with this campaign. I must admit that Karl has really outdone himself. It's very retro, very Chanel. What a stupendous job.

Joan and Saskia look amazing. Love the backdrop, I'm glad it wasn't a studio shoot. And considering I thought the S/S collection was god awful this campaign is turning out to be spectacular.

It definitely has surpassed my expectation.

front row

This ad campaign reminds me of the images from Vogue back in the 30's and 40's. I think it is super fresh for now TBH

backstage pass

Very retro and sporty. It's not at all what I was expecting but it's very nice and cute. Very un-karl and un-chanel.

22-12-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepetitcouturier View Post
Its okay, don't get me wrong. Burly I feel the group shot is a little awkward. Not to mention I detest Joan Smalls, but I understand she was cast because of all the crap Karl was getting for was not using black models in a few seasons. I was just hoping for more color and more whimsy. And I hate to admit it, but I miss Freja. I feel it's not a Chanel campaign without her. And saskia, freja and Stella would have been amazing together.
Oh NO YOU DIDN'T!!!...Really?! you REALLY think that Joan was only used because Karl was getting crap??? If anything you should realize by now that absolutely no one makes Karl do what Karl does not want to do. Joan is in there because he wanted her not because he got crap for not using models of color! The fact that you stated how much you detest her is obviously making you bias... I shall stop right here before the mods have reason to send me any warnings or reminders, otherwise rest assured you would have gotten it!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, brauw, chanel, joan, karl, lagerfeld, s or s, saskia, smalls